Thread: Amby Baby Hammock Questions

Default Amby Baby Hammock Questions

I am seriously considering getting an amby baby hammock for DS but DH is against it at the moment so I need to try and convince him first but second I have a few questions and would like some feedback from users if they think it may help DS. As a side note I have PND and when I'm sleep deprived it affects my coping mechanisms so I'm continually searching for something that may help us both.

DS is a reflux and colicky baby. He is on Losec for his reflux which helps but the poor baby has a lot of stomach complaints. He pulls his legs up to his stomach and cries a lot. He is getting better at getting his wind up but we also have problems with his stools being too hard. He loves being bounced and rocked in our arms to soothe his discomfort. So question 1. If you had a reflux and colicky baby did you find the hammock helped?

DS surfaces between sleep cycles quite regularly and I have some success settling him with rocking the bassinet. He also squirms and wriggles a lot in his sleep even wrapped. Whilst sometimes it may only take a couple minutes of rocking having to get up multiple times in between night feeds is draining Question 2- does the amby help them transition through sleep cycles? Also if he is squirming does that mean he will be rocking himself with the movement of the hammock possibly meaning he won't wake up?

Other questions- can you still wrap them in the hammock? DS likes to switch between tummy sleeping and back sleeping depending on his mood is the amby back sleeping only? What age were you able to use it to?

DH is sceptical it will make a difference so his main problem is what if we get it and DS is still the same then we have another item to store that we would have wasted $$ on. I have looked at hiring one but can't find any so if anyone happens to know hire places in Perth that stock them please let me know.

Any other feedback would be most appreciated

Default Re: Amby Baby Hammock Questions

Hi em!

Our DS wasn't colicky so I cant help with that but I can say that I really think our Amby helped him transition between cycles. He would wake and as his movements increased, the bouncing and rocking of the Amby increased. I also LOVED the fact that it wasn't just a jiggle you could do with the Amby but also a rock and a swing. DS loved swinging!

We wrapped DS in his but did predominately sleep him on his back. Occasionally slightly tilted to the side and wedged in with the rolls that came with our 'kit' I have never slept him on his tummy and don't think you could in an Amby due to the way the mattress snuggles them in. However, I think you can tighten it to sleep them more upright. We used ours till DS was about 6 1/2 months and around 9kgs. Only changed because he wanted to roll around and now rolls all over the place in his sleep.

Honestly, we loved ours after initial teething problems (but they were my body healing not the actual hammock) I was glad we chose that over a bassinet. We borrowed a bassinet for DD and she was getting into dangerous positions with it by 5 months so I felt this was much better for us. Plus now we can use the jump jump and DS is thrilled

I don't know of anyone who hires them, sorry.

Brisbane - where it is never like it should be.

One of the members is a distributor. Hopefully she can answer you. I have bought one for my DD when she arrives in a few weeks. It does say they are for back sleeping only on the website.

We loved our Amby for DD. Go for it... You'll be so happy you bought one.
    Checkout their Facebook page with the photos and comments from customers.

There are some Amby hammocks for sale on Gumtree. you could then buy a new mattress if you were concerned.

I have had two colicky/reflucky or silent refluxy babies. The hammock definitely helped. It wasn't a cure, but it helped baby, and was much easier to bounce baby in the hammock, while i was laying on my bed, than to bounce her in my arms 24 hours a day.

My two learnt to bounce themselves, which yep can help to get them through to the next sleep cycle. If the hammock is next to your bed, you can also do it with one hand or foot and don't even have to get vertical.

You can wrap baby in the hammock. I wouldn't be comfortable with a baby tummy sleeping in them. The mattress sort of curves with their back. I moved my daughter when she was 6 months, because she was rolling when she was not in the hammock, but i probably could have kept her in it longer because she wasn't rolling in the hammock. I moved my son out when he was 9 months because he was sitting up and 'surfing' the hammock, which was no longer safe

Put a call out to all your contacts in case someone has one you can borrow to check out. They can also be resold, so you will get some of your money back if you buy. They come apart to store too, probably about the size of a folded portacot.

Well since my thread was bumped with spam I will report back that I ended up buying the Amby and it was the best thing I did DS stayed in it till 7 months when he outgrew it and went into his cot. It made such a difference to his sleeping and I'll def be using it from the start when bub number 2 arrives.

I was wondering about the 7 months, until I saw that the first one was January last year, not this year!!

So glad you loved the Amby - I hear nothing but good things about them

Haha you got to love the bumping of old threads just to confuse as all I'm very glad it was over a year ago and I am now reaquainted with that wonderful thing called sleep