Thread: MANLY Poker night fingersnack Ideas

Talking MANLY Poker night fingersnack Ideas

DH is having his first guys-only poker night on Saturday and I (the loving little housewife) offered to make them some snacks for dinner.

So this is what I have so far:

Mini Meatballs kababs
    Deep-fried cheesegrillers in batter

and that is it ...

any other ideas for MANLY snacks that is not TOO fattening, but not TOO healthy, kwim??

Wow your lovely .... we're lucky to get a bag of chips thrown at us when we have poker at a mates place ...LOL

Jaysus - what's your definition of not too fattening with DF cheesethingys on the menu? lol!

Mini pizzas are good. You can cut them into fingers, load them with all the good stuff and half the amount of cheese - so healthy without being too greasy. Can't get them cards all yucky!

Lulu!! I know ... but that was a request from the "boss" That's the only thing I'll deepfry ... that and their slongs if they smoke in my house !!!!!

LaDeeDa - I was thinking bag of crips and dip, but they need something a bit more filling ... usualy DH throws BBQ nights for the guys, but they need to "play poker, not BBQ all night". This fingersnaks is actually better, I'm not seeing myself making potato salad, bbq snackwitches and dessert - again

Like the mini pizza idea's

Don't do it TOO well though - they will expect it everytime

Noooo sister ... those men have better-halves too. Next time, next oke's place

But then again, would LOVE to be THAT wife in the group that does all the effort, you know. They want to come back for more of my litte low-fat-healthy deepfry cheesethingys

Pigs in Blankets... baby hot dogs (we call em lil' boys here) or chipolata sausages wrapped in a square (on an angle as you would with a hotdog in bread) of puff pastry baked in the oven.

Cheese, Bacon & Chilli Potato Skins - Bake some pototo halves (I par boil the halved potatoes with skin on first then scoop out most of the potato) sprayed or brushed with olive oil, then top with fried bacon, cheese and if they like chopped jalapeno's) and put back in the oven to cook till all melty. I serve these with sour cream and spring onions.

Mini Burgers - Rissoles flattened to cook as burgers, then put on a small dinner roll with a slice of tomato and a piece of cheese, mayo and tom sauce. Very cute and they are yummy too!

Cobb Dip, Chilli Dip, Mexican Dip...

Arancini Balls - Cold risotto rolled into balls, crumbed and fried (you can put a tiny cube of mozza in the middle).

Salt & Pepper Squid...

Most of this can be done ahead, and then just need to be quickly reheated in the oven so you're not constantly on your feet!
    Last edited by Rouge; July 6th, 2009 at 05:27 PM.

Thanks for all those fab ideas Cai ...

Love that they can all be reheated, because I'm not going to be there Me and the kids are staying at my mother's for the night, don't want a bunch of rowdy boys keeping my babies (or me) from my beauty sleep

Quote Originally Posted by Niliac View Post
    Pigs in Blankets... baby hot dogs (we call em lil' boys here) or chipolata sausages wrapped in a square (on an angle as you would with a hotdog in bread) of puff pastry baked in the oven.

Cheese, Bacon & Chilli Potato Skins - Bake some pototo halves (I par boil the halved potatoes with skin on first then scoop out most of the potato) sprayed or brushed with olive oil, then top with fried bacon, cheese and if they like chopped jalapeno's) and put back in the oven to cook till all melty. I serve these with sour cream and spring onions.

Mini Burgers - Rissoles flattened to cook as burgers, then put on a small dinner roll with a slice of tomato and a piece of cheese, mayo and tom sauce. Very cute and they are yummy too!

Cobb Dip, Chilli Dip, Mexican Dip...

Arancini Balls - Cold risotto rolled into balls, crumbed and fried (you can put a tiny cube of mozza in the middle).

Salt & Pepper Squid...

Most of this can be done ahead, and then just need to be quickly reheated in the oven so you're not constantly on your feet!
    Damn Cai!!!!
    The minute I lose this gall bladder I'm gonna beo n your doorstep chick!!!!

I was going to suggest Puffy Dog's...they are Cailin's "pigs in blankets" but you can buy them ready-made in the freezer dept. .

*screws nose up* I tried the puffy dogs once (the pre-made ones) and they were icky... didn't puff well and way too crunchy! The home made ones are REALLY easy to do, and you get about double to triple for the same price!

LOL Dee anytime hon anytime!

I make boys night food fairly regulary, as DH has his shed, and he gathers with a friend or two to watch the footy, and I am so happy, b/c I can surf BB in peace

A big hit, is Muffin Pizza's, buy the no-name muffins, spread them with tom paste, then top them with cut up stras, or bacon bits, cheese, capsicum etc, you can pre cook em - wrap them in foil, and after a few beers, they will eat them at room temp

I always have a bag of Nacho's, pour the sauce on it, then the grated cheese, and put in the microwave, the nacho's stay crunchy, beleive it or not

Home made sausage rolls are easy, hot dogs in rolls

Last time I made a big pot of curried sausages, and the guys said it was better than a curry he had had in India

Thanks for all the ideas and tips. Here are my menu for the guys:

Mini meatballs on sticks
    Those cheesegriller thingys
    Mini Pizza's
    Mini Samoosas
    Chips and Dip
    Arancini Balls (I just HAVE to try this)

Are springrolls easy to make?? I think I'm lacking some veggies somewhere