Thread: More stupid TV crap...how can they air this rubbish?

Thumbs down More stupid TV crap...how can they air this rubbish?

I go this from yesterdays Age. I LOVE the writer Catherine Deveny....

Get bitter and resentful as Gangs of Oz reveals how un-Australian those pesky immigrants can be.

IF YOU'VE been thinking what we need on television is more "They come to this country with gold bars shoved up their arse. FACT. The Government gives them a taxi and $300,000 as soon as they get off the boat. FACT. They steal our jobs, marry our women, live in ghettos, sell drugs, form gangs and take over the streets. FACT." Well, Channel Seven has been reading your mind. One viewing of Gangs of Oz and you'll wonder if the Grand Dragon of the Ku Klux Klan is now head of programming.

Gangs of Oz, is a cross between Underbelly and a White Supremacists R Us advertisement. Before you go making any hasty assumptions, sure, it may appear to be racist propaganda but it's an "observational documentary" exploring the anthropological and sociological context of ethnic gangs. It's not, I repeat, not wog/Muslim/Asian/anyone who has a funny name, eats funny food, or speaks funny, bashing, OK? OK.

Tonight on Gangs Of Oz we take a look inside Middle Eastern crime in Australia. "The criminal in the Middle Eastern sense is more of a coward than your general criminal. They will hide in the dark and attack in numbers. They'd rather use a gun than stand in a fist fight." That's from a cop. I love that! Let me get this right; there are good criminals and bad criminals. It's fine to kill, bash, terrorise or intimidate as long as you're Australian about it. If not you'll be shamed with words such as "gutless", "coward" or, worse still, "un-Australian". If you're going to shoot someone through the kneecaps, a bit of honour, thanks, mate.

Enter a world of territorial violent thugs; drugs, sex, money, and gang politics. Nothing new. What was new was it was the first time I'd heard a voice-over spoken in bold, underlined, italics Incite Panic font.

"The Middle Eastern criminal is an irrational criminal. Nothing makes too much sense. They fight and kill over trivial issues." Not like Australian gangs. Middle Eastern criminals are "highly strung, arrogant and not accepting of any authority whatsoever". They have "utter contempt and disrespect for the law". Right, not like those nice, knockabout, true blue, fair dinkum criminals.

Despite the assertions of a "violent world", "extreme brutality" and "carnage in the streets", the only victims appear to be two (white Aussie) murdered footballers, one of the footballers' fathers, and a (white Aussie) mother and her baby narrowly missed by a bullet. The (white Aussie) cops are fighting the good fight. They assert the problem is with the families. Cut to a man of Middle Eastern appearance in handcuffs and a woman the age of his mother, wearing a hijab, sobbing. Yep. Blame the mother.

If you're one of those "I'm not a racist, but ?" kind of folk, you're in for a top night. Pull up a chair and drape yourself in the Cronulla Cape.

Channel Seven, well done. What next ? Racists Say the Darndest Things?

I thought you might have been referring to 'Out of the Blue" - now THAT is one crappy TV show.

I haven't seen it, Ms Deveny probably veered me away from that one too. Even the ads looked crap for that.

I feel dirty reading about it.... Obviously another reason to avoid watching the rubbish on TV....

Oh I read that too Lulu! It sounds like complete [email protected] and I will be avoiding like the plague.

I'd love to meet the gang who *doesn't* have a problem with authority lmfao.

What else could you expect from channel 7??

Ditto marlene, They would probably put ads on every 5 minutes anyway

Is that for real? I have never heard of that show!
    It isn't propaganda you know, so long as it is filmed with a handheld camcorder and under the guise of 'observational documentarianism' lol

Quote Originally Posted by Marlene View Post
    What else could you expect from channel 7??
    Exactly my thoughts.They love this type of thing.It's seriously disgraceful.

i lived with only channel 2 and SBS for over 2 years - only got the other channels when we moved in here because the set top box automatically programmed them.

the commercial channels are 96% rubbish t.v - stick to SBS!