Thread: Putting the fun back in

Default Putting the fun back in

Its easy to get swamped by daily life, and we all have days when we feel overwhelmed, so I'd like to start this thread where we can share our ideas on how to put the fun back into being. parent.
    I don't want to be a grumpy growly mum, that just sucks for everybody.

have a dance - when we are bored and the kids are winding each other up- I like to put some music on. it often ends up in a game of musical statues

great thread!!!

DD loves it when I start dancing around the house or sing loudly in the car.

At home we often sing with our hairbrushes as microphones.

We have done the odd dinner picnic dinner on the lounge room floor with a picnic rug. must do that again.

I try to make a game of doing things. eg, if I want to change her nappy, instead of picking her up and taking her to the table, I say 'chase you' and she runs away giggling, so we play chasies and then when she is closer to the table i grab her and tickle her and then do it. makes something mundane fun.

Jump on the bed. Seems to get everyone happy and playing together around here.

Yesterday was a chilly day and I was feeling so tired and sick, so I picked myself up and went and rolled outside on the grass with DD. we giggled, and cuddled and the warmth of the sunshine was a huge pick me up. Then we built a block tower too.... So simple.

Sometimes I say something silly instead of telling my kids off.

It creates enough of a distraction to break the cycle of whatever thing is escalating, gives everyone a giggle and we can move onto the next thing.

I will second the singing/dancing/putting funny outfits on thing too.

Another suggestion for FUN is to have a Friday Night Family Night. Essentially this is a no-tv no-screen no-device event where you have something simple for tea or even takeaway (to cut down on after dinner chores) and then everyone sits down to play some games together. Doesn't really matter what the games are or even if they are jigsaw puzzles or even a simple shared craft thing, it just matters that everyone's together looking at each others' faces and smiling.

When dh is home, we take one kid each and 'race' each other to get them dressed and ready for bed.

Taking time to do some cooking with DD is a great way for us to connect .

when Im getting frazzled with the boys instead of yelling I will say- hop on 1 foot and count to 100 or rub ur belly -tap ur head. silly things.
    I have also been know to start random stair races or star jump competitions to distract.

I'm subbing. Can always use some reminder.

surrounded by textbooks, cat toys and love

Mummy Crane. As in 'It seems like your having trouble walking to the bath, do you want to go by Mummy Crane?' Complete with 'rrrrrrrr rrrrrrrrrr' noises and some raising and lowering.

Loving all these ideas! This pregnancy has exhausted me and I find myself getting impatient with dd pretty quickly, will definitely need to hit the silly switch more often I think!!

learn to say 'mummy needs a moment' and leave the room, take a deep breath and let go of the little things.
    or a quick tension breaker is to grab them for a cuddle

We swap shoes. We race to put on the first pair of shoes we can find and run around in them. The girls have discovered my heels so now they run to get them. Getting my size 10 into a kids 10 is quite the sight.
    I often let the girls pick whatever they want to wear whether we are going out or staying home. Gets interesting and random.

Random games of musical statues.

Let the girls pick the music while we play.

Jump in puddles