Thread: Cooking for a crowd - need ideas

Default Cooking for a crowd - need ideas

I have about 9 people coming for dinner tonight. I need some ideas of what to cook. Need entre, main and dessert...

Entrees you can't go past antipasti... so easy and yum..

Bits of salami, olives, stuffed olives, sundried tomatoes, artichoke hearts etc etc on a platter with some cheese and either bread or crackers to tuck into.

Or something small? Wrap a piece of procuitto around a blanched stick of asparagus and pop it in the oven under the griller for less than 5 minutes yum!

Mains:
    Pasta is easy but just make something like fettucini (the fresh stuff is fantastic). In a fry pan toss some bacon, 1 onion and 2 cloves of garlic in some olive oil. Add something noice like salami, olives of both and herbs like basil and oregano. Splash some red wine in and a tin of tomatoes cook for 15-20 minutes or until the tomatoes are soft and guey... then toss through the fettucini and top with thinly slices parmesan.... yum...and easy to do last minute

Dessert:
    Well it is winter.... how about butterscotch pudding? or sticky date? Yummm or to stick with the Italian theme you could go for some tiramisu.

Or go with a theme.... mexican.... or asian etc etc....

Mexican Entre: nachos.... corn chips topped with some refried beans mixed with salsa and cheese, served with guacamole and sour cream
    Main: Tacos.... or enchiladas.... or fajitas
    Dessert: Flan or some churros (mexican doughnuts!)

Mushrooms Kilpatrick is a great entree... and its something that can be done in advance.

Fry some chopped bacon (about 6-8 LONG rashers - rind removed) and diced onion add some worchestishire sauce to taste, set aside in a air tight container in the fridge. Get 9 medium sized cup mushrooms (the big ones but not field size, safeway sells them in a pack of 9 or so). Remove the stems (and skin if you like) when you are ready for entree top each mushroom with a tablespoon of the mix, and a slice of brie cut in half (one round serves 9) then pop into a moderate oven (180) for about 10-15 minutes till the juices run and the cheese is melted. Then get 9 small plates or soup bowls. and put a handful of salad mix in each bowl (I spray with balsamic spritz, but you can dress however you like) then top the salad with a mushroom. Serve. EASY AS!

Main, you could do a pasta or rice dish, or even my greek potatoes (will try and search for the recipe) which can be made in advance and then fridged and reheated to serve. Bake some chicken breasts stuffed with whatever you like and serve along side the potatoes. You can either steam veg or serve with a garden salad.

And don't forget the slow cooker, you can make a HUGE batch of soup and serve with heated rolls as entree if the mushrooms aren't everyone's fancy.

Lasagne is another great dish, you can cook the mince the day before, then assemble the day of but not bake till that night.

Why not make a trifle for dessert, thats something that is just left in the fridge and can be served later on. Or make up a HUGE apple crumble and top with crumble (apple must be cooled though) leave in fridge till dinner is on the plates and as you serve the dinner pop it in the oven.

Soup is a pretty easy entree (or main for that matter), you can make that ahead of time and then just heat it up.

Risotto? If you have a massive pot that is. I say that because I always end up making enough for 5 when I'm trying to cook for 2 anyway.

How about apple or peach crumble for dessert? Oh, Cai said that. You can buy pie fruit from the supermarket. And if you serve it with custard or ice-cream you can make the crumble go further.

lol Nelle, I always make heaps too much risotto too.

Lasagne is a great choice, always a big hit. I always love a good rich wintery casserole, maybe lamb shanks with cannellini beans, tomato and capsicum? Or gravy beef with chickpeas and fresh coriander/ Serve it with heaps of mash and some steamed vegies.

Crumble is good as a dessert, or a big self saucing pudding of some sort?

Have fun!

Thanks girls! I've been feeling like curry so thought I would cook up green or red curry with rice for a main and serve with pappadums. I'm thinking I'll be daring and make a cheesecake for dessert (just hope it sets in time).

It doesn't really matter that they don't all match as it is just a group of girlfriends and we do this regularly.