Thread: 123 Magic v PPP or something else?

Question 123 Magic v PPP or something else?

So I've turned into an angry, stressed mummy and I'm not sure if it's in response to my boys' (2.5 and almost 5) behaviour or their behaviour is responding to mine (and DH's) Probably both I'm guessing! I also have a newborn - so it's manic!

I need to DO something! I've been reading about 123 Magic and PPP. I might be able to do a 123 Magic course but not until term 3 (I've just missed one) but I can buy the materials to watch and read at home for both, which means I can watch with DH (he wouldn't be able to attend the course)

From what I can see, the 123 course is more of a technique? The PPP is more...open? Are there any other alternative programs I should look at?

I'm leaning towards 123 Magic but thought I'd ask the wise Mamas of BB first!

Default Re: 123 Magic v PPP or something else?

I did Parent Effectiveness Training (27 hours over 9 weeks) and absolutely loved it.

I use it more on my XH and my clients, now, than on my children as they are doing really well.

Good luck!

I bought the PET book. After advice from here.

I think a course would be better.

I think with all of them, you will only take out what you are prepared to do, you know, what actually already fits with your parenting ideals. I didn't write that well. I guess what I mean is each of them would provide you with some good helpful advice / techniques. You aren't going to totally rewrite the way you parent, just gain some insight into what works sometimes and why.

I downloaded the ebook of 123 Magic. It was only $6, so no loss if I don't like the program. I also found a children's book, to help kids understand the program/technique which I thought was a great idea! I plan to start reading tonight!

I borrowed the DVD from my local library too

Haven't done anything else so can't compare, but I loved 123 Magic. Definitely helps if your DH can be part of the process.

Im not a fan of the 123 program - just my personal values, it didnt sit right with me.
    Other things Ive been suggested are Circle of Security and Positive Parenting.

It all depends on your values and what kind of parenting style you believe suits you.

From what I have heard though - 2 child therapists and my own counsellor have said that if I can get into circle of security to jump on it because it is very very good

I've done both 123 magic and PPP courses. I loved 123 magic, it helped me so much when my kids were younger. I didn't understand PPP. No idea whether it was the way it was explained by the person running it or if I'm just dumb and it went over my head but I can honestly say I didn't get anything out of the course.

Can someone give me the general gist of 123 magic vs PPP.

Quote Originally Posted by 2CheekyMonkeys View Post
    Can someone give me the general gist of 123 magic vs PPP.
    I am interested too, particularly in ppp.

I loved the emotion coaching side of things from 123.
    We talk a lot with the counting and give natural consequences such as "We need to put our shoes on now, or we will miss playgroup. Thats 1. Lets put our shoes on, so we can go to playgroup. 2. When I say 3, we wont be going to playgroup. Put your shoes on please."
    I rarely have to go past 2 with my (just turned) 4yo, and Ive found the counting gives her time to think and self correct.
    The emotion coaching was along the lines of "You are really cross that I turned the TV off, arent you? Its not time for TV now. We will watch TV after our showers." and then we do 'time in' and cuddle with DD until she has calmed down.