Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Every parent or parent to be - a MUST read book...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

Thumbs up Every parent or parent to be - a MUST read book...

... as a thank-you for helping out at Pinky's workshops, Pinky gave me a book I was DYING to read for such a long time - 'The Science of Parenting' by Margot Sunderland (now renamed to 'What Every Parent Needs to Know') - I am IN LOVE with this book! Seriously, I can't stress enough how great this book is for everyone to read. It's not a cheapie, $40-$45 but worth every bloomin' cent. Easy to read, hits home and even after the first chapter I swear you will change how you feel about your baby/child and their behaviour. It will also dig up some of your own cobwebs and I found it very emotional too, it hit home for me.

What Every Parent Needs to Know - link to the book in the BB store for $39.95.

So do yourself and your bubba or bubbas to be a HUGE favour and get onto it asap. You will be glad you did. Not only does it explain everything about sleep, behaviour probs, tantrums, crying etc... but it gives you real solutions, you can use right away... I am seriously going to read this book until I have finished it. Can't put it down.

I would recommend the PET (parent effectiveness training) book for older children though 4+ for behaviour strategies.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; June 23rd, 2010 at 09:25 AM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

is it avail at major bookstores .. or do i have to order it ... sounds like something right up my alley

Yes it is in major bookstores, also here:
    The Science Of Parenting - link to the book in the BB store

This book is not airy fairy by the way - it's based on 700 studies and will appeal to all. LOVE IT.

If anyone has read it, or does as a result of this, please post in here and let everyone know what you think. This has the ability to completely change how you parent and understand your children. It makes things alot easier and pleasant for all too - no guilt trips involved - just sudden clarity, even for me.
    Last edited by BellyBelly; January 29th, 2008 at 01:43 PM.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children

That sounds amazing Kelly, I am definitely interested... I wonder if Borders has it, cause I have a voucher...

I've just borrowed this book from a friend. I'm only part way through it but I love it.
    I think I've already started to change some of the little things I do and I've only had the book a couple of days.
    It gives such a good understanding of whats going on in out little one's brains and how the way we love and discipline our children can affect them later in life.
    Definately worth getting hold of and reading.

Hi,

I agree with Kelly - it is a fabulous book

Regards
    Barb
    Last edited by BellyBelly; August 19th, 2007 at 07:43 AM.

Well I bought it! Just have to find time to read it now...ended up getting it from Borders at 20% off! What timing!! Only paid $36..think you can get a paperback for $20+ dollars at toys r us though...

Just ordered a copy on-line - only ?17, bonus! Then again, that is about $40 or just over. There seems to be a few mini-books from this, so cheaper to just buy the big one to start with!

Great stuff, can't wait to hear what you think
    Kelly xx

This book is fantastic! I have relaxed so much now about my parenting (scientifically proven to be the best!) and DS is sleeping better now - not all night, but better. It has re-enforced all my parenting beliefs and given me a few good pointers for when DS is older too.

Great Ryn! I'm finding it very interesting as well!! But also feeling a little guilty for those times when I've had to leave Dylan with dh and he's screamed with him for like 45min!!! Although I understand I can't be with him 24-7 sometimes. Yeah on your ds sleeping better!
    I'm only a little way into the book...a lot more to go yet!

Even if DS screams as DH or I try to comfort him, we figure the important bit is that he's not left alone, he knows we're here and we care... yes, he's upset but he's with someone who cares about him. It's heartbreaking when you can't stop the tears, but not just leaving him to get on with it is important - or more important than the length of the upset. To my mind, anyway.

btw, your two lads look so cute together!

Glad you are enjoying the book Knew you would like it
    Kelly xx

I just did a search on my local library website and they have it at two locations. For all those that can't afford it, just borrow it for free!!!! Kelly, is it worth reading after you have the baby when you have some specific examples to compare to?
    Last edited by stillhoping; August 24th, 2007 at 06:59 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by stillhoping View Post
    I just did a search on my local library website and they have it at two locations. For all those that can't afford it, just borrow it for free!!!!
    Great idea, I just went down & finally joined the local library....they don't have the book there, but I was able to put a request in & they are getting it sent from another library & it's cost me nothing!!!! can't wait to get it, though am afraid I'll regret doing certain things, hope not.

It's never to late to learn Erin! I've most certainly done things I regret! LOL. More so with Louis than Dylan. With Louis I had everyone telling me I'd get him into bad habits and that I'd spoil him...if only I had more confidence then to tell everyone to go jump! LOL!

Thanks Ryn!! Yeah...dh was trying to comfort him but he just wanted his mummy...cheeky boy!

I have just picked this up, and even only being through the first couple of chapters I am totally impressed. Finally there is a book that is based on scientific research, rather than individuals opinions... It is so well written, so clear and easy to understand, and it also helps when you can relate things to yourself and your own upbringing.... I am going to be recommending this book to everyone!

Hehe - Still haven't finished it yet! Been lots of colds and flu's in the house! Maybe sometime in the next year or 5 I'll get it done! hehehe.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast