Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pagan Liturature

Default Pagan Literature

Is anyone able to recommend me a good read about paganism? I think this is something i could really relate to... and I quite like the idea of a male and female god, I'd really like to know more ^^;

Eta. Literature even! My poor fried mummy brain!

Last edited by helle; March 17th, 2012 at 10:06 PM.

Default Pagan Liturature

One of the best books on paganism is Drawing Down the Moon by Margot Adler. Scott Cunningham has a good intro into Wicca. I just searched & found on a US book seller site a book called Paganism: An Introduction to Earth centred religions, which seems to have good reviews.

I've been reading about goddesses and the sacred feminine...I can recommend some books but it's not exactly paganism, but more about different cultures and their take on the sacred feminine.

Default Pagan Liturature

Thanks lionsandbears. I was actually looking at "paganism an introduction to earth centred religions" have downloaded the first chapter on my kindle before I buy a softback
    Will look at that other one too

Default Pagan Liturature

I've started reading the drawing down of the moon. So far I'm thoroughly enjoying it. It really resonates with my soul and I've sat back a few times and gone "yeah, that's just me!"

Honestly it depends on what your direction lies. Personally I am not a fan of goddess based books, but I don't follow a goddess path at all.

I'm helping to train my bestie at the moment (with the help of my other bestie), I've got her reading history books including books on mythology, within the areas of Celtic, Greek, Roman and Norse. This will give her the basis she needs to start working on how she personally connects with deity. I know she has a huge Celtic bent, but I want her to understand how other cultures work. She already has the Indian and Asian deity knowledge.

Once she has a good grounding and understanding of deity, then we will start on the basics including wheel of the year, working with the moon, protection and grounding. We are keeping her away from any spellwork until she feels she is ready.

A lot of the 'early' pagan literature was written in the 70s. Much of it can be perceived as militant feminist. Much of it was made up and is not historically accurate. From memory (it's been years since I read it), I found Drawing Down the Moon based on anthropological work and therefore, it felt real to me. I don't know if more recent research alters its relevance at all.

I agree with Sopdet with finding what resonates with you and going from there. For example, I'm not very Sun focused. I prefer to celebrate Moon cycles. I still note the Sun cycles but they don't resonate as much with me. This can change over the years. I'm slowly working my way back to my path though.

Default Pagan Liturature

I was hoping you would comment sopdet. Is there anything you can recommend?

Also something else to keep in mind, Wicca isn't an old religion, it evolved in the 1950s. So while you read things saying it is old, in fact it isn't. Yes it may be based on older paths, but as it stands, it isn't.

L&B - I'm like that with elements, I've never really worked with water other than calling it in a circle when working solitary, until I was in Bali and I was told it was my turn to embrace the water element which I did. Now I'm doing more research into water deity.

Default Pagan Liturature

Posted at the same time!

helle - I'll ask around. Is there any specific you're interested in?

Default Pagan Liturature

Well, I don't really know yet. I would like to know more about the moon and sun phases. I believe that our souls go around in cycles and never really "expire". Id like to know more about certain rituals like the equinox and things... I'm really starting at the bottom of the barrel here ^^;
    I've always been interested in it, I've just never poked any further because tbh its kinda confusing first up

Moon phases are easy, go to the newsagent and get a fishing almanac, it has the moon phases in it Actually one of the easiest ways to connect with the moon is to spend 5 mins a night looking up at the sky, even during the dark moon, to get a feeling of the energies.

As for the elements (air, fire, water, earth), just get out an experience them. For air, watch the wind blowing through trees; for fire, watch a candle flame; water, the ocean or a creek; earth, plant something and watch it grow. I've left spirit out, because when you first start out it is basically connecting with the divine/deity.

I think I've done a couple of posts on the wheel of the year in here, I know NaeNae asked about Christmas and I put a whole blurb in there.

Note that each book you will read may contradict another book you've read. There are also a lot of books specifically focussed on the northern hemisphere.

The website witchvox has got a lot of resources from a variety of different paths.

We've got our initiate researching mythology at the moment, because she wants to know more about the pantheons of ancient times.

For a really simple, workbook type book, you can grab a hold of Bucklands Complete Book of Witchcraft.

It isn't supposed to be complicated and confusing. All you are doing is connecting with the elements (air, fire, water, earth, spirit) which are basically your 5 points on a pentagram. An inverted pentagram isn't something evil, it is actually a 2nd level initiation symbol, where you work with the earth-bound elements (air, fire, water, earth) instead of focussing on spirit (which you usually do in 1st level initiation within a coven).

Some pathways believe in reincarnation, some don't.

Right now we're about to come up to Mabon. I'll probably do a thread on that shortly.
    Last edited by Sopdet; March 20th, 2012 at 08:50 AM.

Just wanted to say I got a free app on the moon phases on my phone. I love looking at it!

Loving your info sopdet. I think I am into goddess worship because of my Christian upbringing and worship of Mary throughout childhood

Default Pagan Liturature

Arcadia I have that app already
    Sopdet, observing the elements. I can do that. I'm not much help to myself really I guess. I dont really know where I wanna be.

Arcadia. Don't forget there is balance in everything so don't discount the Gods.

Helle. Start off small. What resonates with you will come in time.

I don't fully follow the path I was raised in, I've evolved and brought new things into it over the years. I'm constantly learning and new teachers come into my life when I need them.

Yes, you're right sopdet...I think I do forget the gods.

I'm definitely on a path of discovery.

Does the dualism of male/sun and woman/moon ever apply to you?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast