Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Premmie Mums #9

Congratulations Shazzi...I hope you have a long uneventful pregnancy

Quote Originally Posted by teresa View Post
    as for feeding, our paed said to go by actual age. i guess every paed is different.
    I think it may have to do with how prem your bub is.
    My 35 weeker pretty much went with her actual age...but my 28 and 25 weekers went more with their corrected age.
    It also has a lot to do with the individual baby.

DD1 ex 33 weeker was corrected by her Paed, but the same Paed hasn't worried about correcting our 35 weeker, which we are more than happy to agree with

Apparently the gut does start to work inline with their actual age, but it only grows as big as the baby gets, if that makes sense, so it would be unrealistc to expect a very early prem to be eating the same as the label on a tin of Formula says at that age, sometimes even taken their corrected age into account. Quite a few of the very early/very small bubs tend to encounter bigger stomach and bowel issues in comparrison to larger/closer to term bubs, because verything is that much smaller and wasn't really "designed" to carry food at that size..... Those are my thoughts anyway

Agree with RB and Beema, my 30 weeker is still being corrected, 34 weeker has never been corrected. Funnily enough though it's the 34 weeker that has the gut problems and lung problems. Each baby is different, even those born at the same gestation.

There is a formula used to get the correct amount, I used to have it written down, it uses their actual age and weight to work out how much fluid they need rather than going on just age.

Quote Originally Posted by black_rose View Post
    There is a formula used to get the correct amount, I used to have it written down, it uses their actual age and weight to work out how much fluid they need rather than going on just age.
    80-100ml per 500g of body weight - eg: A 3.5kg baby - 3500/500= 7, 100ml x 7 = 700, 6 feeds per day 700/6= 116ml per feed.
    HTH

Hi guys, just wanted to join up to a forum for support and also advice.

I had my DS two days ago at 34 weeks and I got discharged from hospital yesterday but he still has to stay. Guess I'm still just trying to comprehend that he is out. For the past two days at feeding time I have just laid him next to my breast to see if he is interested but mostly he just licks my nipple especially if I squeeze some drops of milk out for him. About 5 times he has actally attached and taken a couple of sucks but mostly he just likes having it there to smell I guess since the nurses say his sucks wouldn't be strong enough to get any milk from me. Is this all normal for a premmie?

I think my milk has come in today, so will more milk make it easier for him to get milk from me? I have been expressing since he was born so that he can get some of my milk with the supplement milk they have been giving him but I wasn't able to get much at first but now I think I can supply him with just my expressed milk without the supplement added as this morning I got a fair bit out just by hand expressing. I'll try the pump when I get to hospital today.

Do you think its good to offer the breast at every feed even if he doesn't suck and they end up feeding him through the nose tube? Some of the nurses advised me to do that originally but then last night there was this one who was saying things like dont bother doing that when he is still so small.

Thank you in advance everyone, things are still just sinking in for me. going to visit him today, i felt so awful when I left last night since he is all alone there now. I know he probably won't notice but I just want to be with him every second.

He is in the best place. It is true about the sucking. Generally kicks in by around 36 weeks but can still be a bit over the place. I was told putting them to the breast helps understand that that means food. Even if you just hold him close to ur body thats good.

Trust your instincts. If you believe something stand up for both of you. I found finding a nurse or two I was comfortable with helped

**my little girl was born at 30 weeks and were discharged 7 weeks and 1 day later. Everyone is different tho

I had a 34 weeker too. Ignore the midwife, the best thing you can do is offer the breast, it is part of the bonding process as well as helping them to learn about feeding.

It's hard being away from them so that little bit of contact is important for both of you.

Congratulations Kitty on your new little bundle. You will have him home in no time. How much does he weigh?

I second the PP's above. Do what feels right to you. Hold your little man at feeds...we did way before DD was able to suck. It was not even just about developing the suck reflex for us, but about wanting to hold her every minute we were with her. DD came out of me at 29w 6 days and was fully breast feeding at the equivalent of 35 weeks and 3 days. So she was home after 6 weeks 4 days.

It is horrible leaving the hospital. I carried a photo album with me everywhere, and had a teddy bear i slept with at home and cuddled a lot as a "baby substitute". Helped me a bit. It is normal to cry a lot and be overcome with emotion. You are going through a hard time but your boy will grow and before you know he will be all yours. Come in here and vent, cry, ask questions or just share with us with is going on. I was so thankful when I found this section as it has really helped to share the journey with others.

lots of cuddles to you.
    xx

Congratulations on the birth of your son!

I know how difficult it is leaving your little one in care of others but please take comfort in the fact that he is in the best place possible at the moment.

Offer him your breast when it feels right for you to do so. I found that some nurses were just lazy and liked to stick to their feeding time schedule especially if the unit was full.

I starting Bfing DS at 35 weeks. As he was still on oxygen it was a slow process of trial & error. I had to be careful not to exhaust him too much as it sometimes resulted in a relapse back onto CPAP. At 35w he was on 1 suck feed per day and by discharge at 40w he was on 4 per day, within a week of being home he was fully breast fed.

Ask if the unit has a lactation consultant and also have a chat to them or contact the ABA as they have some excellent reference material.

Every bub will be different, hoping that your SCN journey is a smooth one and your little one will be home in the arms of his family really soon.

Take care

Congratulations KittyK. The suck feeding is normal, the best thing you can do is have him at your breast for every feed. At 34 weeks it is possible the suck reflex is there, it just might be a bit weak. My DS2 was 34+3 and I put him on the breast before every tube feed and the tube was only used for a top-up, he was an exceptional prem and was fully suck-fed by day 4, fully breastfed by 1 week and discharged on an early release program on day 9. They discharged him completely on day 11. Apart from jaundice and reflux the only other issues he had were in the first 24 hours (ventilated and cpap). However he has a few ongoing issues now.

DS1, was 30 weeks and we had a lot more troubles, especially with feeding.

All the best x

Thank you guys for all your advice and support. Sorry to not be on sooner, my days are filled with getting to the hospital at 8am then we get home around 9.30pm so its been long long days and I just want to crash whenever I am home. I have family cleaning my house so it looks more beautiufl every time I get home. So thankful.

shazzi: he was 2.66kg when he was born on Tues. On Thurs he went down a little to 2.53kg and today he was 2.51. The dr said not to worry, they don't expect the babies to start putting on weight until they are 7-10 days old. They said he was a very good size for a 34 weeker. Nurses were saying if he had gone full term he would have been huge! You know one nurse gave me a lecture for about an hour because I was holding him for no reason...I was like, lady I gave birth to him a day and a half ago, excuse me if I want to hold my baby a little more than just at feeding time. Seriously PO'd with that nurse.

He is doing really well, I can't believe its only been a couple of days. He has slight jaundice but the level isn't high enough that he needs any treatment yet. He gets his blood taken daily though just to check his levels.

His only issue when he was born was that he was breathing quite fast so they have him an a sleep apnia machine when he sleeps but his hasn't gone off at all. I'm just thankful I was given so many steroid shots to mature his lungs, I had 2 at 28 weeks and then another at 33 weeks.

And the great news is at some feeds yesterday and more today he has actually been breastfeeding So proud of him. In the afternoon yesterday he did a 25 min feed, then at night was a little more tired and did a 10 min BF needing a little top up thorugh his tube. This morning still tired, same 10min BF with top up. Then just before lunch huge 25min BF. After lunch a little lazier, again the 10min BF with top up, But for the last two feeds we were there for tonight 25 min BF each feed. He is impressing everyone And he is having more alert periods where he just looks around and makes noises. Ahhh patience, it is a virtue.

I have to go to bed now, early wake up tomorow so we can get to the hospital in time for the morning feed Thank you guys again so glad there is a support forum. I think for a couple of days after he was born Dh and I didn't fully understand why he was in the SCN or what that meant exactly for him and us. Seriously no one came and explained anything, to me at least. So the day I was discharged alot of what they were saying went over my head. Luckily there are some great nurses in the SCN (aside from the lecturing one) and I finally got explanations and things are finally making more sense.

So glad to hear he is doing so well Kitty.
    When you bub goes to the SCN or NICU it can be a very frightening and lonely experience.
    Leaving bub at the hospital each day is just heartbreaking.
    With the way he is going hopefully it won't be long and he will be home with you.
    Remember to take care of you as well...you health is very important.

KittyK, he's an excellent size for a 34 weeker! He's bigger than my 36 weeker (2.48kg) that everyone was telling me was going to be enormous!

I hated SCN... I hated the feeling that I had to ask permission to do anything with my baby. I also had the frowny nurses at times. I remember being frowned at for touching the blankets he was under the night he was born, and this was just after being told I couldn't hold him. I know they say that being held tires them out, but it's not like we're dealing with super-early prems! Anyway, I really just wanted you to know that we've all been there and we understand.

But it sounds like he's doing amazingly well! He could be home before you think!

BW

I was told to that it was bad to cuddle to. In the end I held my baby between 2 feeds. Kangaroo cuddles are important

kittyk - congratulations on the birth of your little baby. i had a 34 weeker and it can definately be a stressful time. i never got in trouble for holding him for no reason but i do remember that i had a horrible nurse in there have a go at me coz DH and i lived an hour away from the hospital and we could only afford to come in for one feed a day at the time. we were waiting for him to be transferred to the hospital closer to home but werent sure when that was going to happen. anyway the nurse was so rude saying we should be there at 7 in the morning and not be leaving until 9 that night and we should be doing all this other stuff. i was in tears thinking that i was a bad mother. i had only had a c section a week earlier and i was still tired and sore from that plus we still had a lot of stuff to organise at home for when he came home. when he was transferred it was fantastic as we only lived 5 mins from the hospital and could just be there for almost all of his feeds.
    your little one sounds like he is just coming along so well. dont forget to take care of yourself too.

Kitti, you are doing so well x Cuddles are so important for you and for him x I'm pleased to hear he is doing well, woohoo on the breatfeeding!

Thanks guys, yesterday he did all breastfeeds (except for the times I wasn't there which means 3x tube feeds at night/mirning) so he is looking very good. Weighing him today, he is 150g from his birthweight so even if he has only put on a little weight I will be thrilled!

teresa: that is awful about that nurse. There are 8 premmies at the SCN where I am and one of the mother's just can't make it in and stay the whole day and I don't think anyone would look down on her for that, she makes it in when she can and she doesn't love her baby any less than we love ours. Gosh what a cow, I hope your DH gave her a good talking to. We are actually in the same boat as you. We chose Redlands Hospital as we thought the birth would be simple, have baby and stay a couple of days then go home. Redlands is about 40mins drive away but you get your own room with a shared bathroom and it looked quite nice and relaxed and my SIL had all her 3 kids there so had good reports. But then bubs came early and so we drive 40mins every day. We have asked to get him transferred to Logan Hospital which is 10 mins away from us if that but so far can't get him a bed which is understandable. Hopefully he improves enough that we won't need a transfer though as he is doing so well. DH goes back to work next week so if e is still there is going to get a little tricky for me to get to Redlands since I can't drive due to c-sect.

Thanks guys and cross fingers he gains some weight today!!!

Page 2 of 22 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast