Thread: Fudge type icing on mud cakes ....not ganache??

Default Fudge type icing on mud cakes ....not ganache??

A friend recently had a yummy mud cake at her 21st which her friends dad made, it has this delicious icing on it which is similiar to the icing on the cheesecake shops mudcakes. It was a real fudge type consistancy. Does anyone know what its called and how to make it. I am making my sisters 21st birthday cake and would love to use this icing.

I'm sure Rouge must know!

It could be either ganache icing or choc fudge icing.

This is the choc fudge icing recipe I use

<125gm unsweetened chocolate
    2 tbsp. butter
    1 lb. (4 c.) confectioners' sugar
    Dash of salt
    1/2 c. milk
    1 tsp. vanilla

Melt chocolate in butter over very low heat, stirring until smooth.
    Remove from heat.
    Combine sugar, salt, milk and vanilla.
    Add chocolate, blending well.
    If necessary, let stand until of spreading consistency, stirring occasionally.
    Spread quickly, adding a small amount of milk if frosting thickens.

Makes about 2 1/2 cups, enough for top and side of 2 (8" or 9") cakes.

I know it sounds random but could you taste icing sugar? Was it chewy? I know you say not ganache but every type of ganache is different. You can also make choc frosting and nuke it for a few seconds and mix and it will be runny enough to pour over cake. I've done this for hostess cupcakes and petit fours.

Fudge frosting can be made similar to condensed milk fudge. All you need is choc and condensed milk. It does set quickly so you need to pour onto the cake instantly.

It could have been whipped ganache which is ganache but fluffier cause once it sets a bit you use your beaters to whipp air into it. Its yummy. Why dont you call your friend and ask what her dad used?

The best way for me to give you a description of it, is it left your teeth marks in it when you bit into it, it was about 1cm thick, maybe a little less.

Mrs B26 - it was my friends, friends dad lol hope that doesnt confuse you, I dont assiciate with my friends friend.

Ok give the condensed milk one a go.

Just subscribing so I don't loose Limes recipe nom nom nom

Rouge - what ratio is the condensed milk icing, and can it be piped (as in piped swirls on cupcakes)
    Thanks so much for your help

I'm not sure it would be easy to pipe it's a recipe that is spread hot like ganache. If you are after a piped recipe I am pretty sure I know the one and it involves mars bars melted into a choc icing and it sets thick and has that chewy fudge consistency.

If you google condensed milk fudge icing the ehow recipe is the one I know. I would copy and paste but can't from my phone.

ROUGE ........ please stop ......... my bum is getting fatter just reading your posts

lol - just subscribing for the awesome recipes and suggestions - not that my big butt will thank me in ANY way!

Thanks off to google now

Salad; how did you go with the icing? I was initially going to suggest ganache, but thought I'd wait for Rouge, she always has such good ideas!

hey netix - well i ended up having to get a cake from the cheesecake shop, they did some nice decorations on it for me then I added some personal touches. We were on flood watch and I couldnt go anywhere, so everything would have been last minute, and difficult with two little ones. It was a beautiful cake.

Ganache would have been perfect - just need to find the right chocolate etc.