Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456

Thread: Any horse owners?

Default Re: Any horse owners?

The old horses know how to handle themselves!
    I wouldn't put myself on the end of a leadrope in an intro, unless there was a sturdy fence in between. If the horse is going into the paddock it won't be with me attached! My young fella just got tossed in and was more beaten up by the shettie and pony mare than the bigger horses, and he takes his cues from the bigger horses, who only have to look at him and he knows his place.
    I've seen far more damage in separately yarded horses than I ever saw in horses running together. New horses were introduced regularly enough to the herd horses where I agisted for 10 years and they weren't the fence casualties.
    I think you'll have to suck it and see. And leadropes aren't long enough to keep you away from a strike, IMHO. I'd not put my body near either of them - most likely it will be fine, anyway.

Still battling the itch. Olive oil is working but it clears up one spot and pops out in another. I bought him new rugs to wear but he is contantly rolling and rubbing and that I took them back off again for now. Theu fit him well but kept sliding.

I would be inclined to just put them in together. We did that when we bought our shetland home. Just let him go. Big horse was about 150 meters away and they just started running around together and would stop for a sniff and then off again. 10 minutes later the were grazing.

The only time I have seen an intro go wrong was when it was done in wooden yards. Resulted in both horse been put down . Was not good at all. Good luck with it hun, I understand your worry.

I have been meaning to reply here for a while.
    I am officially horse mad. I have been riding and owning and messing about with horses for about 40 years!
    Until last week we had three horses but sadly my 26 yo Pure Arabian mare had to be laid to rest as she'd gone completely blind. We knew she had vision problems but she'd started missing gateways and bumping into things. We think possibly her hearing had gone downhill too. I broke her in myself when she was 2 so we'd had half my life with each other. I still burst into tears regularly but I know my angel daughter Ellen now has a lovely horse to ride. Fortunately I have her son and daughter in the paddock and my Andalusian mare will soon be coming home from the lease she's on. The hardest thing about saying goodbye to her was that she was fat and healthy apart from being blind.

I am a riding coach and work part time. I am registered EA/NCAS so have jumped through the hoops for a qualification and have insurance etc.

I run clinics in body awareness riding and I coach a LOT.
    My horses live here at home and I broke in my Pure Arabian grey gelding. I sent my young black arab/wb mare off to one of my students to start as I'd taught her how to break in and I wanted the horse done consistently which was hard to do with my baby.
    I am about to get back to riding after being in a bad car accident about 18 months ago. I can't wait!!!!!

Today I have one of my clients show horses here and I just finished plaiting and show prepping him for her to take to Cooma show tomorrow.
    My life is horses!

Out of interest my old mare was happily in a stable/yard every night as I don't like to hammer my limited paddock space with them out 24/7 she seemed to cope well. I always rug when they are stabled in winter 'cause I don't think they can move enough to stay warm when space is restricted. I LURVE prydes feeds too!

Sorry to hear about your girl, kateo. Heartbreaking Wish I lived closer to you, a body awareness clinic sounds cool!

We've decided against the enforced stabling. The shed will be made available to him and if he wants to go in, he can. I'm going to increase the rug thickness and add in a neck rug and/or hood. Plus bringing over the bigger horse will hopefully add in some warmth as well as company!

Thanks for the feedback about the intro. I think it'll take some time for me to relax. The other horse has been in with a yearling for a while and has been teaching him how to be a horse as he was hand reared as his mother died. So I've seen him both placid and bossy! If it doesn't work out, we can always send him home again (he belongs to a friend who is resting him at the moment).

In a house, on a hill with a big fat welcome mat!

kateo sorry about your loss. I had to have my old show pony pts earlier this year, she was 35 and I had owned her since she was 5 broke my heart but I stayed with her til the end.
    Off to SIEC tomorrow to watch EA NSW HOTY, fun to watch and not have to get a horse ready!

Thanks girls. I don't know where you are but before I was a mum I travelled to teach body awareness.....it's amazing how much it can help with any discipline.
    I am planning a clinic in Melb later in the year I hope.
    Did one in Perth a good few years ago.....it's so much fun watching horses faces when their people "get" it :-)
    A friend and I popped up to Horse World to watch the hacks go 'round a few weeks ago..........gosh there were some lovely horses and some ordinary work-outs. Lovely show though but I prefer to compete at SIEC
    I think one of my clients is off to HOTY this year.......haven't heard from her for a bit as she's going pretty steady since the royal here.
    The horse that was here today was a complete pain and wouldn't get on the float yet he was a total angel about getting plaited. His rider was driving to the show this evening so I hope to god she got there OK.......still waiting for a call.....arrggghhh. It's awful driving somewhere new with a horse and arriving in the dark!
    Does anyone else manage to compete and juggle a little person?
    Also my good mate offered to loan me a 8hh pony for my son. Has anyone else done the lead rein thing? I was hoping we'd avoid getting him a pony until he's really keen on it. It is however very tempting .............

I used to enjoy all the big arab shows........trained a lot with a bloke called Shane Ackerly but I don't think he rides much anymore. I used to do side-saddle and costume as well as hacking and dressage.......the old mare got a few blues for working stock-horse too!

Oh Joeve! I'm so sorry! What happened?

Kateo- I'm in Melb. I know exactly what you're talking about with the horse's face. They have so much expression! My boy was the one we'd let our friends ride and he would play up something terrible if they didn't know what they were doing. And then he'd look at me as if to say "who me?" Lol!

She had a cancer in her eye. We were booked to have her eye removed as I worked out the GA risk was worth the benefit if the surgery worked. Anyway before the op she developed a sinus infection. So lots of penicillin shots and syringes of oral antibiotics over a 2 month period never got her over it. Which is normal but she was comfy on some oral painkillers (like bute but less severe on the tummy). Then she went off her food and her sinus cavity on the near side swelled. The only action was really under GA surgery to clean out the cavity etc but given she also had the eye thing we felt it was all too much.
    So I had to make a call on it. Her last day I gave her an awesome bath and massage which she always loved and she did a wobbly canter down the paddock after.

What a perfect last day for her. I'm sorry that she's no longer with you

Having a bit of a worry moment. I'm leaving my boy for two weeks as we're going away and have made arrangements for him to be looked after by a neighbour. He's being moved to her property as if he goes wandering on ours, she'll have to hunt for him, whereas on her's, he can be seen at all times.

We have sorted out feeds. He 'll be fed only once a day as she can't manage two due to her commitments. I know he won't eat everything in one hit and had accepted that he'll probably eat the hard food and go back for the chaff later. But I've just been told that another neighbour has asked to have her horses moved into the property. I think there are three. So I have to hope that my non hay very little grass eating old man gets his food without being pushed away by three horses. It takes him up to two hours to get through his feeds as it is.

All the weight gain work I've been doing for the last six months is going to take a massive backwards leap And he's going to have to stand up for himself or go hungry.

Oh no! Can you put a temp electric fence on your property to minimize his paddock so he can stay separate?
    He probably will be bullied off his food.

Ahhh, all fixed! I spoke to the owner of the other horses and she said there's no way hers wouldn't push him away from his food so she offered to come here each day to feed him. So he can stay home where he is comfortable and he'll be looked after! Such relief!

What a relief. Not having to move him sounds like a much better idea.

Well my gorgeous black clydesdale had a stunning filly this morning. She is just delightful. It wasn't smooth sailing although her birth was. I had the vet out at 4hours of age for a retained placenta and baby needed a plasma transfusion as she was very slow to get up and slow to feed. Of all nights we are having a storm so I have had to bring them under the hay shed which is not ideal as there is a tractor in there too with pokey bits but I was so worried about the foalie. I hope they will be ok.

Congratulations Mildez! That's so exciting! I'm sure they'll be very happy to be out of the storm tonight. Hope they are both well in no time.

Page 6 of 6 FirstFirst ... 456