Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: OOhh, I just got a txt from the Vic Police - Fire Warning!

Post OOhh, I just got a txt from the Vic Police - Fire Warning!

did anyone else get one too?

"Extreme weather in Vic expected Mon night and Tues. High wind and fire risk. Listen to Local ABC Radio for emergency updates. Do not reply to this msg."

Wow

i'd say everyone with a mobile registered to a Vic addy should have gotten one babe - both DH and I did, and i know a few others that have.

it's a small but welcome gesture...

Wow thats scary- I hope there is not going to be a repeat of "Black Saturday".

Stay safe....

I got one too.Must be everyone in Vic.

Yep just checked the mobly and I got one too

This was emailed to me from a news site

TEXT messages have been used for the first time to alert Victorians to dangerous weather conditions as fire fears grow, the Herald Sun reports

With fires and severe storms predicted across the state, Telstra has started sending text messages to Victorian customers warning them of the conditions, and other mobile phone providers are expected to do the same.

Emergency Services Commissioner Bruce Esplin said it was the first time SMS had been used in this way, and it was hoped the service would alert those who did not listen to radio, watch television or read newspapers.

"It's effectively an electronic doorknock,'' Mr Esplin said.

But The Mercury reports the alerts are causing confusion in Tasmania, with Telstra unable to distinguish between their Victorian and Tasmanian customers.
    Tasmanian Police have assured those in the Apple Isle the messages only apply north of the Strait.

The plan has been put in place as emergency services workers used the strongest possible language to warn people of the severe weather threat tomorrow.

Storm damage and raging fires are expected in both regional and metropolitan areas, with wild winds predicted across the state.

Emergency Services Commissioner Bruce Esplin said this morning that extreme winds tonight followed by a volatile change tomorrow would lead to dangerous conditions for the next 50 to 60 hours.

"Conditions as forecast by the bureau are for extreme fire danger followed by an extreme storm event, comparable with Ash Wednesday, Black Saturday, and after the change, the storm event of April last year,'' Mr Esplin said.

He said emergency services were prepared but the community must also play their part.

"We need people to understand that tonight will be of some danger. We need people to be aware, prepared and alert,'' he said.

CFA chief officer Russell Rees said firefighters would start firefighting preparations at 8pm tonight instead of 8am tomorrow morning, and urged Victorians to also enact their fire plans early.

"Let me assure you that we are not crying wolf.

"The reason we are saying these things is so that we can say at the end that we got through this together,'' Mr Rees said.

He said if people were planning to leave their homes, they should leave tonight rather than tomorrow morning.

"Let me assure you we are warning the people of Victoria that this situation is very dangerous for us and let me assure you that if we do our work, together, we can survive and we can come through this so that we are able to say that things didn't eventuate.

"All the indications for the weather are that we are in for a severe fire and storm event.''

yep got mine about 3 pm today didnt think I would get one been in Berwick maybe they are just texting all of vic.... lets just that there are no new fires and the ones we have dont get any worse

Yeah, I'm glad its out there.

Just spoke to DP and I have to go and get him and the dogs (AGAIN), there are a couple of fires pretty close that are 'controlled' but they say there are a few in the ground that could get whipped back up again with the 140k (!) winds.

Hope this is all over soon, but I don't think there is rain forecast.

Tinkerbell, Julie Doula et al, I hope you lot are outta there already.

I didn't get one! Boo hooooooo.

I actually didn't get a text?

DH and i both got a text

Its to all phones on all towers in VIC as far as I know... MIL & FIL got one and they are here visiting from perth.

Just seen it on the news....stay safe everyone
    Xxx

Yep got one here... after I read it my first thought was: when will a BB member start a thread about it! LOL Onya Lulu

I think it's a great initiative, long overdue. I can think of many instances where everyone in a certain locale should be alerted: Gunman on the loose in Melbourne CBD, Major blackout in CBD (don't use lifts), flash flooding, terrorism... BG's given birth

feeb is offline Thankful for the kindness of my 2012 RAK making me Life member

I got one around 2pm.

Gees Nelle, now we feel really important!

Danni it might only be to towers that are in range of the affected areas.

i've already evacuated with the two kids. too scary to hang around. dh is staying up there by himself and keeping an eye on everything.
    hope everyone else is doing ok xox

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast