Thread: how to make this work

Default how to make this work

I'll preface by saying i'm trying to make Christmas lunch more "festive" as my extended family (who are hosting) are notoriously slack at making things spesh - and i want to Christmas-ify a rather boring dessert (appearance wise) - but i have zero artistic talent!

so, my thought - everyone loves chocolate ripple cake - they devour it when i flavour the cream with a bit of peppermint essence (step one to christmas-ify it) - but really, white cream is boring, so i want to make it more festive color wise. so i was thinking red and green cream, some broken candy canes, and some gold and silver sprinkles

BUT, i don't know how to go about getting the colored cream to work together!! i was thinking of maybe trying to be a little more "precise" when putting it together and having some of the cream between the bikkies red, then cover with green, put a red piped border on the plate, sprinkle with gold and silver and then candy canes

will it work? or will the green and red (well, pale green and pink really) meld together and make an ugly smoosh pile? could i just flavour one color mint and leave the other plain so it doesn't overwhelm? and given we appear to have misplaced our piping bag with the fancy ends (that we haven't even used yet) when we moved, is here another way i can pipe something fairly simple or should i just suck it up and buy one tomorrow?

any suggestions??

I know someone who used chocolate mixed into the cream to make a brown log then decorated it. Looked great. I think she googled kingston cream to get the idea.

I would put icing sugar in the cream for the outside and pipe it on the outside (after a thin layer of white) using a zip log back and make big long piped lines in green and red so it looks like a huge candycane. Then you could dust with icing sugar or cachous. Or you could make a yule log by melting some choc and mixing with the cream (when cooled) like you would to mousse and covering the ripple cake and scoring with a skewer to look like wood and then dust with icing sugar. Decorate the plate/board with some broken candy canes.

Ditto Rivlas

I made a choc ripple cake last year and made it into the shape of a Christmas tree - it's really not that hard! I then grated a peppermint crisp over the top and it looked great.

Quote Originally Posted by Rouge View Post
    I would put icing sugar in the cream for the outside and pipe it on the outside (after a thin layer of white) using a zip log back and make big long piped lines in green and red so it looks like a huge candycane. Then you could dust with icing sugar or cachous. Or you could make a yule log by melting some choc and mixing with the cream (when cooled) like you would to mousse and covering the ripple cake and scoring with a skewer to look like wood and then dust with icing sugar. Decorate the plate/board with some broken candy canes.

Ditto Rivlas
    ooh, i like the candy cane idea! gonna have to find me a piping bag tomorrow i think (migth actually pop down the street tonight - i loathe the idea of shopping on Christmas Eve

Quote Originally Posted by briggsy's girl View Post
    ooh, i like the candy cane idea! gonna have to find me a piping bag tomorrow i think (migth actually pop down the street tonight - i loathe the idea of shopping on Christmas Eve
    If you have a coles near you they have a piping bag with nozzels for a couple of dollars