Thread: Absolute essentials for baby!

Mickstar Guest

Question Absolute essentials for baby!

First pregnancy so I'm wondering what are the absolute essentials babies need.

I already have: cot, change table, bath (as my place doesn't have a bath tub), car seat and stroller.
    I went out shopping last night with my mother and sister and they both bought bubs lots of clothes, blankets. Even got a couple of sheets for the cot, as well as, a mattress protector.

Obviously need bottles to feed bubs but I plan on getting them at a later time :P
    I plan on breastfeeding, or at least giving it a shot but will still pick up some formula when it gets closer, just in case!
    My sister plans on buying me a steriliser, apparently they're a lot quicker and handy.

Is there anything else that is essential? Or maybe even anything that could be essential..

Default Re: Absolute essentials for baby!

Congrats on your first pregnancy. I found that a bassinette was important for bubs to sleep in our room. Also I had a rocking chair which I've used for all 3 kids. A good nappy bag is helpful. I bought an E Glendive one because it had been my handbag for 5 and a half years. I'd skip buying formula unless you actually need it. If breastfeeding is successful the you'll have wasted money on bottles and formula. If not you can pick up formula quickly at the shops without any drama.

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

Agree I loved the bassinet so I could move DD around the house when she first came home.

I'd get some Swaddles- either old fashioned kind or modern zip/velcro etc ones. Also-

Nappies - disposable or modern cloth nappies.

Wipes. I use cloth wipes. Either just with water or coconut oil.

Old fashioned cloth nappies. Like the little white towels. They are excellent all-rounders. I keep some beside my bed, in car, in pram, in nappy bag. Good to clean up vomit, exploda-poos, spilt anything, place over change tables in public toilets, use as a bib, etc.

Wouldn't bother with formula or bottles if you are serious about giving BF a go.

Mickstar Guest

Thanks!

My partner and I have decided to not get a bassinet, we seem to think it's a waste, and we prefer bubs in the cot anyway.

And I realise nappies and wipes are essential but wasn't really thinking of them at the moment, more for later down the track. I should have been more specific about that though, sorry!

Again, thanks for the ideas and such!

We used a bassinet for the second but not the first. It was free and allowed us to put off the move to the big bed for a while, but didn't last long as I have huge babies and DD2 outgrew it very fast.

I was a pretty minimalist mum, this was my list of stuff:
    Cot and cot sheets (first baby slept with us for first 13 weeks)
    64 MCNs, 75 cloth wipes, snappies, covers, liners etc
    5 singlets and 4 wondersuits
    Car seat
    BABY CARRIER - I loved my Close Caboo for the early days, then swapped to an Ergo
    8 muslin wraps
    Nappy bag with nappy wallet
    Breast pads
    Bouncy chair/rocker
    Pram (not an essential but I really wanted one

I didn't have a steriliser as I never sterilised anything. A few dummies, but we just did them on the stovetop. Didn't need it taking up bench space!

I think that's about it.

Oh yes when your milk comes in and for a good few weeks or months after you may leak lots so breast pads are great.

When is baby due?

Mickstar Guest

I was just going to do it over the stovetop too but my sister insisted that I needed a steriliser to make things easier lol.

Mickstar Guest

Baby is due late May early June.
    I was told to start off with 29th of May, then just this week, I've been told 4th of June...

My list.

Comfy bfing chair
    Bfing bras and pads (have 4 bras and 24 washable pads from DS)
    Baby clothes. Only about 10 newborn items as DS was big, and people buy you clothes as soon as you say you have a baby. I like to buy later as you can pick what suits skin tone and personality etc.
    Cheap black pants and maternity pads for you
    Baby sleeping bags - easier, warmer and safer than sheets
    Baby carrier and a coat that goes around the carrier (I live in a cold area!)
    Somewhere for baby to sleep
    Nappies, nappy bucket, change mat (again, I have dozens of reusable nappies thanks to DS)
    Some activity for you, babies are not very entertaining unless you go out a lot for admires.
    List of playgroups, baby song time, library reading sessions, coffee mornings... else you go stir crazy. Or maybe I'm just not that maternal.

I also have a great activity arch mat and a cheap baby monitor, but that's not a need for a newborn. Prams etc are used a lot but I prefer a carrier. You will be inundated with soft toys too, so no need to buy those! Dishwasher can sterilise most stuff for you. A larger handbag with a travel change mat will work as a nappy bag.

Mickstar Guest

Thank you, Ca Plane Pour Moi!

I'd add a thermometer to the list
    I also find having a mat or blanket you can put the baby on on the floor really handy
    Also really good to have a well stocked pantry and freezer. It was fantastic to just be able to grab a good meal out of the freezer whenever I needed one.
    And this time I froze maternity pads with a bit of aloe vera, witch hazel and lavender and they were amazing in the first few days post-partum. I highly recommend it.

Mickstar Guest

Thank you, nyigi!