Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: oh crap - might have biten off more than I can chew ...

Unhappy oh crap - might have biten off more than I can chew ...

Ok me and all my bright ideas decided to buy a 3D cake tin to make DD birthday cake. It's the Wilton Rubber Ducky one and I am seriously praying someone here has used it or similar.

The instructions are as clear as mud

The cake mixture, from what I think I understand, is poured into half the tin, then you snap and tie the two sides together to prevent separation, THEN I think the cake is meant to rise into the second setion of cake tin which forms the other side of the duck ........ IS THAT RIGHT?

A problem I forsee is the ONLY cake I know how to make is a mud cake, they don't rise as much as would need to fill the second half of the cake tin.

It has to be a heavy cake, there is a SMALL vent hole approx 7mm in diameter I cannot even see how I can feed mixture through this hole for my mud cake.

I could do the two sides separately but then HOW do I stick them together so they stay together?

PLEASE HELP ME

Nae x x

ANYONE????

could you make the 2 sides separately & then stick them together with jam or icing or cream before icing the cake?

That's how I'd think it works. The cake rises into the other half of the tin. Just like you thought.

Or even skewers or something if the icing or jam doesn't join the halves well enough on its own.

Sorry I'm not much help.

Thanks ladies, I think thats how it will have to be ........ unless I buy a really small piping tip and slowly pipe the cake mixture into the joined pans allowing enough room for some rising ??
    I think I am going to have to make a trial cake ....... just dunno who I can give it too to eat maybe hubby can take it to work ?

Or you could practice making a butter cake?

Quote Originally Posted by NaeNae View Post

The cake mixture, from what I think I understand, is poured into half the tin, then you snap and tie the two sides together to prevent separation, THEN I think the cake is meant to rise into the second setion of cake tin which forms the other side of the duck ........ IS THAT RIGHT?
    i just looked it up on their website & that's how i read the instructions - pour the batter into the half of the tin without the hole & then put them together. it did say that the half would be full that it was almost overflowing.

if you're worried about the cake - what about getting a cake mix from a cake store? then you could double check with them that it's the right sort of batter/mix for the tin? otherwise a butter cake or pound cake should work well

it looks awesome btw. now i want to buy one!!! you'll have to post pics when it's done

Yeah, I'd try a trial run with a butter cake. You can get those cheap cake mixes for like 70c or something.
    They taste quite good too. Lol.

Good luck.

I would do a practice cake with your mud mix and do as they say. If you do the two sides separately, you would have to freeze the cake for 20 minutes and then shave the sides that would touch in order to get a neat edge. The use a royal icing or a hard/strong buttercream icing to hold together, pop into the fridge for an hour or so to set the icing before continuing. You could use bamboo skewers as well jic.

Goodluck!

Thanks so much, I think I will have a go at a buttercake or pound cake and see what happens the actual cake is not very big, are these cakes usually good risers? which is a nicer tasting cake?

thanks so much ladies, I knew I could count on people in here to help

Nae x x

id go with a butter cake out of the 2 for taste. good luck. if you end up using skewers, use the larger ones, some cake sites recomend toothpicks, but they are very easy to forget and swallow, count how many go in and on cutting the cake, make sure they are all accounted for!

Thanks Christy x x

maybe I could do a round mud cake for the ducky to sit on just to make it bigger

I have check a bunch of recipes that I was given and found a butter cream cake in amongst them, this lady is also the one who gave me the mud recipe that everyone always raves about so I might give it a bash ... the cake instructions says it takes 5 1/2 cups of batter so I might do a double quantity and see what happens

so looks like this sunday I will be baking unless I feel super enthusiastic before then LOL ....... any ideas how to ensure I get a moist cake? should I substitute a bit of butter for a bit of veg oil?

Nae x

butter cake would work well - and you can always do a little marbling (just put some of the batter aside, mix in some coco, then pour it in the pan and do a few swirls with a skewer).

or the mudcake, held together with toothpicks or skewers, depending on size and weight of the cake.

GL!!

I don't have any advice but I wanted to say good luck.

Ok ladies, below is a link to my FB page, this is the idea we were going for .... will be a bit different but you get the general jist

CAKE HERE

Alrighty ...........

I have my first attempt at a buttercake AND my first attempt of the ducky cake in the oven .......... wish me luck :-))

good luck! am looking forward to seeing pics....

Good luck!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast