Thread: I cant stop thinking about what could have happened....

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

Default I cant stop thinking about what could have happened....

DD and DH were making dinner last night, she sits up on the counter and 'helps' every day. And she enevitably picks at stuff as its being made. Last night, as every night, she had a little mouthfull of the meat as it was being cooked, and she started to choke, i was in the kitchen doing something else and DH shouts my name in a terrifed voice, i knew something was wrong right away, and i see DD, red/purple in the face, mouth open, her eyes were terrified and she was pointing at her mouth. DH just grabbed her and stuck his finger in her mouth, he could find what was choking her but he said in the end he put his finger so far down trying to find it that she was sick and it came out. It was the scariest 30/40 seconds, for all of us.
    DH feels like it was his fault, even though it wasnt, DD was so upset, it took me half an hour to calm her down, and i cant stop thinking about what could have happened, we live a twenty minute drive from hospital and goodness knows how long it would take to get an ambulance out here. I cried as i was cuddling her to sleep lastnight and had bad dreams all night! im sure im being over dramatic and I doubt she even remembers it now, but it was the scariest thing seeing her eyes so wild! i just really needed to get it off my chest.
    TIA

How scary
    I'm so glad she is ok!!!

Aw hon you did the right thing and she is fine. These situations are very scary and you do wonder what if, you just have to remind yourself that you did the right thing and it's all ok now.

glad she was ok in the end xo

kirsty_lee Guest

No babe not over dramatic at all!! That would of been soooo scary!! I know what you mean about living where you are being away from hospitals, that would be very scary at a time like that. Maybe to help ease your mind a little bit you could do a first aid course? to your baby girl. I wouldn't of been able to let her out of my sight or away from me all night. You poor thing.

BIG Its awful to see your baby choke

But your DH did the right thing. And not over dramatic at all!

more for you and for DD.

nope not overdramatic and I am sooo glad that she is ok. You both did the right thing and worked well together as a team.

These things that happen are very scary and they make us feel like somehow it was our fault..But the truth is hun, we do the best we can and this that happened to your DD was NOT your fault or DH xx
    My little one choked ona biscuit a few weeks ago and my heart jumped out of my chest, i felt awful , i know how you feel

I am so glad she is ok hun , you both did what you could to help her in such a scary situation

not over reacting at all. It's very scary when that happens. My DD has choked a few times (and do you think she's learnt to chew and swallow instead of inhale her food yet? Nooooooo), and even as a nurse, I still feel that little bit of panic creep into my chest. It's horrible!

Next time, try putting DD face down over your knee with her head pointing downwards, and giving 5 sharp "strikes" with the palm of your hand just between the shoulder blades. Your hand movement should move from the buttock end to the head end (not just a straight down strike). Does that make sense?

MG

That is really scary! My nephew did that when he was 12 months old on a piece of pizza - he wasn't even making noise and my SIL cried for weeks about it. It's awful and that's whaty they said about him too was the look on his face. They got the pizza out of my nephews throat before the ambulance got to their house and my SIL asked the ambulance officer if many kids die from it and he said surprisingly no because they get lots of call outs but most parents just follow their instincts and get whatever it is out.

I'm so glad that you got it out and your DD is okay now. One thing - did you get it all out? It might be worth a trip to the GP just to make sure nothing got pushed down into her lungs because sometimes it can go the other way. It won't hurt her in the short term if it did, but it might be worth making sure.

How awful for you all. Choking can happen so easily and it is no-one's fault. Big hugs to you, your DH and your DD. It sounds horrific. I hope you get lots of snuggles in with your DD today. Sounds like you need them

Same thing happened with my DD and a piece of raw carrot... Same scenario too, she was "helping" with dinner. It is so terrifying.

Hope you are all feeling better today

Its so, so scary! DS has done it to me a few times.

First a lid off a water bottle at about 10 months, then maggi noodles then last christmas we had to call an ambulance after he decided the girls weren't allowed to have the red frogs I'd given him to pass on... instead he shoved all 3 in his mouth!! Ended in disaster!!! lol

Its so scary seeing them like that, & that colour in his face with the noodles (that one stopped him breathing, with the frogs they slowly broke down, so he was just breathing) is something I'll never forget.
    hope she doesn't do it again x

oh how scary! I'm glad she's alright!

I second the idea of doing a first aid course, it gives just a little more structure around what to do. for DD, for you

so glad she is ok. It's terrifying when it happens. DD has choked a few times and once when DH wasn't home and I was petrified. ( potato chip)

After that, I did a ST johns first aid course called "care for kids" it was so worth it. Now I feel confident what to do if ever that happens again.

A big blow to their back between shoulder blades with the bottom of your hand is safest way to dislodge food. Putting your fingers down their throat to pick it out (I've done this myself) can sometimes make it worse by pushing it further down so they don't recommend that.