Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I'm so ashamed of myself

Unhappy I'm so ashamed of myself

I am so ashamed of myself.

Two nights ago DS started getting a cold overnight, and as a result he was up every 10 minutes (or less) before we decided to give him panadol around 11pm. I finally got DS back to sleep around midnight and I went to bed bed and got about 4 hours sleep before he woke and did the same thing again. I got maybe an extra hour later that morning when DH got up.
    Yesterday was a long busy day being Mother's Day. In the evening I had my mum and sister over to watch a movie. DS slept right through the evening, but woke when I went to go to bed (about 11.30). I slept for maybe half an hour before DS woke up. I went into him and fed him and rocked him. I got him down around 1am and went back to bed only to have him wake again 10 minutes later. I went back in and repeated the process: feed, rocking... but this time he wouldn't let me put him down. He was fine while I rocked him but as soon as I'd put him down he'd wake up crying. Fair enough, he has a cold and was feeling a bit miserable. But after the who-knows-what-number-time I'd tried putting him down I just lost it. I yelled out in frustration while holding him and shouted "just go to sleep" and "I just want to sleep" over and over, which of course made DS cry even more than he already was. Then I flicked the light on and sat down on the bed again still holding DS and crying.

I had woken DH, and he came in and took DS off me, but since I'm the one who always does (and always has) settled DS, DS didn't like it and just wanted to come straight back to me.

I just feel so ashamed. Sure I was tired, but I shouldn't ever take it out on DS like that . I really hate myself for doing that. It's not his fault he has a cold and was needing extra mummy cuddles to get through the night.

Thanks for reading. No advice needed really - I just needed to get this out. I know what I did was wrong, and I don't want to do it ever again .

we have all been there and done that... Being tired makes it so hard and so easy to snap... Forgive yourself.

...where jumping on the bed is mandatory!

hugs to you, its so hard when they are sick and your SO tired, belive me, im sure we have all had our moments!!! Can you bring him into bed with you for a few nights while hes sick, so he can have his mummy cuddles and you can snooze?? hope hes on the mend soon. hugs hugs hugs

Hi Sterla, hugs to you, dont be ashamed of yourself, sleep deprivation does the worst things to people and being a mum is the hardest job in the world. I have recently been through a hard time with my DD and I didnt just yell at her I smacked her and pushed her, I was getting an hour sleep at a time, or nothing at all and she was being a handful all day long to the point where I was a sobbing mess on the floor. I know how you are feeling because I felt terrible too, but dont beat yourself up about it, you are doing such a great job and you should be proud of yourself.
    I dont really have much more to say just thought I would offer a hug.

try not to be too hard on yourself...Ive had moments like that before, im sure lots of tired mums do

Oh sterla, I've got tears in my eyes for you, I know exactly what you are going through... been there, done that... and I cried and hated myself for it too.

Try not to beat yourself up... though I know that's easier said than done...

I would be lying if I said I have never done what you've done It scares the daylights out of you to know that you can get so angry at a situation you know isn't anyone's fault, but when you are surviving on such little sleep it is so easy to snap even though you know you would never intentionally do anything like that. Please don't feel bad because you know that it was a once off and that you never intended to hurt of frighten him

Thanks for your replies.

I just don't understand why I snapped last night. When DS was 10-11 months he went through a crappy, crappy period of sleep. He was up every 2-3 hours every night for well over a month, and he was also difficult to get back down each time he woke. I had a few moments where I cried, but I never snapped at him like that. Now that he's sleeping better usually I'm finding it harder to deal when he doesn't .

It is comforting to know I'm not the only one who has been through it. I don't feel like quite as much of a monster.

sleep deprivation does horrible things to us. It's ok to feel bad about it, that's what makes you a good mum but you don't need to hold onto it. Get it off your chest, forgive yourself & move on. I hope you get some sleep soon

oh hun!!!sleep is such an evil thing. its especially bad when we're so used to our LO's sleeping right through!!!
    when DD1 was a bubba i actually bit her i was that frustrated!! dont ask me why but thats what i did! pmsl.
    You're not a bad mummy and dont feel guilty hun, ur human, it happens and it'll happen again. its sucky but everyone gets over it!
    DS wont remember the night when he was 1 and his mummy cut sick at him!!
    Hope u and him are feeling much better today
    xxxx

mate, it comes with empathy and total understanding.

Forgive yourself hun. I doubt there are many mummies who haven't done something similar (me ). You know it's not good, but there really are strong mitigating circumstances here. It was the same for me - I handled it ok for the first 12 months or so... then... oh dear. I've lost it a few times. The last time I yelled at DS was just a week or so ago (he had a cold too! oh that makes it worse I know) and after he'd calmed down he snuggled up to me and said "mum told me off".
    But we have to let these things go and move on. He won't be permanently scarred by ocasional slip-ups, I'm sure of that.

ive had a crap one too, so heres a hug for all of us

i'm welling up cos i'm having one of those days...okay, it's been a few days now...as well. you can't help but feel awful but geez it's tough. be kind to yourself cos you're doing a fab job, your DS knows how much his mummy loves him

Sweety, there's not many mums out there who can say they've never done that. I've sworn at DS once, I felt so awful and ashamed afterwards, but sleep deprivation is an awful, awful thing to go through. for you, you're a fantastic mum and don't ever forget it!

Oh Sterla - Hugs babe. Been there are done that!
    DD seems to wake at 1 am evey night now and will not for the life of me go back to sleep in her cot. So I have been sleeping in the spare room in spare bed with her - its the only way we both get back to sleep.
    Hugs babe abd know you are not alone!
    Kate xox

Thank you for all your replies, it means so much .

Ditto everyone else. Ive been there many a time. I hope your Ds starts to feel better soon, its so hard when they are sick and dont know what they want or how you can help them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast