Thread: My turn to debrief.. feeling guilty

Default My turn to debrief.. feeling guilty

Today I took DD to the Pet Food shop today to buy some more food for our cats. While we were there she wanted to look at the fish. She was sitting quietly in front of the tanks. And as I was paying for the food she came to tell me about a sheep. Of course on her way back she tripped and hit the shelving unit where the fish tanks are. She has a lovely black-eye/bruise on the side of her eye.

Now I have the mummy guilts that it happened. Logically I know it was an accident but the emotions have taken over.

hun, i still have the guilts after DD2 fell out of our bed last week.
    Hope her black eye is gone ASAP, get yourself a nice cuppa and relax for a bit

well.. obviously you shouldn't have pushed her.

Nah....A "good parent" would have cleared the entire shop of fishtanks and other sharp corners and edges before letting their child walk through the door!

Indie, we can do all we can to protect our children and keep them from harm but sometimes, despite our best efforts, life (and fishtanks) get in the way.

Don't beat yourself up. Give her a kiss instead

Oh crap. This means people are looking at me with DS and thinking I'm the world's worst mother. My response to him only the other day was "well don't walk into trees then, you silly."

Accidents happen. You are not a bad mother for your daughter having an accident. You are a good mother for worrying about her and making sure she's OK.

At least you noticed that he walked into a tree!!!

Yeah, he said "ow, the tree hit me" - that's what gave me the clue.

*grins* Nice one TFB

DD had a talent for acquiring nice massive glaringly obvious bruises JUST before we had family photos booked. Or something else of the sort...

Accidents will happen, and yes we get the guilts but it's all part of growing up - try not to beat yourself up too much