Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why am I the lucky one...

Default Why am I the lucky one...

... Who has received the joyous delight of a non-sleeping baby????

DD was hard work on the sleep front. For the most part, she now relatively easily goes to sleep for two hours during the day, then bed at 7pm-ish until 6-7am-ish. Most nights she will sleep without waking.

But this has really only come about in the last 6mths. Before that she was hard work. I had nights of no sleep, days of fighting her for over an hour to get her to nap. But we did it and she's good now.

And then we has DS. So good to begin with, as I said to everyone, well we deserved a good sleeper, DD was so abysmal. And now he is worse than she was.

He has no routine during the day for sleeping. He will either feed to sleep or drift off in my arms but then wake as soon as he's moved.

Overnight - bleh. He goes down now reliably around 7pm, will sleep for 3hrs, maybe even 4, then wake. And then what happens next is anyone's guess. But sleep is never really a big part.

Anyway - just talking to a friend of mine who's had her first bub, admittedly he's only 11wks, but he's already going down at 7pm, sleeping til 3am most nights and then til 8 or 9am.

And I am so flipping jealous.

If it makes you feel better I have 3 crap sleepers - number 4 to be determined.

So you are not alone!

Ditto what Mel said, though I have had 2 non sleepers, and the third is turning bad as we speak.....I feel your pain. I haven't slept well for 4 years. I have learnt to accept that sleep is no longer a part of my life. Sad but true. I'm hoping it might come back to me in a year or so.

I have had 2 terrible sleepers. Ds1, 3.5 still wakes at least once. Ds2 (18 months) wakes anywhere from 1-6 times a night. I can count on one hand how many nights I have never had to get up to him.

Dd (8 weeks) is yet to be determined. She is atm sleeping from 9pm to 3am but is then waking at 5am and not going back to sleep. So I know how you feel. I am certainly totally exhausted.

Sent from my HTC Desire using Tapatalk

hun my 3 were and still crap sleepers
    i will give you last nights run down
    DS1- asleep at 7pm- he always goes down easily- up at 4.45am this morning!!!
    DD1- asleep at 11pm - up and 7am
    boof- down at 8pm , up again at 12am and then down again at 1.30am and then up at 5am FOR THE DAY!!!!
    twins did not sleep through till they were 3 years old and boof has still yet to sleep through!!!!

you have 2 choices- run with in and just go with what he wants/needs
    or take some action and do some behaviour changing- ie. sleep school, control crying, or some other form
    only you can make this choice
    sorry no magic answers
    hugs hun and will bring some toothpicks with me tommorow if that helps!!
    mwah mwah mwah

Sounds just like my two

So Mel - you had two crap sleepers, had a third, who was also a also a bad sleeper, and you were still happy to go for #4? Maybe there's hope that one day I will be ready to think about #3... At the moment it kind of freaks me out...

Ladies it is really nice to know I am not alone. Thank you.

DH called this morning and asked how my night was, he's a heavy sleeper and gone by 6am... I said "horrible but it's all ok now, it's daylight..."

I'm worried I'm starting to get anxious again about him waking at night...

Oh hun, that's tough! At least you know you're not alone now

My DD was a brilliant (night) sleeper all along and was sleeping through from 9 weeks (10-12 hours straight ) UNTIL that second damn tooth arrived around 6 months She's a pretty good sleeper I guess but we honestly never know these days what we are going to get from her. In the past month or so, I've done a couple of all nighters (more or less) due to teeth or illness or her just being a pain in the butt!! We are in Singapore at the moment and the first two nights she slept through til 5.30am then was up for the day. OK for some but she normally sleeps til 8am or so! Last night she had a shocker, I think I got up 8 times and finally settled her in bed with us around 5am and she slept til 8. So we got a sleepin I guess but had a crap night. I can't win

So hon, no advice but I hope you feel better knowing you are not alone in the crazy world of sleep - or should I say 'no sleep'?

Oh hun, just came in to offer you some big hugs

My DS has been a pretty good sleeper during the night, so can't complain there, but a shocker during the day. I guess it would be that much harder not to have that sleep during the night and then have to face the day. Hope it gets better for you hun

Ahhh thanks ladies. Taurean - we have been cosleeping a little bit but it doesn't always work... He just doesnt seem to like it!

How's Singapore???

MissB - thanks. It does seem harder at night... I think because you are supposed to be sleeping yourself...

It's also harder because I'm doing it all myself at night. During the day I've got help. DH or others can help out. At night, it's just me, the endless hours between midnight and 6am and the screaming, unhappy baby.

He's still asleep... Every night I go to bed at this time and feel a glimmer, a flicker, that maybe tonight will be the night that he sleeps past midnight. And then maybe, just maybe, it'll be the start of a good pattern.

And then he wakes up.

DD hasn't really ever been a fan of cosleeping either, I only try it when I'm really desperate!

I have no advice.... But I feel you pain!

DD has never slept well, and some days I feel like I am in groundhog day.... It gets to bed time and I just don't know if I have the strength to do it all for another night

Then I go to mothers group and someone tells me they are "so exhausted" because their kid woke ONCE in the night and they usually sleep twelve hours.

I am just repeating to myself what I read in one of the millions of baby books I had read " poor sleepers are really just highly intelligent, they find it hard to switch off". So our children are geniuses!!!!! Lol

Quote Originally Posted by Meercat View Post
    Then I go to mothers group and someone tells me they are "so exhausted" because their kid woke ONCE in the night and they usually sleep twelve hours.
    Oh I so know what you mean... Do you want to slap them yet??!

Ok so we are breeding genius children then... I can live with that

I feel your pain sweet lady!!!! xxxx

Yep lol i will join you. DD was a crap sleeper at 3.5 shes getting much better, but DS is so much worse than she was and still is!!!

On a good note.....they wont be like that when there teenagers right....we can sleep then

I am just repeating to myself what I read in one of the millions of baby books I had read " poor sleepers are really just highly intelligent, they find it hard to switch off". So our children are geniuses!!!!! Lol
    i'll take that!

We have to try to reconcile with it somehow!

gah OP I could have written your post.
    time 1000 from me. I hated those women too.
    I'm nearly into my 6th year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast