Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Feeling a little empty

Unhappy Feeling a little empty

I'm sad

I'm sad because I'm starting work next week, this is my last week of being a SAHM. Probably forever. I'll never get to do this again If I take up the training I am being offered, I have to sign a contract to stay with them for x number of years after the training finishes in 2013, which takes baby-making off the table for me for at least 5-10 years.

Shel is having the next one, TTC within the next 12-18 months, so its not like we'll never have another baby in the house, but we can't even do what we have done now (swap roles once bub is 18ish months) because even if i could leave my job, which I won't be able to because I will probably still be training or have JUST finished my training, Shel is completly untrained, unskilled, and the chances of her getting a job that could actually support us as a family of 4 anywhere except where she is about to leave is pretty slim. We've talked about her studying, but she isn't sure.

And I don't think I could turn down the opportunity and give up $12,000 worth of training I'd be basically out of a job as they want staff to have the training.

I've been fooling myself, thinking "it's not forever" but I just feel it inside of me that I'll never do this again, I'll never be a SAHM again, never give birth, never.

I also contacted our clinic yesterday, after a post on here got me thinking, and found out that our donor is no longer available. So there will never be another little Jazzy I don't even know why that affects me so much, it was always a possibility, in fact it was pretty much a given, but it just twangs a little.

No replies needed, no answers or suggestions, I just needed to get it out, I've been carrying it around for a while but never really knew what it was.
    Please don't say "you're only 23" because it won't make me feel better, and there are too many things in the way for me to be able to have another bub in 10 years. It's not like it can accidentally happen... and we only want two, maybe three kids, and we want to stop once the oldest is 10, and ultimately Shel just can't support us since she has no job prospects (I'm not being mean, she left in year 10, is almost 29, has no qualifications, so just doesn't have the capacity to find another job once she leaves, and she doesn't want to go back into cleaning).
    So unless something dramatic changes, this is it...

Just feeling a bit ... sad, a bit empty. Shel never wanted to physicaly have kids, so I always thought I'd have another go, and now she has said she wants to. I guess it's just all hit me at once. I don't feel like I can say any of this to her though, because she wants to experience pregnancy and birth and be the bio-mum, and I want her to because she wants to. I want her to be SAHM to Jazz, I want them to have that together, I think they deserve it, and I am excited about my job and evolving career. I don't want her to feel like decisions she makes are upsetting me, and its my issue anyway.

Anyway... now its out. I'm sad because I'll probably never give birth again. Never be a SAHM again. I feel a little fragile.

Last edited by Indadhanu; January 12th, 2010 at 08:20 AM. Reason: just added some more

Darl, you've got a right to feel sad, it's hard when life changes.

But take it from an old fart ... life has a way of working out in ways that we can't predict no matter how much we try to find 'solutions' in our head.

I hope you don't mind me saying ... but that sounds like a pretty weird contract - wouldn't that be sex discrimination if they don't 'allow' you to take time off to have babies. Does the service have to be continuous?

In terms of Shel's prospects ... I know a few people who also left school in Year 10 and had a career change (or GOT a career) in their late 30s, some with study, some without. Friends of mine now run a backpackers after years of jobs here and there, another friend started studying to become a nurse after being a barmaid for much of her adult life - when she was 38 and other friends are now raking it on the mines after moving to WA in their early 40s with no mining experience whatsoever.

I know you said you didn't want replies but I just wanted to offer some reassurance - even though what I've written might be more annoying than reassuring at this point in time.

thinking of you hun.

Being pregnant is just beautiful isn't it?

huge hugs leash xx

DoubleK Guest

Thanks everyone xxxxx

(feeling a little better, and i got AF about 5 minutes ago so bloody AF emotionals )

Its totally normal to feel sad. They are massive changes!

Take special care of yourself hun.

Hugs darl

xx

Awwww

(and I just quietly have to agree with Fiona, you just never know what the next decade may hold for you)

It's natural to feel a bit daunted about all of the changes you're about to go through. The only thing I would say is that, while you can make plans, things change, hun. Don't worry about what will happen in five or ten years, just get through this experience and the next exciting chapter. You never know what you may experience down the track or how things might change.

Live in the moment and try to enjoy all the wonderful things that are about to happen. And most of all, don't dwell on possible regrets while you have AF!!

PS There'll never be another Jazzy, no matter what. That's why she's so special!

Special hugs to Fiona and marcellus and Jennifer - I know you are right. This time 4 months ago I had dropped out of study, was telling myself I'll neer be a teacher, and two months ago I got the job of a lifetime so I now how quick things change, it just seems to definite at the moment.

Jennifer Jazzy definitely is one of a kind xxx
    Last edited by Indadhanu; January 12th, 2010 at 02:17 PM. Reason: eta; and jennifer!

Gentle

That is alot to deal wiith. We are all here for you

I have some very similar feeling atm Leash x I am looking for a job, have DS booked into childcare and am studying, I have come to realise that my days of SAHM are nearly all over forever and it is highly unlikely I will ever have another bub, DH is not interested at all and I dont even know if I really am.

It is hard to know that your life is about to completely change and you cant just go back to the way things were if you miss your old life IYKWIM.

I am so excited for you and your new working life in your very awesome job. You will still be Jazzy's mum, you will still spend time with her everyday and watch her grow and develope

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast