Thread: Why did I have to yell??

Default Why did I have to yell??

Its after now... and I just am sitting here wondering why I felt I needed to yell at Matilda this afternoon.

Yes she ran in while I was trying to settle Jovie, not once, not twice but three times making it impossible.

Yes she destroyed the tent I just bought her for her bed and its only been on there 3 weeks.

Yes she yelled at me calling me a "poopey head "

Yes she grabbed the dog by the tail and pulled

Yes she threw her chicken noodle soup I made just for her on the floor

Yes she told me to go away and that she wants her daddy....

But why did I have to resort to yelling at her? Why couldn't I be the patient enduring mother who just calmly says " poor you Matilda" and walks away... Why did I just get played by a 4 yr old?

Yes I'm sick

Yes I was up for 4 hours last night holding her hand while she tossed and turned complaining of tummy cramps

Yes I've got heaps to do to get the house ready for a birthday party

Yes I've got a backload of washing taking over my laundry because I have been sick all week

Yes I'm worried about money because she just broke one toy, we only bought her one for her birthday and I can't afford to get more....

Yes what am I going to make for dinner???

Yes the baby is still awake and grumpy.....

*whew.... feels better*

I don't think you're a poopey head! And she doesn't really either - you are both just tired and sick and sometimes we all do and say things that we don't mean.

You are a great mother - and nothing else matters.

Sounds like you need this. Dont be too hard about yelling at her. You know it probably wasnt the best way to react to her behaviour but you ARE human and from the sounds of things you arent in the best shape yourself, its not like you can call in sick from your mummy duties. Is there anyone you can call on to give you a hand to tidy up etc if the house is bothering you, or just to make you a cuppa, or take the kids for an hour so you can have a rest? Go easy on yourself with a baby and sm child its not easy (trust me i know) but in a few days you will look back and wonder why you let it get you down. Look after yourself and when you are feeling better you will look back and it wont seem so bad.

You yelled because you're human mate.

If it helps, the thing I loved about my dad growing up wasn't that he never made mistakes, but that he was able to humble himself and would always come and apologise when he did something wrong. That has had such an impact on my relationships with people, especially my dh, and also my kids - I don't beat myself up for stuffing up, I go and do what I was taught to do - make things right again.

Hope your day gets better and more positive. xo

Oh HUGE hugs....I was an idiot yesterday so I know how you feel.

Christy, I'm certain that the length of my 'fuse' is directly proportionate to the amount of sleep I get, and I know how easy it is to just do it before you can even think about it.

Thanks guys, I was beating myself up for it...

Because everyone has a limit, and just like you know they do, they need to know you do too. Yeah so you probably shouldn't have yelled but in the great big scheme of things how you deal with it after is more important than the initial yelling (unless of course all you do is yelling :P).

Lots of hugs coming your way...

I was grumpy mummy today and am feeling similarly I wish my words could comfort me LOL!

Meh. She yelled, you yelled... you're both human!

I get the impression this is obviously not the way you normally communicate with each other so it's no biggie. Look at the positive that it's an oppotunity to teach Matilda how we apologise when we lose control and go give her cuddle and a sorry. She'll be fine. And I hope you get some rest!

OMG Christy - does it take ALL OF THAT to make you yell? Ok, now I feel like a bad mother. I am sure I would have cracked sooner than you!!

Big hugs hun. Will PM you to see if I can do anything to help.

Oh yeah I would have yelled too huni. Don't be so damn hard on yourself. You are one person, who is obviously being stretched to your limits.

You yelled. It could have been worse. You could have smacked as well.

Mate, NOTHING gets me more than when DS stops me putting DD to bed.

I will always regret pulling up my carpet because now, even though he will be good and stay in the lounge room he stomps nice and loud on the floor

OMG, if you didn't yell I think I would hate you for being waaaayyy too good.
    It takes less than that to make me yell. Instead of beating yourself up for yelling I think you should pat yourself on the back for holding it together for so long and not yelling before.

Quote Originally Posted by MantaRay View Post
    OMG Christy - does it take ALL OF THAT to make you yell? Ok, now I feel like a bad mother. I am sure I would have cracked sooner than you!!
    I was thinking the same thing
    You're only human and we all have our limits...tomorrow is another day