Thread: Worst Mother in the World award - won by ME today :(

Default Worst Mother in the World award - won by ME today :(

I don't know whether to laugh or cry - DS has been excessively whingy and whining all day, which is fair enough, he has just started walking so it probably going through a big developmental leap and a bit out of sorts, but by the end of the day I was just OVER it. Tried to cook dinner (burnt it due to DSs demands) then tried to put him in his high chair to eat - TANTY time!! Decided it wasn't worth it so let him sit on the floor while we ate at the table, despite the mess it was all going well......

..............................UNTIL I dared to leave the table to get him a tub of yogurt from the fridge, he cracked it, started throwing himself on the ground etc, after trying to cuddle him, settle him etc he threw the spoon at me.

Stupid I know but this was the straw that broke the camels back so to speak, Showing my maturity I threw his yoghurt on the floor - OMIGOD!! What a great example to set Naomi!!!

I scooped him up (still in anger) and took him for a bath, all hell broke loose, his tanty turned into a meltdown, he was trying to bang his head against the tiles and after about ten minutes of heartbreaking cries, my naked whimpering baby finally calmed down. My stupid reactions caused this, I have no idea how to handle tantrums - they are relatively new to us.

I suck!!

you dont suck at all...you were just over it.
    We all go through it doesnt mean we're bad mum's...we're human and have emotion's.
    Ive learnt to take myself to the naughty corner, have 10 mins time out to put some distance between me and the kids and its so much better afterwards.

Tomorrrow is a brighter day...a cleaner floor and another tube of yoghurt

Oh darl, you don't suck at all! You had just reached your limit & you were over it! You're allowed to be over it, you're allowed to be overwhelmed & you're allowed to be a human with emotions as real as your little one.

Tomorrow is a brand new day!

Love Jayne x

No you're not, you'd just had enough. I caught myself jumping up and down in frustration like a 3 year old once. Your ds probably just wanted you to stay close.
    I find the best thing when mine are tantrumming is just to sit down and wait it out, as long as they can't hurt themselves. It does pass
    Just relax

Ah don't give yourself a hard time about it, you are only human and we can't be super mum all the time. Tantrums are an interesting new addition to our lives too and I have been at a loss how to handle them. I bought The Science of Parenting after hearing other rave about it on here and it has good advice on tantrums. I'm trying to follow it, but yes, sometimes they do just get the better of you!

Hope tomorrow is a better day!

Everyone has their limit, you reached yours, don't beat yourself up about it, you're not the worst mother in the world!

Enchanted Guest

You don't suck at all!

This is something that happens quite regularly in my house The kids will push my buttons and push me to the limit and I snap and do something similar to what you did. Sometimes it all just gets too much for us and it's ok. We are allowed to vent and have a little spazzo, if we didn't we would go crazy!

LOL Maz - there is still plenty of yogurt for me to throw around tomorrow

Thanks Ladies - I REALLY needed the boost and appreciate all your supportive words, was feeling very stupid and lame, now I am over it had a good giggle with DH regarding the 'Yogurt Incident'. You are all right - we are only human and all have our limits! I can just see next time my DH will be saying "Naomi, put DOWN the yogurt" LMAO

Oh darl, I've done something very similar myself. I felt so awful about it afterwards so massive hugs to you Didn't help that my DH was sitting there looking at me as if to say "And who is the parent?"

Glad to see you're laughing about it now

Times like these arent just limited to parenting so dont feel bad; all these shoe throwing incidents at politicians lately are a fabulous (and funny!) example.

Ive been known to do this; quite often after hours of endless tanty's about stupid things Mummy throws one of her own.......................I kick furniture, I throw toys, I scream. Gives the kids a little shock at the ridiculousness of tanty's and later on we have a good giggle about it.

(FWIW I am currently the reigning queen of the bad mother world, TWO yes thats right TWO of my kids stuck their fingers in the same fan and mangled them up a bit within 24hrs. So your going to have to step up your yogurt throwing to knock me off my pedestal )

hun dont be so hard on yourself i have those meltdowns nearly everyday.... sometimes u just wanna smash ur head between the front screen door n the security door...
    kids will be kids n wat they do as tantrums is there expertise... no one can do it better... but u need to take a step back and take a deep breath at times more then u think...
    u dont suck ur a great mum!!! at least u try n do things that will make him happy xox

NAY!!!! Right now, go and look in the mirror....do it!!!

And look at yourself and say...

I AM A WONDERFUL MOTHER.

Your gorgeous boy smiles constantly, and obviously adores you. Not the makings of a bad mother. The sudden tantrums are impossible and shocking - where did our beautiful, placid babies go? Hope you're sitting there right now, enjoying Rafters and get that big smile on your face soon.

sweetgloss Guest

You do not suck!! We have all been there at some point! Please dont beat yourself up, you sound like a terrific Mummy who just had a stress day and had to throw a little yoghurt LOL

LOL! I let DD continue to tip her bowl of yoghurt all over her high chair tray tonight cause I was over it! It's a mummy thing hon, don't be hard on yourself! DD is almost 14 mths but we already have tanties and we ignore them. Best advice I can give cause boy does she get over them quickly! Big hugs, you're doing a great job - all mums throw yoghurt now and then

you sooo do not suck. best way to deal with a tanty i find it to totally ignore it go on with what you are doing