Thread: "When I'm Feeling" books

Default "When I'm Feeling" books

Each of the books in this series has been carefully designed to help children better understand their feelings, and in doing so, gain greater autonomy over their lives. Talking about feelings teaches children that it is normal to feel sad, or angry, or scared at times. With greater tolerance of painful feelings, children become free to enjoy their world, to feel secure in their abilities, and to be happy.

When I'm Feeling Lonely
    Lots of things can make you feel lonely. It's not a nice feeling, but just remember that everyone feels that way sometimes!

When I'm Feeling Happy
    So many things can make you happy. Playing with friends, a special treat - or just a big hug.

When I'm Feeling Sad

Everyone feels sad sometimes. It's a quiet, lonely feeling. But it can often help to talk to someone about it.

When I'm Feeling Scared

Anyone would be scared of some things, like dangerous animals! But lots of other things aren't really as scary as they seem.

When I'm Feeling Kind
    Helping people, listening to your friends, feeling good about yourself. Feeling kind is all of these things, and more.

When I'm Feeling Loved

Feeling loved is the most wonderful feeling. It makes you feel safe, warm protected and special.

When I'm Feeling Jealous
    Feeling jealous can sometimes make you do silly things. But always remember that everyone is special - and that means you too!

When I'm Feeling Angry
    When you're really angry you feel like you're going to explode. It's okay to be angry sometimes, as long as you don't hurt anyone.
    I had been looking for these books for a while & finally found four of them today that weren't ridiculously expensive, we got Jealous, Happy, Lonely & Sad. I think Zander quite enjoyed them when we read through them all tonight. We also spent some time talking through all the feelings. I really want to get the Angry one, but it would be nice to have all eight.

So does anyone else have them? What do you think?

I saw them in a scholastic book club flyer but was toolate to order them, I was wanting the angry one as well, but they look really good

Check out your local Coles RayRay. They were $20-odd at the book shop, but I got them for $9.80 at Coles today. I would have bought the lot if they were there, so I'm going to check our other Coles over the weekend in case they got different ones.
    Last edited by {sarah}; July 3rd, 2009 at 09:51 PM.

they sound great sarah, i might seek them out too!

There was a couple of those books for sale at work the other week, but I didn't get around to having a read of them properly. I'll have to check out Coles on the weekend, I think Nina will like those books.

I think they're a good idea & they're written by a child psychologist which is great because they're not just stories, more of a jumping off point for discussions.

The jealous one I found really good, it was one of the two main ones I wanted. The second page talks about the bunny feeling jealous because he thinks his mum & dad love the little brother more. I said this to Zander & he got teary Poor little guy was feeling it but didn't know how to express it, I knew he felt jealous, but had no idea how to broach the subject, so I think they're going to be really good for that.

We have the angry one. Both the boys really like it and sometimes Yasin tells me he needs to stomp now lol.
    The concept of not letting our anger hurt others really hasn't got through to Imran yet but I live in hope lol.
    We got it from bigW for about $15.
    I want to get some of the other ones.

I have seen these lots in scholastics school book club brochures and they are significantly cheaper there. Keep an eye out if your child brings home the brochures. They are good.

sounds good i will check out coles and big W

DD"s daycare have them..the kids seem to enjoy them.
    xx