Thread: Bassinets/hammock and capsules - give me your opinions please :-)

Default Bassinets/hammock and capsules - give me your opinions please :-)

Hi Everyone,

I'm 22 weeks pregnant with baby number 2, I have a cot and changetable and some odds and ends of muslins etc but thats it. DD1 is now 4 so next year when baby arrives we will have a pretty active life (compared to when she was born), I worked out that between 8:45 and 11am on Monday's mornings alone the baby will be in and out of the car a minimum of 6 times so I'm thinking that a capsule would be an investment. I had always thought that Safe'n'sound Unity was best given it lasts longer and Myself, DH and DD1 are all tall we would get the most use but the CREP rating was 1 star

I'm also considering a bassinet, DD1 went straight to a cot as she was SOO noisy and thats what seemed to be recommended to me at the time. She was a terrible sleeper - for quite a period waking 8 times a night was the norm, and at 4 has only just started sleeping through most nights. I was thinking if I could have the baby close to me and resettle as soon as they start to stir perhaps that would be better? We are also living in a different house meaning babies room is at the opposite end of the house, not next door as it was with DD1. So what do you think? Also interested in if you used a bassinet or hammock how was transferring to a cot when they were older?

Aaah it's been too long, I feel like a first time Mum again Thanks in advance.

I used a hammock and found the transition to the cot easy. The hammock was great for settling and resettling.

We used a bassinet and gee I worried about the transition to a cot, but I don't think DS batted an eyelid!

As a cost effective option, a friend used her pram with the bassinet attachment and says it was great as she could walk/push her DS at sleep times if he was unsettled. He also slept really well in it if they were out and about, which my DS never did!

We have bought a capsule this time around for the same reason you said.

We've hired a capsule for 6 months, though bub will grow out of it faster than that.

we have a bassinet which we use for day sleeps, but we quickly bought a hammock, as he takes less time to settle in the hammock. We have the hammock in our room and bub alternates between the hammock and our bed.
    Last edited by LionsandBears; November 4th, 2013 at 09:40 AM.

We bought the unity capsule which is to 12kg. DS is nearly 17mths and still in it, will need it for Bub soon.

We sold hammock as never used it as DD liked to sleep on her tummy then with DS he slept wherever except at night we co slept.

This Bub I brought a new wooden bassinet on wheels (one with mesh sides, if that explains it) as will be moving and need ease of moving Bub around and out of reach of my other two toddlers! So not sure how it is yet as still waiting on Bub to arrive.

I loved having DS2 in our room in a bassinet. Really missed him when he moved to the cot! No probs moving - I sometimes used the cot for day sleeps, so I guess he was used to it.

I had the bassinet on wheels with mesh sides too. It was great as easy to clean when he vomited through the whole thing a couple of times!

We used the Maxi Cosi capsule for DD2 as it clipped easily into our pram (City Select). We didn't have it for DD1 and it was one of my biggest regrets. It was brilliant with DD2!

We had a small bassinet with wheels (borrowed) for DD1 which was very handy but she outgrew it so quickly despite being small. We bought a Boori bassinet (with the mesh sides) for DD2 and it was great. We also had a Hushamock hammock which DD1 used for day sleep for about 6 weeks or so when she was little but DD2 only used it a few times, she was perfectly happy in the bassinet so we didn't have any need for it.

Hope that helps.

We hired a capsule for DD1. She never stayed asleep in it though, so it was a bit of a waste. With DD2, we just used the car seat, but we don't really use our car much.

We had a hushamok for DD1. Used it, but found no real difference between it and the cot. My favourite thing was that I could rock her and read a book at the same time. For DD2 we set it up, but she wouldn't be put in it. At all. Ever. Hated it. So it was sold before she was even 2 months old She slept quite well in the bassinet, but best of all was on our bed, or in a carrier. So that's what we did.

We hired a capsule for DD1. She never stayed asleep in it though, so it was a bit of a waste. With DD2, we just used the car seat, but we don't really use our car much.

We had a hushamok for DD1. Used it, but found no real difference between it and the cot. My favourite thing was that I could rock her and read a book at the same time. For DD2 we set it up, but she wouldn't be put in it. At all. Ever. Hated it. So it was sold before she was even 2 months old She slept quite well in the bassinet, but best of all was on our bed, or in a carrier. So that's what we did.

Love our Amby baby hammock. Dd is 1 and we still use it. I love how she can bounce herself to resettle herself or I can rock it while still lying in bed. We've travelled with it twice too so DD had a familiar place to sleep.
    We passed on the capsule and bought a safe and sound aha meridian. Super easy to use and good from birth to about 4. The height markets have been changed in the new model so babies can be reward facing for longer which is now considered much safer.

I have used an amby hammock with 2 kids, and loved it. They both were unsettled as newbys (colic/reflux/food intolerances) and the hammock was great for being able to bounce them without having them constantly in arms.

I haven't used a capsule, they look too heavy for me (no experience remember!), but make use of carriers. will have a hugabub so i can wear it, and pop baby in when we get to destination, and out again when back in the car.

I have used an amby hammock with 2 kids, and loved it. They both were unsettled as newbys (colic/reflux/food intolerances) and the hammock was great for being able to bounce them without having them constantly in arms.

I haven't used a capsule, they look too heavy for me (no experience remember!), but make use of carriers. will have a hugabub so i can wear it, and pop baby in when we get to destination, and out again when back in the car.

I used a cradle with DDs 1 and 2 and a hammock with DD3 and I love the hammock. DD3 is by far my best settle-er (not necessarily my best sleeper though!!) but I have no idea if that is because of the hammock or just because of her.

I had a capsule for DDs 1 and 2 and they both hated it. They both had reflux, and from what I was told the slight curve they are on in the capsule can put extra pressure on their tummies. Don't know if there's anything to that, but mine both had reflux and both screamed blue murder in the capsule. DD3 I didn't bother, but with school drop offs it would have been fantastic so if your bub likes it, I think its a great idea

Default Re: Bassinets/hammock and capsules - give me your opinions please :-)

We had a hushamok hammock and found them great!

Default Re: Bassinets/hammock and capsules - give me your opinions please :-)

I had a Amby hammock and loved it for DD2 as it was a very quick was to resettle which was important to me as I needed to get back to DD1 pretty quickly.

My friend had the Happy Hang Up and if I had my time again, I would get that as it has a higher weight range. She sold it as she had a tummy sleeper.