Thread: Items that ILs can buy

Default Items that ILs can buy

ILs think we should be buying things. They've asked a few times and last night told DH they'll be pooling some money with his aunty and uncle and buying us cot, pram etc.
    I'm not a fan of this at all.
    DH and I want to buy the big, essential stuff together. We have the money to do so, we've been saving up for a few years.
    We want to wait until about 30 weeks to start buying things and start setting up around 36 weeks. I'm only 19 weeks now.

What are some things we can get ILs to buy now that will keep them happy and make them feel important? I was thinking maybe some of the things we decided aren't really essential (like a bassinet), or things we'll leave for later (like a highchair).

PS - please don't think we're ungrateful. We get that it's the first grandchild and they're super excited. We're control freaks and super anxious about this pregnancy, which is why we want to do it ourselves, later on.
    Last edited by Spoons; May 24th, 2015 at 12:45 PM. Reason: PS

Default Re: Items that ILs can buy

Perhaps you could ask them if they could get you a voucher for a baby shop so you can choose what you want. That way they can see the items when purchased and you may decide to upgrade on your original idea if you have a little extra money which in turn would make them feel important and indeed have contributed.

how about a rocker/bouncer thingy? some of those can be quite substantial. or a really nice quality woollen/patchwork blanket/quilt for bassinet/cot. a nice handmade one would be pricey, suitable for a combined gift.
    or a fancy baby playmat?
    or a collection of traditional story books/nursery rhymes. you can get some lovely sets that would be keepsake items.

my parents bought us a cot mobile. something bub would "use" and it would kept for future children as well.

What about a portacot? Or a good quality baby carrier like s Manduca or ergo? Big things that you might not buy yourselves, but would be great to have. Things they'll see you use cause you'll use them when visiting

The grandparents got cot sheets for both my kids. We went shopping together and chose a really nice sheet set because our cots convert to beds so we wanted nice and good quality. They also got the wall decal we chose at the same time.

In laws got a baby sling and bjorn for the two kids. These have been essential in my opinion because it allows me to get things done while also holding the baby. They also got the comforter toy (three of the same toy for each child so we can clean them)

Thank you for the excellent suggestions!
    DH and I will have to start working on a list, not forgetting my Mum will want to buy stuff too lol.

I remember this feeling so well! My MIL was exactly the same, she said that she had done the research etc on the best pram to get, and hit me with this 'well, we would like to buy the pram, bassinet, bouncer, playmat' a whole list of things! I was totally gobsmacked, and in the end we politely refused the offer, stating that we would look at her choices and get back to her! Her idea of the perfect pram was totally impractical for me, and was so complicated and heavy! Not ideal for someone who was probably going to end up having a c section!

The only advice I have is to try to include them a little, my MIL went on a massive rant about how we refused their offer and how they felt cut out of the loop! We ended up spending an afternoon shopping with them at a few shops for mobiles, cot sheets, blankets, bunny rugs, pram blankets. They loved it and then felt included more! I made sure that I picked what I liked and they paid! Its a win, win!!