Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shopping cart covers - did you use/need them?

Default Shopping cart covers - did you use/need them?

I'm contemplating whether or not I should get a shopping cart cover for bubs. Hubby and I are germaphobes, so to me it makes sense to protect bubs, so she doesn't put her mouth near the dirty handle bar. However I cannot see myself draging this huge piece of fabric around everytime I want to go to the shops. So I want to find out from you ladies, did you ever buy one and if so, how often did you actually use it? Or do you think they are a waste of money? Would it be easier to just use a sling? Would love to hear everyone's opinion. Cheers!

Default Re: Shopping cart covers - did you use/need them?

I've never bought one and am glad because it would have been a waste of money. When they're small you can just pop a muslin wrap or terry cloth or some other cheap fabric over those red cradle type carriers in trolleys. When they're a bit older and you decide to put them in the actual handlebar section, you can just use an anti bacterial wipe or baby wipe to wipe down the areas you think will be touched/licked by them.
    The other option, like you mentioned, is to just carry them in a sling. I have an ergo but I got the Suppori sling recently and it's been great for those short shopping trips where I don't need a trolley, very quick and easy to get him into and out of it.

Thanks! Sounds like a good idea.

I didn't with DD1 simply because I didn't realise they existed! Purchased one for DS which also lasted DD2. Loved it. I simply kept it in the boot of my car at all times, so I wasn't really lugging it around.

I found it was great for a bit of extra padding for the babes and also sometimes those seats and bars can be cold/hot dependent on weather. Also meant that when they bent over to suck on the bars (as they all try to do at some stage no matter how much you think your baby won't!) they were just putting their mouth on the fabric instead. Much better option

Loved mine - I bought second hand of ebay..

Also kept in boot of car. I also found it handy cuz it catches a lot of the food DS1 dropped while shopping. Meant I could just pick it up and give it back to him!

I really want to get a double for my two boys now, but not a lot of second hands ones around and I don't know if I can justify the $70 odd the new doubles are.

I was given one for DD, I loved it. Gave her a bit of padding, stopped the seat being hot/cold, stopped her sucking on the sides/handle (she did that a lot!), and caught anything she had between the seat and the handle.

When DS was in the lay back seat thing I just put a blanket in there, but now he's in the seat next to DD I can't use it. I had no idea you could get double ones, I'd love one!

We were given one as a gift. I honestly never worked out all the Velcro tabs it had on it!! I used it a few times with DD but never did with DS. I liked the concept of padding and also that it filled the seat out more when they were quite small but really only used it half a dozen times

I was given one and I use it every shopping trip. Like others I just leave it in my car. When he was younger I just laid a wrap over the red seat but now he is in the main seat I wouldn't be without my cover. DS also likes to chew everything so at least I know he is only chewing on fabric which I can easily wash

Eta on the sling I have an ergo and a ring sling which I have tried whilst shopping but I find it hurts my back too much having to lean over into the trolley when he is on me particularly when it comes time to put the groceries through the checkout. And he now much prefers being able to sit up and look around at everything.

I got a cheap one at toys r us for about $20 and used it weekly when he first started sitting up in the trolley and through the "sucking on everything" faze. I kept it in the boot and it folded into itself and became a bag! so easy to grab and take into the shops. I don't use it anymore really but I did find a cheap one worthwhile.

Nope, never got one. Never had a kid get sick from licking a shopping trolley handle either I always had a cloth terry flat nappy I would put in with them, but never had a drama.

Nope, never bought one and usually groan silently to myself whenever i see one. What I *did* have was a similar thing ($6 from Big W back in the day) that velcro'd around the baby & the trolley seat-back, so that bub can't launch themselves out of the trolley while you're choosing peas. No extra meters of fabric to cover handles or anything. It was a pretty handy thing to have because we also used it to sit her up on cafe chairs, or as a restraint in public highchairs with dodgy straps. I don't think the germophobe covers would work as a multi-purpose restraint like that. If I was ever concerned about the cleanliness of a trolley i'd just give the handle a wipe-over with a baby wipe.

Nope, not for us. Our kids are out and about with mud and trees and animals and other children, all of which are probably dirtier than the trolleys!

I see the odd one around, but they don't appeal, personally.

I suspect if it was an issue for me, I'd get a pram with a big under-carriage, and just do it that way ...

You could wait and see how you feel about carrying baby etc. My LO is almost 6 months and not strong enough to sit in the wire seat yet. She can go in the layback ones and any wrap works for them.

I was given one when DD2 arrived...used it zero times in the past 7 years lol

I figure kids get germs from most things they touch, can't protect them 24/7!

Another that thinks they are a waste of time. I have stuck all my kids in the seat with no covering and they all survived. I did line the layback seats with a blanket when they were very small, just for the comfort of not leaning against the cold plastic.

I didn't even know they existed til a week ago.

Not something I would use, I think kids need to be exposed to normal environment, germs and all!

Nope, not really into that kind of thing. I used a sling for mine until they could walk, by which stage they could just walk. They both think it's the biggest treat ever to sit in a trolley now. Which is probably why they lick it so much

I used one with DS1 - mainly for the comfort factor rather than the germs. I didn't use it once with Ds2, though I did use the baby seat cover a few times. With DD1 I use the infant seat liner from my pram(snuzzler?) in the trolley baby seat - it's so soft and comfy she often falls asleep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast