Thread: 5th birthday party

Default 5th birthday party

My daughters birthdays coming up and we are having a party, only trouble is DH has just lost his job and we are broke! I have put on the invitations that bring a plate would be appreciated although im not holding my breath so what are some fun, CHEAP food ideas for a party (we will be having a bbq lunch with some party food)

fairy bread
    cupcakes, homebrand packet mix is 75c
    fruit
    vegies & dip
    scones
    popcorn

Thats all I can think of at the moment

Mini hotdogs, dinner rolls with the little frankfurts in them? I agree on the fairy bread! So cheap! Chicken wings are cheap, cut them into the nibbly sizes and marinate them? Hmm all this food talk is making me kinda hungry!! I make a corn relish dip that works out fairly cost effective, container of sour cream & a jar of corn relish - i dont use the whole jar (i buy both homebrand works out about $2-$3) . Just mix them together & have biccies out!

Will pop back if i think of more

Definitely fairy bread and homebrand cupcakes.
    Buy popping corn and do your own (rather than buy the prepacked stuff) - it's cheap as! You can even add food colouring and dye it if you wanted to...
    Check out what fruit is selling cheaply and make fruit kebabs. Mini ones on toothpicks are cute for little kids.
    If bananas are cheap you can slice, dip in honey and roll in coconut - sooooo delish!
    A sausage sizzle if you're having a bbq is cheap. And garlic bread on the bbq is yummo too!
    HTH

I found sticking to 4 or so things makes it cheaper and easier too. If you are doing a BBQ perhaps just snags/bread. Agree with the fairy bread/cupcakes and then maybe some popcorn (do you have a popping machine or someone you can lend it from) as an activity even so making popcorn necklaces etc. Something out of puff pastry can be cheap as a savory too - so pinwheels with cheese/ham or just pesto. Squares with a few olives and some cheese?
    I think keep it simple as often there is way too much food at parties and often it gets left out and goes to waste.