Thread: Game/food ideas for train theme 3rd b'day party

Question Game/food ideas for train theme 3rd b'day party

We are having a Thomas Tank theme party for DS1. I'm making him a Thomas cake and I have some ideas on party food (cupcakes, choc crackles etc plus some healthier options).

Anyway, we have 13 kids coming, girls and boys aged 3-5 with a couple of 2yos and a couple of 1 yo tots.

Other than "pass the parcel", I'm stumped for ideas on how to keep them entertained. The party will go approx 2 hours.

Any ideas - particularly if they are train or Thomas-related - would be greatfully appreciated

Download some Thomas music for musical chairs.
    Pin the whistle on the train.

A treasure hunt of train things with the older kids helping the little kids.
    The conductor says instead of Simon says.

Maybe use paper plates to make Thomas? You could have all the parts for the face cut out already and the kids colour the plate then make the face on it?

2 hours really isn't a long time. I found at DD's 3rd birthday the kids were happy with the one planned activity (which took them all of 15 minutes) and then they just wanted to play with DD's things :-)

Great ideas - thanks everyone.

Alicia, love the paper plate idea, but I got a bargain buy a few weeks ago when I found Thomas paper plates reduced by nearly 75% - woo hoo. So I stocked up on a few packs

Can you find a Thomas Pinata? We always use Pinata's at parties for kids to fill their lolly bags with. I usually put a balloon & sheet of stickers in each bag & then the kids get their bags with no lollies & when the pinata busts, they scramble to fill their bags. I struggle with party games as my eldest just doesn't participate in them. Even at her own birthday she goes awfully shy, so this is has become a 'game' at our parties & it fills the lolly bags at the same time!

Oh & the pinatas with the string are really great as well, because I just get everybody to hold a string & they all pull together. That way ALL the kids think they have won!

Cheers Jayne. Yes, I did find a Thomas Pinata, but at $25 I kept thinking it was money I could spend on party food, so I didn't buy it LOL. I also figured I have a few birthdays coming up where a pinata would be a big hit with him and his guests. Good idea though - thanks.