Thread: 'Real' Tomato Pasta sauce?

Default 'Real' Tomato Pasta sauce?

Does anyone have a recipe for making pasta sauce with real tomatoes? Have a heap that need to be used but the only recipes I can find use tinned tomatoes. I remember Jamie Oliver making a basic pasta sauce with tomatoes, garlic and basil, but I can't find it and don't remember if he actually used real tomatoes or tinned.
    Can I use the same recipes that use tinned ones and just substitute real tomatoes (can it be that simple? )

I much prefer the flavour of real tomatoes and replace them for tinned all the time. I find about 3-5 tomatoes wizzed in the blender seems to roughly equal one can of pureed tomotoes

Saute some onion and garlic in a pan, in olive oil
    Add 4 or 5 fresh chopped tomatoes (skin off)
    pop it in a blender until smooth
    Back on a low heat, add a pinch of sugar and some basil

mmmmmmmmm

You can roast the tomatoes for a while in a low oven & it makes them sweeter and then use as you would tinned, might need to add more liquid though.

Quote Originally Posted by Traveller View Post
    Saute some onion and garlic in a pan, in olive oil
    Add 4 or 5 fresh chopped tomatoes (skin off)
    pop it in a blender until smooth
    Back on a low heat, add a pinch of sugar and some basil

mmmmmmmmm
    I made this last night Trav,without the sugar but iT WAS SO yummy and fresh, DD loved it

so quick to make too. If you add a chilli (or two), a capsicum and maybe even some tabasco sauce, and blend until still lumpy, you have a delicious salsa. And you can add some veg stock to make it more saucy too. I use this basic recipe all the time

thanks for that! Made it last night, only I used about 10 tomatoes (was so sick of chopping them by the end!) and am going to use the leftover to add mince to tonight and make lasagne with it. I usually just use jars of pasta sauce but thought I better use the lovely fresh tomatoes instead!