Thread: Need a Super easy dinner for 20.

Default Need a Super easy dinner for 20.

Here is my scenario: I have to host a pre wedding dinner for about 20 family, mostly from interstate, who are coming up for a family wedding. There will be 1 person gluten free and 1 vegetarian (I think). It is in two weeks time so it will be a warm night probably.

Normally, I'd do this no worries, but morning sickness is in full swing and so my idea of preparing food is pouring my own milk on the weetbix. No one knows yet about the pregnancy.

So, what I can do that is super easy but doesn't involve too much pre-prepared food as I'm not a fan of bought salads etc. I have had one offer to bring a salad but that's all the help available.

I was thinking red rooster chickens and maybe some super easy salad and bread. Does that sound all right?

Family style pasta night.
    All in the middle of the table a couple of different pastas and three sauces, salad and bread, plenty of wine

a BBQ???

we just got cooed chooks from safeway, a try of lamb from the local greek shop and made heaps of salads! severed 50! and spuds in jackets on the bbq

Tacos are sooooo easy . The vegetarian can have a salad (maybe get a wrap for them, or buy a mix of hard and soft tacos) and the rest is history.

Everyone has fun making their own tacos, and it is a very social food. You can fry up some mince and some chicken the day before, buy grated cheese, shred your own lettuce, dice tomato, all very easy. Want a hand to prepare the day before? So long as I can bring DD1 to run around my heels, I'm only too happy to dice tomato and shred lettuce... (or whatever it is you end up making).

Indian!

Easy to cook, easy to make veg and most is gluten free (as long as you buy the spices yourself...not all the jar mixes are, but I was looking for my Mum recently, and there are a lot of gluten free jar mixes...just check carefully).

the bbq chickens will prob not be gluten free... as they will have stuffing etc in them and possibly some sort of wheat based seasoning on the outside.
    can you ask someone else to host it for you? - would make your life a lot easier atm! or ask the gluten free person and vegetarian people to bring something that they can eat.. thats what I usually do being a coeliac as its just easier as I know what Im eating! I guess a bit hard if they are all from interstate though.
    cant really think of anything quick and easy in terms of savouries..
    these days local butchers will do up a roast lamb for you.. but again, you would need to check they can do it GF.
    or can you borrow a webber and chuck a lamb in it - then just have rolls and salads?
    or a bbq like someone suggested and make salad and just chuck cut up potatoes and onions and corncobs etc on the bbq.
    the tacos sound like a good idea that can be done for both gluten free and vegetarian.
    but an easy dessert idea that comes to mind (gluten free) is meringues with whipped cream and fruit on top, just buy mixed berries and get people to top the meringues themselves (youd need to make sure you buy the GF meringues though, most are I think)..

Big joint of lamb/beef/ pork/ chicken in the oven or bbq, nice crussty rolls, salad & baked potatos (maybe some grated cheese & sour cream to top) and gravy..... nice and easy, just have to cook it, I am sure someone else will be there to carve the meat and it is easy to just self serve. For dessery I would just do fruit salad and icecream!

Thanks for all your suggestions! (Though some of you are obviously more "high functioning" than I am, when I have morning sickness!)

I hadn't thought of the chicken having gluten - I will have to check with that guest if she will eat them (she's not coeliac, just intolerant, so doesn't have to be 100% GF).

And I like the idea of tacos.

Merigues for dessert sound good. Thanks everybody.