Thread: Macaroni and Cheese receipe please

Default Macaroni and Cheese receipe please

obviously

macaroni, cheese and butter but what else do you need to add?

is it milk? sour cream?

what tastes best?

I usually make a basic roux base, so butter and flour then add milk slowly stirring and then add cheese. I also steam up whatever vegies I have until soft and mash that through. HtH!

You need to make a white cheese sauce;

Equal amounts of butter and plain flour. (About 4 Tablespoons of each)
    Melt butter, add flour, cook for a couple of minutes.
    Add milk, a little at a time and stir after each addition until it thickens. If you add too much milk too soon it will go lumpy and it's hard to get the lumps out. When it is a nice smooth creamy consistency, add grated cheese, a always put tasty and parmesan.
    You stir this sauce through COOKED pasta.
    If you like you can fry off some onion and or bacon and add that.
    I sometimes add peas and corn to the mix.

Put in a baking dish, sprinkle with either just cheese, or breadcrumbs mixed with a little butter.

I am sure if you look on taste . com they'll have a recipe with exact quantities. Sorry i don't have them, i kind of make it up as i go along!

really basic mac and cheese

as you said the pasta. Then for the sauce, equal parts plain flour and butter to make a roux. Then add milk, stir until it starts to thicken. Take off heat and add cheese. Too much cheese will split it, so add to taste. I normally add that to pasta, more cheese on top and bake for half hour. Salt and pepper if need be.

I do a three cheese one, and the mix all depends on what I have in the fridge
    I normally also add bacon or chicken, some frozen veg if I want some colour. I also put in garlic etc to flavour it up a little. Well thats if I can be bothered. Mac and cheese is my easy meal, when I cant be bothered making something else! ;p

I've also taken to using my muffin tray to bake them. The muffin holes are perfect for the little hands and they look so cute on the plate next to a salad or vegies.

Hope that helps

There is a recipe on here somewhere for a mac n cheese in the slow cooker - mmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I'll try and find it

HERE it is

YUM I read this thread and now we're having mac n cheese for tea...mmmm!

I do
    2 cups uncooked pasta (then cook it - retaining 2 cups of the pasta water at the end)

Heat/melt 3 tablespoons butter and 3 tablespoons flour. Add slowly one cup milk, and then the 2 cups pasta water.

Then add approx 3/4 cup grated cheese and salt and pepper to taste then the cooked pasta.

You can eat it like this, but i much prefer to bake it in the oven sprinkled with breadcrumbs and a little grated cheese.

I made 4 tblsp butter, 1 1/2 cups milk, 4 tblsp flour. for the sauce

a heap of grated tasty and parmesen cheese

in the oven and sprinkled with both cheese again....

and its so yummy we are eating it now.... (ds was starving anyway as hes been sick and didnt eat at preschool today)

He said thanks mum delicious! I said say thank you for the receipe BB ladies, and he copied me ...so cute !!! and Yum..... with crispy bacon......

some really good iedas here i want some now

still on the teaching contract roundabout

my usual version of mac & cheese - a 500g pack of pasta (cooked about 10min) stir through a can of tomato soup and about 250g grated cheese. Put into an oven proof dish and cook for about 1/2hr in oven at about 180deg. Usually I try to sprinkle a bit of grated cheese on the top (but not if I've ended up using frozen cheese - doesn't work as well).

I've also been known to cook it with a cheese sauce instead of the tom soup and cheese combo. - Make cheese sauce starting with a white sauce base (I think it's like some of the rouax ?sp listed above) and add lots and lots of cheese. and then in the oven for 1/2hr again.

Mac & cheese is one of my comfort foods My mum used to make 2 packs of pasta to a large tin of tom soup (Heinz brand is best) and about 500g of grated cheese - this was for 7 - 5 kids and mum & dad - with not much (if any) leftover.