Thread: Day sleeps

Default Day sleeps

DD has 3 sleeps a day morning, midday, afternoon. I know at her age the afternoon sleep turns into a nap instead of a 'sleep' but my problem is she is skipping the midday sleep (mostly because we are out and about) but can't make it through till the arvo 'nap' (which would make it around 6 hours awake time and I'm not comfortable with that). Plus she gets very cranky! The only way she will sleep is if we are home and i put her down.

Anyone else had/have this problem? What did you do?

Default Re: Day sleeps

I had this problem with DS1 and I basically worked around his schedule and made sure we were home for the midday sleep, so as not to ruin his routine.

Now DS2, the same is happening... I've been trying to get him used to sleeping in places other than his cot. So every couple of days, I put him in the pram and go for a walk for the late afternoon nap, or morning sleep.

I have found that if I put him down to sleep somewhere else in his sleeping bag (swaddle up), he will sleep pretty well, because he's created an association with it. On the other side of the coin, I need to wean him off it soon and create a new one - maybe a comforter?

Does she have anything she uses to get off to sleep? If she doesn't, maybe you could introduce something?

Apparently if you use the same kind of things you would at home, when you're out, they feel more comfortable to sleep.

Yes she has a pink bunny comforter she's had it since she was 2 weeks old. I always bring it when we go out and sometimes she will sleep, but as she gets older it's harder to get her to. And I go mad staying at home all day every day! It just messes with the whole day sometimes. I got home 40 minutes before her 3pm feed and put her straight down, she slept so that was great. Happy now playing on her rug

DS never, ever slept when we were out and about, except for in the car. I avoided trips around nap times, or he'd have his nap in the car on the way there and another in the car on the way home. I'd often have to keep driving, so got to do a bit of sightseeing (made the odd trip through the drive through too!). Sometimes I could park somewhere for a bit while he slept, or I'd sit in the carport with him if we were home.

That's the other option... If her midday nap has been crappy and interrupted, then put her down for her afternoon one earlier than normal.

If I want to go out, during one of the sleeps, then I make sure the other major one is a good one. Does that make sense?
    If he has a terrible morning sleep, then I'll stay home for the midday one that day. I find that at least one of the 2 big ones needs to be in his cot, and for the sake of sanity at bedtime, I try to make sure we're home for his afternoon nap, or at least in the car for a full hour (he generally sleeps there).