Thread: Help I need light lunch ideas minus the cooking for after a christening in a park

Default Help I need light lunch ideas minus the cooking for after a christening in a park

Ok so we are going straight from the christening to the park will have a bbq but don't want to do a big BBQ just a light lunch with some savoury snacks no cooking needed.

We will do a sausage sizzle but what else???

I am usuall good at this but we are doing it on a budget now!

I should add I will cook day before but not on the day ideas LMAO I am soo not thinking right now I am in panic mode!

Last edited by Miss K; June 13th, 2011 at 09:19 PM.

I like to bake zucchini slice, but in round based patty pans to make little flying saucers...so yummy cold dipped in sweet chilli sauce, mmm

ooh can I have the recipe please?

I'll have to dig around and find it, will post it by tomorrow night!

In luck - found it!

Ingredients:
    375g zucchini, grated
    1 onion, chopped
    3 rashers bacon, chopped (or 150-200g bacon pieces)
    1 cup grated cheese
    1 cup self raising flour
    1/2 cup oil
    5 eggs

Mix ingredients together. Place spoonfuls into lightly greased round based patty pans (or mini muffin trays). Cook in 180 degree oven for 16 mins or until golden brown. If using round based patty pans, turn once during cooking.

Can be served hot or cold, yummy when dipped in sweet chilli sauce.

If you want to make a big slice, then cut into pieces, it takes about 40 mins to bake.

You are awesome thankyou soo much

chicken & rocket wraps? cook some chicken breast up, when cool chop and mix with a little mayo. Spread the wrap with the chicken mixture, maybe with a little pesto, add some rocket & roll wrap in baking paper and twist up the ends to seal, cut in half.

Rice paper rolls
    Little gourmet rolls (little dinner rolls with yummy fillings) or sliced baguette rounds with toppings
    Cold marinated chicken wings
    Cold chicken and salads
    Cheese platter
    Fruit platter
    Dips with biscuits and sliced veges

If it's going to be cold maybe a big pot of soup and crusty bread rolls (you could heat the soup on the BBQ?) served in cups.?

Friends did hot dogs at the park , they had a portable/camping gas cooker to boil the water and awesome toppings like cheese, onion, mustard, sauce etc and yummy crusty rolls. They had mini dogs and rolls for the kids.

We do vegetable sushi - you can easily make in the day before (in fact it is better if you do), it doesn't cost much and makes heaps. It's a great finger food so you don't need any cutlery.

Mini quiche - use a muffin tray or mini muffin tray with puff pastry cut out with a biscuit cutter and use any filling you like. Also a finger food and serves well cold so you can definitely make it ahead of time.

Mini subs - Buy bake at home bread rolls and put different fillings in them. Egg salad always goes down well as does chicken salad or deli meat, relish and cheese. For the kids, we sometimes do cherios (I don't know what they are called in other states but the mini ****tail sausages) in the bake at home bread rolls because they look like mini hot dogs and the kids love them. If you want to stretch the sandwiches further, you can cut them in half on an angle once they are made up and they still look fancy but go heaps further.

Kazbah they sound yummy! They also are easy so will def make some

Amaunet I was thinking of a soup but thought might be hard to heat but our bbq has a thing to heat it on so great idea!

Just Me Mini quiche are my fav why didn't i think of doing them that way ? I might make some up this weekend as a test batch!

You ladies are giving me some wonderful ideas keep them coming!