Thread: Very Cheap Acupuncture - Fully Supervised Student Clinic (Melbourne)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Default Very Cheap Acupuncture - Fully Supervised Student Clinic (Melbourne)

The Southern School of Natural Therapies Chinese Medicine student clinic is now open and accepting bookings for all pregnant mums, dads, babies, and children.

With a long history of treating gynaecological, obstetric, and paediatric conditions, Chinese Medicine's holistic perspective on health & well-being means that all treatments focus on the client's individual needs.

Treatments involve the use of Acupuncture, Chinese Herbal Medicine, dietary and lifestyle advice, and a range of other traditional methods. Chinese medicine can be of great benefit in treating complaints such as:

? menstrual problems
    ? fertility issues
    ? Morning Sickness
    ? fluid retention
    ? headaches & migraines
    ? post-partum issues
    ? lactation issues
    ? PND
    ? common colds, coughs, etc
    ? digestive complaints (colic, etc)
    ? recurrent upper respiratory tract infections
    ? allergies, asthma, eczema
    ? sleep disorders

Our fully equipped clinic is operated by final-year students fully supervised by experienced practitioners. It is conveniently located off Brunswick St, Fitzroy, and close to public transport.

Consultation fees are $25 for adults and $15 for children; herbs and other products are additional at affordable rates. Concession rates are available for students, pensioners, and healthcare card holders.

The Chinese Medicine clinic is open at the following times:
    ? Mondays 9am-3pm
    ? Tuesdays 9am-9pm
    ? Fridays 9am-9pm
    ? Saturdays 12pm-6pm

The SSNT student clinic also offers Naturopathy, Clinical Myotherapy, and Massage Therapies. For further details, check out the website at Our student clinic offers treatments in Naturopathy, Myotherapy, Tradtional Chinese Medicine, Relaxation Massage and An m tui na or Chinese Remedial Massage.

Bookings preferred but not essential. Please call 94161448 to arrange a time at your convenience.

Southern School of Natural Therapies
    Chinese Medicine Student Clinic
    45 Victoria St, Fitzroy
    (runs between Brunswick St & Nicholson St)

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

*bump*

Awesome!

Smile

I am really keen to commence acupuncture now that I am 27 weeks, but really am not sure where to go. I love the idea of the student clinic, but I guess a little more aware about who treats me because I have another little person to consider Any thoughts??

Hi Mummato3,

I can understand your concerns regarding being treated by a student. Let me reassure you that you will get quality when you go to the SSNT student clinic.

In regards to training, the Gynae/Obs subject is one of the biggest and most intensive subjects in the course, both because of the sheer amount of knowledge when it comes to the Chinese Medicine history of taking care of pregnant women, but also because of the complexities involved in pregnancy - as you say, you have "another little person to consider". A lot of the principle behind 'treating' the pregnant mum is that the healthier mum is, the healthier bub will be - if mum is healthy and balanced, birth will be uncomplicated, and you potentially have a child that will not suffer from serious illnesses - this is preventative medicine at its finest.

the other thing to keep in mind when attending a Student Clinic is that you're not just getting a student practitioner, but also a highly experienced trained professional supervising the treatment (think of it as two for the price of one). I know that many of the supervisors there are actually very experienced with pregnancy and birth, and in fact one of them has written a textbook on the subject and is quite well known in gynae/obs circles. Nothing gets done without the ok of the attending supervisor, so you can rest assure that you (and bub) are getting quality attention.

Just like choosing a Midwife, the real trick is whether you can establish that bond of trust with a (student) practitioner - and that of course is not an issue confined to a student clinic alone.

I can't speak for all the student-prax there, but I am aware that there are several mums, a homebirth dad (me), and even a grandma. Most of us are 'mature-age' students, so you won't be seeing a naive post-teenager with little life/parenting/pregnancy experience. the gender split is about 50/50, and of course you can choose who you'd like to see.

I would suggest giving it a go - if you find it doesn't work for you that's fine. There are plenty of professional practitioners out there who could help you with what you are needing.

The other thing to consider is that combining herbal medicine with acupuncture is good, especially from about 30 weeks onwards, as we look at building up your energies to prepare for the birth, and also boost bubs with what they need in the final few weeks. Interestingly enough, I just read that some research has come out that suggests that a foetus sends hormonal messages to the mum to let mum's body know that it has finished 'cooking', and that's what starts labour off - this chemical signal is triggered only after the lungs of the foetus have fully developed. In CM, we understand that the organs/channels also develop as each month goes on, ending finally in the 10th month with the Lungs (another scientific validation for CM understanding of pregnancy) - oh and by the way, gestation is understood to be 10 lunar months long - that's 42 weeks, folks! From our point of view, 42 weeks is completely normal, and desirable. So treatment of the mum also involves understanding what development is occurring inside the womb, and providing herbs that encourage what is going on for bub.

I have to say, I cringe every time I use the word "treat" as it has such a clinical ring to it. In CM we don't see pregnancy as an illness - yes things can get out of whack and go wrong, but that is not considered the norm. CM sees pregnancy and birth as normal physiological processes, and our use of herbs, acupuncture, diet, qigong, etc is designed to nourish and nurture the mum, so she can nourish her child. But yes, we can also provide assistance when things get out of balance. Prevention is our motto, so as long we ensure mum is happy and healthy, then issues like pre-ecclampsia, oedema, hypertension, GD, etc, etc, are avoided.

Anyway, enough babbling. If you feel comfortable about it, then come on in. We don't bite. Its totally up to you. You need to feel comfortable, safe, and happy about ANY practitioner (regardless of modality) when it comes to pregnancy, and CM prax are no different.

Good luck.

Pete

Thankyou so much for that Peter...I feel much more reassured now. Being a mature age student myself (final year of midwifery) I think there is always that concern that you might strike a 19 year old with limited life experience, let alone the very unique experience of being 'with child' Will give the school a call today!!

thanks for the info! this one is nice and close too! want to try it out for pregnancy stuff and help with PND stuff (if i need it this time).