Thread: Replacing car seats after an accident

Default Replacing car seats after an accident

I had a minor accident tonight. No-one was hurt, a big thud and some rear end damage to my car from someone getting a bit too close to me!

So I am not sure if I need to claim car seats on the insurance claim and replace them. Kids weren't in them if that makes a difference. I was stopped, car behind clipped me when changing lanes.

I was rear ended 2 years ago and there was a bit more damage that time (that I could see), than tonight and I got new seats back then, but not sure if I should be replacing them.

I was on a page on fb, that I am sure would've been helpful, but I got annoyed with having to pick through fights to find useful info, so thought I would ask here.

Should I just get them replace regardless? Is there a certain amount of damage that decides this?

Default Re: Replacing car seats after an accident

Maybe contact the manufacturer

There is no way to tell for sure if there has been any damage to the seats, so I agree with calling the manufacturer, they will be able to offer more advice for your specific seats.

Pretty sure one company replaces them for free if in an accident? Can't remember which it is.

ETA: I hope you are okay!! x

They normally say replace if the airbags went off, but I was in an accident a few years ago where I hit a pole after almost t boning a car that drove in front of me and got two seats replaced under my insurance. It's britax that replaces seats that have been in accident.

I was in a car accident 2 days ago, car insurance is covering the cost of replacing car seats up to $500, there doesn't need to be any obvious damage but the insurance company said if the kids were in them (i.e. there was a load in them) they should be replaced

I was rear ended a few years ago, car was totalled, and the insurance company replaced the seats even though no one was in the car.
    Ring your insurance company and ask them what's the go.

I think the car has to be assessed to establish how much impact damage there was to determine if there would have been any effect on the seats. I would tell insurance there were car seats in the car and what their policy is. Hopefully they just change them no matter what.

And I think I know the FB page your talking about and agree. - it's a little ridiculous at times!

Thanks all. Insurance said they will cover them, so all is good.