Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: By day I'm cool, calm and collected... By night I'm the screaming banshee

Unhappy By day I'm cool, calm and collected... By night I'm the screaming banshee

Oh yes, I put you all to shame. Honestly I do. By day I am this wonderful, caring, patient, kind mummy who always remembers her resolve that nothing is more important than her family and spending time with her daughter. Aww, don't I sound perfect?

By night I turn into this horrible banshee devil woman. The neighbours must think I'm totally insane. Or that I hate being a mum. Or both probably.

Ok it's only been very recently. Since Jazz decided 9.30pm is a good bedtime for her. And I'm studying. Uni. Which has just gone back for summer semester, which I am insanely doing. And my relationship needs some TLC ... 'C' standing for 'couple time'. Couple meaning two. Not three. Three is a crowd Jazzy.

Doesn't that sound terrible already? I should stop and delete, I sound so horrible and selfish. How am I going to handle two children? Who the **** knows...

So come 9pm at night. I'm getting aggitated. I'm losing valuble TLC and study time. I try to put her to sleep by feeding her. Laying down with her. Reading, cuddling, rocking, patting. Pretending to be asleep in the hope that she sleeps.

And then I crack. I yell my poor baby girl is only just two and I yell and scream things to the effect of ...

"THIS NO CRYING THING IS A ****ING JOKE, I'M SHUTTING THE DOOR, YOU CAN SCREAM YOUR LUNGS OUT I DON'T EVEN CARE JUST GO TO SLEEP FOR **** SAKE.
    NO WAIT, JUST STAY UP ALL NIGHT, SEE IF I CARE! I DON'T CARE. DO WHAT YOU WANT. WHY DOES IT MATTER ANYWAY, IT NEVER MATTERS WHAT I WANT, JUST EVERYONE DO WHATEVER THEY WANT AND I'LL JUST STAND AROUND IN THE SHADOWS UNTIL MIDNIGHT WHEN YOU FALL ASLEEP FINALLY AND I MIGHT ACTUALLY BE ABLE TO GET SOME STUDY DONE."

Because of course by the time I'm screaming it's all about me and not TLC couple time. Just to clarify, even though I'm sure you all get the message.

I feel like a terrible, horrible, no good, very bad mum. I can see her little heart breaking and I walk away to another room and slam the door behind me. Usually muttering something about working full-time and studying for a promotion so I can supprt the family but obviously I'm meant to do it in my sleep. And then I bawl my eyes out. Not because I need my own space, but because my daughter deserves so much more than that. I compose myself, get a drink of water, and then find her and I hug her. I squeeze her and I hold her like she'll somehow slip away forever if I let go. Which she might, I wouldn't blame her. I apologise. And then she says "sorry mummy" and there I go and my heart breaks. "No my baby girl, I'm sorry. Don't ever be sorry, it's not your fault." And I hope she understands, even though I doubt she does.

Then I take her to bed with us, and I wake up to my baby girl whispering "wake up mummy" in my ear, and patting my head and calling me monkey mummy (she thinks my bald head makes me look like a monkey) and telling me my "boobies go round", and I hug her, no matter what the time is (usually 5.30am UGH!), and I am glad and thankful that no one came in the middle of the night to take her away.

And I'm the wonderful mummy again. Breakfast at the table with her, giggling about spilt milk, hooraying and cheering when she does her wees on the potty, and crying as I leave for work knowing I won't be home for almost 10 hours Crying but dreading coming home because after a day at work (a child care) with everyone else's toddler, I can barly muster the strength to play with my own I come home and try to relax and destress but lately it just seems to end up the same way. Screaming banshee mum.

Just to follow up... I know I probably have some sort of anger issues, and I'm working on it. I have a lot on my plate, but the only option is to make it work. I'm working on that too. Working on making it work.
    I just need to de-brief. Maybe some hugs. Maybe some nice words and not words to make me feel guilty because trust me I already do.

Oh hun I can get like that too Big squishy hugs all round xxx

Leasha. Your not a bad mummy.

awwww you have got a lot on your plate. Don't beat your self up over it, your doing the best you can.

On the sleep thing though.. Does she have a day sleep still? Maybe its time to cut that out if she does? Iain is 2 (just today <3 ) & if he sleeps inthe day I can forget a decent bed time. So no sleep for him during the day. All of my kids have been the same. By the time they are 18/20 months day sleeps stuff up bed time for us.

Also maybe on nights you really need to study Shell could take over bed time? Jazzy will get use to it. Maybe you could go tot he local macca's for an hour & study there? or hang back at work an hour to study before heading home?

Huugs, things will get better.

Leash, it sounds like you're just exhausted and overloaded and need a break! Something has to give here I'm afraid so you might need to look at how you can take some pressure off yourself. It must be so hard to be patient after a day working at childcare. And 9.30 is really late - maybe Jazzy is ready to drop her daytime sleep?
    I know you are saying the only option is to make it work, but it sounds like right now it is just too much. You need to find a way to release some pressure.
    Take care of yourself

You know what your only fault is? It's that you're only human I think that if anyone says that they have never reached that point where, despite knowing that they shouldn't do it, they yell at their kids like that is probably telling a porky. What you can do is when you feel that you are about to blow your top, walk out. Maybe she will sook for a little while because you've just up and left, but that is much easier for your conscience to deal with than the ****ty way you feel after you've lost it at her. I know because I have done it myself. Many times. There is only so much one person can take before they reach that point and through the day it's easy, because you know you have the whole day to do xyz, but once it gets to night time and you know it's getting later and you still have loads of work to do you start to lose your patience pretty quickly. And she wont hate you because her little mind will be filled with all the wonderful things you do with her there wont be room for the odd time this happens.

I'm sorry. We all get like this sometimes. You're by no means a bad mummy, you're just a stressed mummy with lots on her plate. It'll get better - don't beat yourself up ( though I know it's so easy to do! )

You're an awesome mummy and Jazzy knows that.

Oh Leash
    You poor sweetie

Trillians post is just perfect and everything I could've thought to say.
    We all have moments where we are 'only human'.... And too much stress + lack of sleep is not fun

Everything you're doing is for your beautiful family, and you know there is a purpose... And it won't be this busy forever.

Be kind to yourself, lovely xxxxxx

girlfriend.
    You've got a lot balancing there...

If you have anger management issues then so do I. Being a mum is the thing in life that had tried my patience the most, and yep, sometimes I lose it and I feel as terrible and ashamed as you. But sometimes I feel so pushed to the edge that I have nothing left, not a scrap of patience. I try walking away, but sometimes yes I have snapped.
    I hope it's normal!

How many sleeps is Jaz having? I'd be cutting down if there is room for it, you need your evenings! I know I do.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I could have written that very exact post tonight, the kids had a total meltdown and then I did as well and banshee mummy came out and I've been sitting here so ashamed of myself it's not funny.

So big squishy .

Big I was like this with my first and you know what.. i worked in CC too. I am not saying you should do what i did but I quit work when my Ds was 11 months old.. yes I would get cranky at an 11 month old.. I was tired and i had spent all day with kids (him included as he came too) and was simply over it by night time..

don't feel guilty.. Being a mum is a tough job. is there anyway you can take even 40 mins to yourself at night before you deal with DD? not just the drive home or whatever but once you get home.. have a cold drink and take a book and go read in the backyard or something.. To wind down before your home life begins.. kwim???

your not a bad mummy, if your a bad mum, then im the devils mother re-incarnated, or some such effect much worse!!! i want to give you a round of aplause juggling work, study a 2yro and all the rest life has, wow!! i yell at my boys that often, its at a point were they just dont hear you unless you yell. not good. right now i am doing everyting i can to not go and give my 5yo a good smack on the bum he is currently up the hall sooking and carrying on as he wants to stay up and watch tv with dad.
    theres hope!! just got to change the way you think about situations and how they get handeled. its realy hard!! i yell at the boys every day, but im trying, so far ive yelled oneday out of 3!
    once kids know how to push your buttons, they try push as far as you will let them as they get older. good luck.

You're not a bad mummy, you're a human mummy with a huge load on her plate... and it's not selfish at all, me-time is really important, you NEED it to be able to keep running & giving.
    It's like a petrol tank, you've got to put some back in after a while otherwise you run down.. and you know it's not just about you then.

I've been there with my kids... I still get to that point more than I want to admit Trillian is right, better to walk away & let her sook for a bit, and i reckon the guilt you might feel over that is not as bad as you feel now?

BIG hugs

Big, big squishy from here too.

You are doing the best you can do under REALLY stressful, tiring, full on circumstances. Hats off to you for studying, & working & being a Mum & partner. Jazzy loves you, no matter what, just the way you love her.

Oh my gosh hun, you are NOT a bad mummy, a bad mummy would think that yelling is the way you are meant to talk to your kids. We all do it and sometimes more than others, I will be totally fine and something will set me off and I will think, heck I am glad the windows are shut because of the neighbours. Don't feel guilty babe, one thing I do as well is once I have calmed down and I am hugging the kids again I apologise for yelling etc. I tell her that mummy was angry and that because of that I yelled, but I really shouldn't have. I want them to learn that anger is ok but there are appropriate ways to deal with it and inappropriate and I am only human too but not scared to say sorry.

Also is there any way you can reshuffle your night routine to get her to bed earlier? Ours are usually in bed at 7-7:30. If it gets much past 8 I get antsy because I go to bed at 9:30 and I need some time out by myself. You are NOT selfish wanting that time hun, it is late and you have heaps on your plate with study and work. xoxo Hope you can work things out a bit and find a way to be at peace.

We all have "screaming banshee mean Mummy" moments. Don't feel bad it happens to the best of us When you feel a banshee moment coming on try and remember there are probably several of us having the very same thoughts. Walk away, take a few deep breaths, whisper a call for help to your BB family for the strength to go back in and know that we are are there behind you in spirit. xxx

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast