Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: High Fire Alert - Warburton Valley and surrounds

i'm in croydon for a little while, wanted to get out of the house and needed to get something for dinner anyway....will head back in a couple of hours.
    i just don't feel comfortable. i hope we never ever have a day like that day again.

Eeeks the smoke from the fire at Lysterfield fire looks a lot closer than it is! Hope nobody is in danger there ATM

SugarDust Guest

My fingers are crossed as my aunt and uncle live in Warburton and own a cafe there!

I hope it doesn't eventuate to anything!

My DH is trying to get home from work and has been diverted twice. Wellington rd is closed, tried Glenfern Rd to Upwey but that was blocked off. Ended up going Burwood hwy through upwey and belgrave and he said it's bumper to bumper people leaving coming from belgrave sth and there's traffic everywhere down burwoody hwy to FTG. At least he's on he's not far away now, but frustrating not to be able to get info on road closures quickly. It took over an hour for them to go up on the website and it doesn't look like they're all there still.

I agree Raven. I went to FG at 3.30pm and it looked so close I almost turned around and came home without getting out of the car, I talked myself into popping in for half an hour and when I came back out it did appear that there was less smoke, and I thought that it might be out, however the news says that it is still going. I thought it was at Lyterfield, but they are saying its in Upway?! with Lysterfield a threat.

Urgent Threat Message - Nixon Road Fire Upwey 5.15pm 23/02/2009

Urgent Threat Message for residents in the vicinity of Nixons Road Upwey and surrounding areas

Be careful guys!!!!!

EEWw, the smoke is close as! It's heading north now. Just had to go back to Woori and pick up the geriatric pooch again, and there are plumes of smoke from Healesville and the close to Warbie fires to, so combine that with the Upwey smoke and its not a great place to be right now. Glad I'm home again.

Oh Upper FTG lost a truck too....bugger.
    PHEW Rains, glad you went to Croydon after all, the conditions change way to quick.

It's at Birdsland Reserve which is very close to Lysterfield and all just parkland/bush. A house has already been lost in Belgrave south. The roads are packed and service stations are extra busy as well. Stay safe everyone.

There are so many people affected on BB right now - I'm hoping everyone is ok. Has anyone heard from Mayness? Is she ok?

Is everyone safe? For those evacuating, have you done so?

Thinking of you all down there and hoping you and your families/friends stay safe.

*mutters* we're still here. All the choppers have finished and it seems to be quietening down - not sure if our CCC is open tomorrow so I'll be at home ... very, very smokey here.

we're home too, glad to hear it's quitened down where you are kaz, that's good news. been keeping my eye on cfa site but there's no update.

Emerald was completely out for another reason tonight. A car caught on fire at the shell service station, about 3 cars burnt out and the building has been damaged. We drove there (we're in ****atoo) to get petrol to see it all closed off and the whole town shut down. A lady has been airlifted to the Alfred with serious burns. We then had to drive half an hour to pakenham to the next closest petrol station. Don't want to be stuck here without petrol in the case we need to evacuate suddenly.

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

SIL to be is at her parents in woodend and they are packing cars as caravan park 5 mins drive away just been evactuated.

so out west aswell now

tecoma fire - latest fire map as of 19:10.

150h - sheeesh! It's up to Glenfern Rd at least. Guess I'll be staying home tomorrow, the CCC will likely be closed. Hmmm. Play centre or relief centre?

thought I'd find you girls here
    Well, looky here - DP's boss has allowed him to stay in area tomorrow to turn out! Pigs ARE flying!
    Glad everyone had a good fire plan to stick to. I'm really getting annoyed at people calling and texting me when a fire hits locally to see what they should do. Usually, they're texting when I'm packing our bags into the car and the dogs are hoping I'll hurry up before they run out of air I'm not sitting on an ivory tower watching it all happen, I'm in the thick of it too...enacting...my...fire...plan...would help if these people did the same, instead of assuming that I'm their fire plan?? Just a quick vent, sorry. That and I can't sms back properly when I'm in adrenaline-mode...
    So, great vantage point from the fire station - watching the wind change and fire head back to my dad's general direction...who insists on staying to defend a house that's on the market with all valuables on the Gippsland Lakes at the permanent address...grrrr...
    Also, for half the arvo, I was worried about where I keep my horse, as it was spotting over in that general direction, before the wind change. Relief on one hand about wind change...but it could only mean bad things for where I was, by the same token - double edge sword!
    Hope all Warby people are doing well off their mountain. My Warby friends are out of area, thank goodness.
    Going to bed and hoping to have a normal day tomorrow. DS would really appreciate that.

glad to see you're back safe & sound Maya - not good about the appliance though

the news are saying that 3 fireys injured, 2 already released with minor burns and the other still in, not good at all.

assuming this was deliberate light?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12