Thread: Who else has a 9yr old boy that does....

Default Who else has a 9yr old boy that does....

Hi i have a 9 yr old son who is constantly talking or just yapping about absolutely NOTHING!
    It is driving me up the wall.... NO its not a attention thing as im always hugging kissing talking to him and asking how school, help him with homework etc etc.
    He has 2 big sbrothers and even they tell him to be quiet as he is just yapping ....
    I have tried talking calmly to yelling to ignoring.... and then when he does get the hint he sulks like no one loves him Its unbelievable. Mornings are the worst and i have not the pts at all first thing and i have told him 'dont come near me just yet im still waking up!' This works for like 10mins then he is in my face and then wonders why mum has los it lol.... Im so over telling him to get out of my face, im over telling him to use his brains and very over repeating myself over and over. It reminds me of the 4 yr old "why questions' even then i had to put a limit of how many question and it was 4 questions and only if they were good questions and not the questions he already new.

Do anyone elses son drive them crazy and what can i do to try to improve this behaviour.

mynephew turns 10 in 2 days and well OMG he could talk the ear of a donkey

So it doesn't slow down then?! I have a four year old motor mouth & he just doesn't stop. I love that he's so inquisitve about everything, but some days it definitely does get a bit much

paradise lost Guest

I was that 9 year old.

I too sulked when i was teased, berated or punished for talking. And i definitely believed it was because they didn't love me or care about me. In some cases i still feel that is true, they didn't want to listen to me, and weren't interested in me, and still don't and aren't.

In my case it was because i had things inside me I COULDN'T say, "issues" if you like, and i was desperately trying to survive them by saying anything and everything else. I have spent my whole life trying and failing to find a connection with many people in my family, talking is my best communication tool, not my only but my best. My childhood looks retrospectively like a one-sided conversation through which i was desperately trying to make sense of the world.

The only advice i can offer is to try listening to what he ISN'T telling you. Underneath all my constant chat chat chat i was a scared and damaged littl girl with some very heavy secrets and baffling problems.

Bx

Wow, I could have posted that thread. My DS is 11 and doesn't stop talking from the moment he gets up to when he goes to bed, I know exactly how you feel. I'll keep an eye on this thread, I need help too .

Regards,
    Dianne

my brother is now 22 n he still wont shut up!!! n he always has to have the last word!

my 9 yo has to haev the alst word all the time adn will argue black and blue even if he is wrong as he cant be wrong adn will go on adn on about stuff.

Yep - same here !

A 9 year old who seems to talk c**p alot of the time. He is really bad at explaining things - it takes forever. My 7 year old just gets to the point !

But i do often feel so bad when we fob our 9 year old off because he does seem so heart broken. We have tried explaining that he needs to get to the point because by the time he tells us something we are totally confused and have forgotten what he is talking about in the first place.

Its very frustrating -

I do realise that we need to listen to him and i really worry that its having an impact on him but sometimes i dont have the patience or i am trying to concentrate on something else.
    At least i know i am not alone - i thought it was just me.

I feel like a really bad Mum !

Quote Originally Posted by paradise lost View Post
    I was that 9 year old.

I too sulked when i was teased, berated or punished for talking. And i definitely believed it was because they didn't love me or care about me. In some cases i still feel that is true, they didn't want to listen to me, and weren't interested in me, and still don't and aren't.

In my case it was because i had things inside me I COULDN'T say, "issues" if you like, and i was desperately trying to survive them by saying anything and everything else. I have spent my whole life trying and failing to find a connection with many people in my family, talking is my best communication tool, not my only but my best. My childhood looks retrospectively like a one-sided conversation through which i was desperately trying to make sense of the world.

The only advice i can offer is to try listening to what he ISN'T telling you. Underneath all my constant chat chat chat i was a scared and damaged littl girl with some very heavy secrets and baffling problems.

Bx

Thanks for this reply however my 9 year old always knows he can tell me anything... he doesnt have a bad life, the opposite he has a great little life he however thinks his life sucks on the occassions we tell him to SHUTUP your talking to much about NOTHING!

Quote Originally Posted by diannescruffy View Post
    Wow, I could have posted that thread. My DS is 11 and doesn't stop talking from the moment he gets up to when he goes to bed, I know exactly how you feel. I'll keep an eye on this thread, I need help too .

Regards,
    Dianne

Well thanks for this response as I thought i was doing something terribly wrong as well ... what bad bad mums we are lol....

Another thing he has started to do is ignore my requests as Thomas does what Thomas wants(he tries put it that way but doesnt get too far) for eg. As we have a blended family ranging from 17 14 9 and the 13 mther i have told Tom to stay in bed/bedroom til 8am and ill come and get him...on school mornings (if tom had his way he would be up with the birds) It was working beautifully and i explained why i had to have staggered shifts as it would be MAHEM otherwise.... and Mum doesnt do morning at the best of time hahah...
    Anyway just Frid morning he did the 'lets think up any excuse just to get Mums attention trick' . I moved him down the back at 6 30am as Ali woke and i new he wouldnt go back down so i thought id be a good mum and let tom sleep more in the spare room which he has done and loves it.... Frid... i saw him go to the toilet at 6 40am and then he walked out again at 7am heading to the toilet again (i was trying to get Ali back to sleep) and did i tell him off.... i said 'where are you going?' he said 'the toi toi toilet' i said 'you have been 5 mins ago.... do you need to do a poo?' he said No and then said 'oh yeah i forgot i went b4' With that i barked at him to stay in that room until i come and get him or else i will be the mother from HELL!
    I mean WTF ! if i did this to my MUm my bum would be red!