Thread: "How is that news?"

Default "How is that news?"

You know I reckon I see the comment "And how is this news? Report on x/y/z instead" on almost every online news story. Big example right now is the Duke and Duchess expecting another baby - personally I think it's wonderful news, I'm happy for them, and I think there is a place in the media for this type of reporting. I mean you're obviously not going to see it right along side a piece about ISIS, but I think it does have a place.

But I just keep seeing "who cares", "I'm having a baby too, why don't you report that?" That last one annoys me the most. Yes, it is wonderful news every time someone gets pregnant or has a baby, but are you someone the world knows? And I get frustrated at seeing that just because a news source had reported something like this they must be rubbish or not looking for the "real" news? Why can't they have a section that's not so hard hitting, just a bit of fluff?

So I'm wondering does anyone else get annoyed at these comments? Or are you on the other side and annoyed at those stories?

Default Re: "How is that news?"

I get annoyed when ppl say 'why wasn't my pg announcement international news?' Ahh because you aren't the wife of the 2nd in line to the throan that is why...duh.

But yes, I do struggle to find what I class as real news, which is anything that isn't celebrity related or opinionated fluff. Espicially on TV...

Oh yeah, I'm with you on the tv news! Especially 7, 9, & 10 - they've got a limited time to show their news and the stuff they show is kind of irrelevant. I don't watch news on tv at all anymore.

I'm looking more from a perspective of online news - there's such s huge range, you can find what you want. So if there's someone on the entertainment or lifestyle section of The Age website and they're whinging that's it's not real news, you're just in the wrong spot buddy. No one makes them read and comment about the Duchess being pregnant, they can go elsewhere.

Default "How is that news?"

A lot of people are jerks. I've come to realise. I miss the days where I didn't have to hear/read every single thought that popped into someone's head. I like the days when I used to think everyone was kinda nice. Now I just accept that most people are pretty self centred and awful.

And I don't mean it's not ok to have an opinion. You don't think something is news that's fine. But posting it in an aggressive way on a news article is stupid. If you look through every single newspaper you'll find lots of articles that don't appeal to you. You just move on. You don't write a scathing letter with few to share with the editor how you are no longer going to buy their newspaper like some passive aggressive school child. We live in an age where we are so selfish everything must be for us. And if it's not for us we have every right to stamp our feet and complain about it. And in a pretty horrible way too.

So yes I don't have a problem with people not caring about celebrities or even the latest iphone. But I'd love it if we all stopped being a bunch of wingers.

(Says the grumpy old woman with an opinion)

yes i agree. Pregnancy announcements of the famous, are always cause for the jerks to come out. On the royal announcement, I have seen people comment on 'why report on those who get pregnant, when there are others out there who can't, the miscarriages, the stillbirths, those who need ivf, or surrogacy'. I personally find it offensive that a happy story has to alway be brought down with the negatives. I dunno, it annoys me that people have to always spin the negative side of happy stories. Sometimes I think people need to be reminded of the saying 'if you can't say anything nice, then don't say anything at all'

I agree that people should keep those thoughts to themselves, but I also think it's sad they "had" to announce early because of her HG and the rumours that float around all the time. It takes away what should be a lovely time for THEM. Not the rest of the world. So, yes I was frustrated by this, because people seem to think that it's their business to know and it's not. It's Kate and Williams business to announce when they want to, not because of pressure from the media. It's lovely news, that should stay lovely and not be spoiled by pressure and comments like the ones you are referring to.

I hate it as well, and try not to read the comments people post. It like our SA Police FB page. People quite often post and say something like "about time you did something SAPOL" or "what no donuts today" it makes me so mad.

If you turn on TV, all you see's a bunch of "what the ****s"
    Dude is dating so and so, blabbering 'bout such and such
    And that ain't Jersey Shore, homey, that's the news
    And these the same people supposedly telling us the truth
    The media is a weapon of mass distraction.
    When they make a big deal out of Kate and Wills being with child, changes to our immigration act that will allow employers to pay overseas workers less than Australian workers (thus removing the incentive to look for Australian workers), slip to the back page.

Some people find the idea of a monarchy in 2014 anachronistic, even offensive.

Some people find offense in just about everything. Have your opinion, realise it won't always be the same as others, but don't feel entitled to ram it down everyone's throat at every possible opportunity.

Quote Originally Posted by Phteven View Post
    The media is a weapon of mass distraction.
    When they make a big deal out of Kate and Wills being with child, changes to our immigration act that will allow employers to pay overseas workers less than Australian workers (thus removing the incentive to look for Australian workers), slip to the back page.

Quote Originally Posted by nothing2lose View Post
    Some people find the idea of a monarchy in 2014 anachronistic, even offensive.
    Agree with both of these honestly. I definitely think it has it's place to be reported on, but the hype just bores me and has me rolling my eyes so far into the back of my head.

Lol. Yeah I get sick of seeing it on facebook - it seems like every page I've liked is posting it and if I've seen it once that's enough. But that's kind of the point, I'm not commenting on every page after the first one that they should get over it and stop posting crap. I just scroll on by.

And I'm certainly not a monarchist. I don't believe we need to be attached to them. But even if we weren't, I'd be happy for them and not offended to see a quick report that they're having another baby.

Quote Originally Posted by PumpkinZulu View Post
    Agree with both of these honestly. I definitely think it has it's place to be reported on, but the hype just bores me and has me rolling my eyes so far into the back of my head.
    ^ this but it's awesome fodder for satirists and other funny folk.
    And I just adore the Scottish independence conspiracy theory.

I don't have a problem with hearing about a baby being due that's somewhere in line for the throne. Monarchy has been news for centuries.
    I don't like hearing "They have announced the pregnancy before Kate has even reached the "safe" period". This was on morning radio the other day and I am one who thinks there is no "safe" period in pregnancy.
    As for news reporting I do dislike the news media being so lazy that they "report" on a press release they have been fed about the latest bra (or other consumer item)that's been developed or some new real estate that's for sale.