Thread: Help me kit out the nursery!

Default Help me kit out the nursery!

OK, so far the nursery is a completely empty room, with a built-in small cupboard used as a wardrobe/storage area. The room is about the size of a king-sized bed without the cupboard and the entrance area (which is right next to the cupboard). It has just been redecorated, so has light purple walls, dark grey carpet and curtains.

I'm thinking we'll need chest of drawers, cot and feeding chair with foot stool (and blanket). Stormy will be sleeping in our room/bed for the first few months/year anyway, so we were wondering whether to get a moses basket for the first year then into a toddler bed. We also need a car seat. We have a play mat and toys, but they'll be in the sitting room. We have baby clothes, sling, pushchair, nappies, toys, breast pads... what else do we need? Bassinet for the pushchair maybe? Although I can't see me using the pushchair so much as I prefer the sling. Maybe a really plush changemat?

Maybe we should just get a low single bed for the nursery, I already have some purple covers for these and that way DH could sleep in the nursery if Stormageddon's sleep patterns are as bad as Liebling's were. But then the feeding chair wouldn't fit in. But do I need one? I just like the idea of not being disturbed constantly so having a space to retreat when DH and/or Liebs are at home.

So, what do I need? Drawers and what sort of bed(s)? Am I missing anything that a baby really needs? Especially as we've kept so much from Liebling.

Default Re: Help me kit out the nursery!

Oh forget stuff... YOU'RE PREGNANT???? How did I miss this?

Oh I am such a rubbish stalker

Really? Really? Or is baby just imminent?

Sorry. Nursery planning. As you were....

ETA: OK. Back after having thoroughly stalked. Soooo.... you're in the TWW right? Sorry love, tell me to shut up if you must, but it think you'll find that a whole heap of us are stoopidly excited for you!

Whhhhhhaaaaaaaat?!

What about a baby hammock? Might help with the sleeping part.

My sister wishes she had've gotten a rocking chair, so she could sit down and rock bub properly.

LMAO - not even missed my period yet. But DH has decided that the best time for Stormy to come is this September, so I hope I am preggers! He also decided that even though Stormy will be sleeping in our room for at least 6m, we need to move Liebling into the second bedroom before we TTC, so in effect remove our guest room, and get the nursery ready. Carpet is arriving in one week's time. I should know by then if I'm pregnant or not. However, the little matter of me being pregnant or not isn't going to stop DH after almost seven years of waiting to TTC. Now we are, we need the house ready for Stormageddon. He wouldn't even TTC until we had started the nursery decorating!

The only things we actually use in the nursery at the moment are the change table (it's where the nappies and everything are stored too) and the wardrobe for clothes. There's also a bookshelf but all books are in the family room, a cot but DS is in our room, and a rocking chair. I can't see myself using the rocking chair until the same as I did with DD - once he's in his own room and I go down there for night time wake up feeds.

What will Stormy be sleeping in in your room? Can you just move that to the nursery when Stormy does? If not and you want something there now, I guess it'll depend on how old he/she will be when they move into the nursery - old enough for a bed or still needing a cot? We only took the side off DD's bed and put a rail on when she was around 18 months I think.

Oh one invaluable thing we have in there is a toy hammock. Every single man and his dog thinks a kid needs a new huge stuffed toy every week. They get put in the toy hammock so they're off the floor and out of the way.

We're thinking moses basket in our room, but DH wants something in the nursery too. And I can't see Stormy fitting in the basket beyond a year!

Like the rocking chair idea... may get one for the sitting room too. Will only fit in the nursery if we get a cot/toddler bed. I suppose DH could take his camping bed in the nursery to sleep, it's a very good one.

I prefered to change Liebling on the floor, as he was a wriggler. Stormy can be changed on the floor too. The nappies will go in the chest of drawers for ease of use. Or be in the clean washing basket waiting to go away.

Toy hammock - good idea. I just hope we don't get any more stuffed toys, we have too many. May have to donate a lot of them very soon. Even Liebling says there are too many!

Yeah, we're sorting ours for donation now, it's even worse after Christmas!

With the cot/toddler bed, Stormy will fit in it a long time at least. They're not great for adults but I did climb in with DD more than a few times when nothing else worked lol. I don't reckon your DH would be comfy in it so a camp bed is probably a good idea

We've found a hanging clothes wardrobe insert thingy to be way more useful than a chest of drawers for clothes. The open shelves are really easy to get things in and out of rather than fiddling with drawers while you're holding a squirmy or upset Bub. K's is hanging in our wardrobe now, as he's sleeping in our room (so bassinette and change table are in our room too) - it's easy to just undo the Velcro and move to his wardrobe when he has his own room.

I'm loving my feeding chair too - but it's in the playroom rather than Bub's room.

Night light. Monitor. A wall hook to hang the nappy bag. I know you said you'll change Bub on the floor, but you may need a back up plan if, for eg, you have a CS and can't get down there. I also love the change table for storage.

omg TFB.... I nearly peed with excitement when I saw this thread! c'mon Stormy!!

Have a nightlight/monitor. Think it's at my mum's: our house was small when Liebs was younger so it was really not needed, whereas Mum's house is big enough that you don't hear someone calling from the other end. She said she was lending it to my sister, but I can get it back. We also have hooks by the front door that the nappy bag can go on: I'm lazy so don't use the nappy bag in the house, that way I don't have to re-pack it when I go out.

Also with Liebs the chest of drawers was the change table, which was useful in some respects. I'll consider it, but am having a freebirth so a section is very, very unlikely. Unless DH comes home/wakes up and finds me in labour! As DH wants the drawers in the wardrobe, I may suggest the hanging storage or some boxes on their sides instead initially. That would be easier when they need to come out, too. Then I can do the drawers/change table in one again.

Or a change table which turns into a lego table when Stormy doesn't need it any more. I like this plan. I will have to get more lego now to justify it.

Default Help me kit out the nursery!

We bought a layzboy recliner before DD2 was born - best investment ever! It's a good rocking & feeding chair but it has the added advantage of the full recline - meaning you can sleep comfortably in it too. Ours is a nice leather one that has since moved into the living room, so its usefulness has lasted well beyond the nursery days. Worth thinking about.

Ok, so here's the list so far:

Buy
    Cotbed, chest of drawers (with changetable top?)/hanging shelves for wardrobe, comfortable feeding chair that rocks, reclines and doesn't squeak, bedsheets, rocking moses basket, toy hammock, car seat and bassinet for pushchair. More lego as well.

Have
    Nappies, clothes, toys, wardrobe, toys, nightlight, monitor, toys, books, bookcase, campbed and bedsheets, sling and toys. Maty clothes and feeding bras.

Want but don't need
    More cloth nappies, maybe more clothes (for me and Stormy), more duplo.

Anything else? Other than a baby to go with this, naturelment!