thread: Risotto

Mar 2004
    Sparta

Risotto

I feel like I'm the only person in my family who can't make yummy risotto (or spell delishious) . Please help me by sharing your recipies and giving me some tips and hints.
    My cousing makes a really, really yummy one with lemon and prawn does anyone have a recipe for something similar.

And the truth is we don't know anything
    Follow Pandora On Twitter

Jan 2005
    cowtown

I only have a mushroom risotto, and a pumpkin and pea risotto recipe. I will dig them up.

The thing I find the most important is to use arborio rice, and to make sure that all the rice grains are coated in oil (or butter, or whatever you are using), as this will help them stay seperate and not go gluggy.
    Last edited by Pandora; June 19th, 2007 at 03:16 PM.

Life Member

May 2003
    Beautiful Adelaide!

Stir stir stir stir stir.......

That is my only tip.........

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2006
    Melbourne

I make risotto all the time, albeit it might not be the most fantastic one!
    In general the basis of my risottos are onion and garlic cooked in a little bit of oil and butter, when soft add the rice and cook until coated and sort of toasted. You then add a bit of wine, stock or water to demi glaze the rice. Keep adding HOT stock and when it is about half cooked, I add the ingredients such as mushroom, vegies etc.... If you are adding meat, chicken etc.... brown this first and then add. Keep adding as much HOT stock as you need until the rice is cooked but not too wet or dry. At the end of the cooking process I usually add a generous amount of parmesan cheese and butter so it is creamy. Stefano Di Pieri (Mildura restaurant owner/chef) says to add two egg yolks rather than butter, but I haven't tried this.
    Good luck!

Oct 2005
    A Nestle Free Zone... What about YOU?

Cheesy Tomato Risotto

Ingredients:
    2 tablespoons of olive oil
    2 chopped onions
    2 cubed carrots
    2 cubed zucchinis
    360g of arborio rice
    900 mls of stock
    2 x 400g of canned diced tomatoes
    100g of grated cheddar cheese
    100g of grated parmesan cheese

Method:
     Fry onion, carrot, zucchini in the butter until soft.
     Add the rice and stir until the grains of rice are coated.
     Add the stock and the tomatoes and bring to the boil.
     Reduce the heat and cook covered for 15 minutes
     Stir through the cheeses and serve immediately.

This one is really easy and my kids love it! I have a nice pumpkin and chicken one that I will copy for you... This one I already had on my computer.
    As Lucy said make sure you stir!

ETA: This makes enough for a family of 6!

Life Member

May 2003
    Beautiful Adelaide!

I want risotto now...........shame we hare having a roast tonight instead........I just fancy some rib sticking warming creamy rissoto!

BellyBelly Member

Jul 2005
    Vic

If you dont mind cheating, there is a good risotto recipie on that ninemsn recipie search. its quick as its all done in the microwave. Its a chicken one, but ive also done it just vego and its yummo! If you type microwave risotto into their search area it will come up. Its worth a try as its a good quick meal.

I know its a lazy way, but its great for those of us that cant cook very well! haha

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

Hahahahah we're having risotto tonight...

If you want a creamy risotto stir stir stir as Lucy says, if you want a clear risotto only stir every so often and make sure you do it in a non stick pan.

My basic recipe is:

1 onion or leek finely chopped (fry up with garlic) then cook the rice (this is the most important step) cook the rice in the oily onion mixture until rice is translucent (or pretty much translucent). Make sure your stock is hot as you add it, I tend to fry up chicken/pancetta etc first and then cook the onions etc in it so it absorbs the flavour (and put the cooked meats to the side), then add a splash of white wine and let that reduce for a few minutes, then slowly add stock (I normally do a ladel at a time). Depending on the type of risotto you want will depend on how frequently you stir it. Keep adding then when you're about 3/4 way through you're stock (I normally do 6-8 cups to 2 cups of rice) add your vegetables like frozen peas, fresh asparagus, mushrooms etc. Then when only 1 cup is left I add a few drops of truffle oil for good measure. And if I'm feeling decadent I'll add either a few tablespoons of cream or some brie/havarti or other soft cheese at the end and stir through. Another tip is once you've absorbed as much liquid as possible let the risotto rest with a lid on for about 5-10 minutes and it will absorb even more and come out less liquidy. I even cheat some days and make the base of the risotto up to 3/4 of stock then reheat at dinner time add cooked meats/vegies and the remainder of the stock.

You can play with flavours, like chili, seafood, chorizo, duck, lemon etc (not all together obviously LOL). I also have a really good baked risotto by donna hay if you like.

Risotto is part of our staple diet LOL!

ETA: Forgot to add if you don't want to add cream or cheese add a few teaspoons of butter at the end and stir through, this also makes for a decadent risotto. And milaniese risotto is the simplest and tastiest base risotto which you can add anything too! And if you want to be extra decadent buy italian riotto rice from a deli (its often bigger than the stuff from the store) tiny beads of heavenly goodness I assure you!

*hugs*
    Cailin
    Last edited by Rouge; June 19th, 2007 at 04:30 PM.

BellyBelly Member

Mar 2006

I got this receipe from the Taste Website...

Prawn and Lemon Risotto

Ingredients (serves 4)
    225g sugar snap peas
    120g zucchini, thickly sliced
    2 tbs olive oil
    1 onion, finely chopped
    1/2 tsp saffron threads
    250g arborio rice
    1 garlic clove, crushed
    225g button mushrooms, sliced
    Juice and grated rind of 1 lemon
    3 cups (750ml) fish or vegetable stock
    300g cooked prawns, peeled, tails intact
    3 tbs chopped flat-leaf parsley
    Method
    Blanch sugar snap peas and zucchini in boiling water for 1 minute, then drain, refresh under cold water and drain again. Set aside.
    Heat oil in a large frypan, add onion and saffron, and cook over low heat for 2-3 minutes or until onion is softened but not coloured. Add the rice, garlic and mushrooms and cook, stirring, for 2 minutes. Add lemon rind and a third of the stock and simmer, stirring occasionally, until most of the liquid is absorbed. Repeat twice by separately adding the remaining thirds of stock.
    Add prawns, blanched vegetables and lemon juice, and cook for 1-2 minutes or until heated through. Stir in parsley and season. (If you?re feeling naughty, add a spoon of butter).
    Source
    delicious. - October 2003 , Page 78

Jan 2005
    cowtown

ooh come on Cailin! Give me the baked risotto recipe!!!!

BellyBelly Member

Aug 2006
    Perth, WA

Ohhhh...I love risotto...mmmm...

My tips...

• stir stir stir stir!
    • use stock that is in a saucepan that is warming on the stove
    • at the very end, add some butter, cream or cheese (or a combo of 2 or 3)...put a lid on the risotto and just let it sit for for a bit
    • and my most favourite tip....USE TRUFFLE OIL at the very end...just a tiny amount...but it is so so beautiful! It's expensive (ie. $30) but it lasts ages...and is also fantastic on home made pizza and roasts...

Amelia Guest

This is a real stupid question but what is truffle oil??

BellyBelly Member

Aug 2006
    Perth, WA

Not a stupid question at all...

It's one of those speciality types of olive oil...and it has a little shaving of a truffle (the ones that grow in the ground...cost huge amounts...and are dug up by pigs!)...

I love it...it's hard to describe the flavour though...it's not subtle...that's why you only use a slight amount...it may not be everyone's taste...but certainly when we have served it up with dinner, people have loved it.

and oh...it's addictive too!

BellyBelly Member

Feb 2007

Where do you buy it in Perth please Monnie?

BellyBelly Member

Aug 2006
    Perth, WA

I get mine from Mondo's butcher in Inglewood...

But I think you can also get in at Simon Johnson's in Subi.

The best brand (by far) is called "Terrabianca - Olio aromatico al tartufo"

It's only a small bottle...tall and thin...but it lasts for ages...you literally only put a few drops on for each serving...

Probably best ringing either of those places just to check that they have it in stock...

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

Well our risotto was delish

It had 2 chicken breasts lightly season browned whole then chopped and re-browned (I find breast chopped doesn't brown to my liking), 1 cup of mushrooms, 1/4 cup dried porcini finely chopped and rehydrated in boiling water (I add the mushroom stock to the chicken stock, which I also add a cube of mushroom stock to for extra flavour). Frozen peas, onion, garlic, truffle oil, and about 3 tablespoons of cream at the end. I let it rest for 10 minutes and OMG it was divine!!!!!

Ray I promise I'll post the recipe tomorrow, I'm in my office and its cooooold!

Monnie, truffle oil is the best hey Goes great in scrambled eggs too *mmmmmm* And if you want to be a bit cheaper, you can get the truffle infused olive oil which goes a lot longer than the smaller bottle. I normally get that in black truffle and the concentrated stuff in white truffle.

*hugs*
    Cailin

Jan 2005
    cowtown

Cailin, where do you get the truffle oil from in Melb?

Administrator
    Add Rouge on Facebook

Jun 2003
    Ubiquity

I got mine from my local deli at knox, but you can get it at most deli's. I know Vic Market sells it, as well as Essential Ingredient. Just ring a few of your locals and see if they stock it to save you from running around

I promise I'll post that recipe too

I just had leftovers for lunch mmmmm!

*hugs*
    Cailin