12311 ...

thread: Poultry Keeping General Discussion #2

Jul 2005
    Sydney

Poultry Keeping General Discussion #2

A very warm welcome to the Poultry Keeping General Discussion sticky thread.

This thread is for you to share your experiences keeping chickens, ducks, geese, etc. If you are new to keeping poultry this is a great place to ask questions about how to get started, if you are well along on your poultry keeping journey please come and share your story, if you are an old-hand at keeping poultry wed love for you to share some of your wisdom and experience.

Your mod/admin team for this forum are:

Rouge - Administrator
    Jennifer13 - Senior Moderator

Moderator and Administrator contact details are HERE

If you wish to subscribe to this thread without posting, you may do so via the Thread Tools at the top of the page.

Your previous thread is here.

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

We made our own nesting boxes out of stuff DP had, nice & spacious too

Wormer Help?

Can anyone help me work out just how much of this to give the girls?

1. I don't know how much each chook weighs & i have silkies aswell as isa browns.
    2. Instead of doing it based on their whole water feeder i assume i just do it as the smallest amount nof water needed in a seperate bowl and remove the water hanger for the afternoon?

So it says : Liveweight Kg - 3 - amount of water 100ml with 8 drops per mL ? and then goes up from there (as per pic).
    I hate maths and i'm not feeling well today so if someone can PLEASE HELP ME....

Sent from my iPhone, more than likely while I should be doing something else!

Mar 2007

Just found this thread

We have 7 chooks, Ancona bantams, Plymouth rocks, leghorns, on a nearly half acre block.

ZF not sure about that worming as my dh does ours I refuse to do it lol he uses a vitriol? Or something like that and doses them
    Individually

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

Thanks Hun, a mod on a poultry forum worked out the dose for me.
    We've decided if the girls get out we won't rush in to put them back, our cat & dogs don't attack them & they have 4acres of property so hopefully wouldn't go near the road.
    They have their own paddock & rarely get out. But I won't be stressing so
    Much if they do.
    Dora was out & hanging around the house yesterday

Mar 2007

Our chooks are free range/roam too & our staffy doesn't bother them. She eats their scraps though but they are used to her now. Our puppy though is bothering them a little but she will learn....

We love the lifestyle that comes with having chooks. It's so great for the kids hey?!?!

Jul 2005
    Sydney

Our Jack Russell isn't interested in the chooks, but our second one that died last year would have killed them. Our remaining dog just goes hunting for their scraps too. They carry on if he gets too close.

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

The kids love them Shanti, they just want to spend so much time with them and the chooks are quite good with them now, they follow the kids to the chicken hotel and once i've picked them up will let the girls hold them

Mar 2007

It's cute!! DD1 who is 3, carries the small ancona bantams around as they are super placid and they have been put down the slide on her lap, pushed in the dolls pram, you name it!! Lol! She loves them.
    We got them when she was 14mths..and the novelty has never worn off. DD2 who is nearly 1 is just becoming interested now and she kisses them lol

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

Spoke too soon, 1 of the dogs got at Hird The Bird - DD1 is devestated so she's in our shower downstairs with some water.
    We are letting her rest then I wish her off later and maybe use a bit of beta fine on her
    I hope she's ok, the girls will be so upset!

Oct 2007
    Middle Victoria

oh no, poor chook. how is she now?

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

She's not using her leg, is eating but very lethargic.
    I've given her a wash with saline, she has 1 bigger cut, 1 that's clotted already then a few puncture marks
    Got the heater on and letting her rest, hope she makes it but the leg use worries me.

Jul 2005
    Sydney

ZF, she'll probably need antibiotics. They aren't that expensive. Our poor girl was at death's door after a dog got her but after a shot of steroids and ABs and lots of TLC, she pulled through. She couldn't even stand and would just sleep for a few days. (I found her on her back with her legs in the air and ants already on her...)

Our vet didn't hold out much hope but gave her the right treatment. She understood that she was our pet, not 'just' a chicken.

She still has a limp now and with her feathers still growing back she's a bit of a sight! But she's getting there.

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

DP prob won't go with a vet visit for a $6 chicken DD2 is on AB's at the moment and wanted to give her chicken medicine... Lucky it's child proof

BellyBelly Member

Nov 2004
    VIC

Coop is finally ready and we are hopefully getting our first chooks tommorow!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so excited
    will be back when we get our new babes!!!

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

Yay *det* nice work.

Put some betadine in HTB and gave her some more water, let's see how she goes!

Jul 2009
    Out North, Vic

She made it through the night, she's eating & drinking (when i offer her the water) and seems a little more alert.
    1 wound that i can see without poking too much still seems to be a bit wet (could be the betadine too though) but i haven'd checked the others.
    Will let her rest a bit more this morning and then go in and apply some more betadine, will prob wash it out with saline again first though and see if we can't clean it up a bit better.

Will it hurt her if i pull some feathers around the wound to make it easier to get too and clean?

She's still not using her leg & is on a lean, but it looks like she has moved it a little more than last night but i really do feel it's not right, if she can't use her leg in the next couple of days (no matter how well her wounds are healing) we will have to put her out of her misery

Jul 2005
    Sydney

The problem is that pretty much all dog bites will get infected. Our vet only charged us $18 for the chicken appt and the ABs were about $20. So it's not like taking a dog.

Nae had the best advice for me when our chicken got attacked as she had similar a month earlier. I'll see if I can find it and copy it here.

Jul 2005
    Sydney

Nae pretty much said it's a when it gets infected, not if, because of the bacteria on canine teeth. Someone else said they've previously mashed up a little bit of human ABs to give to chooks (I'd get her weight first and cut down accordingly) and that worked.

Hope she's okay.

12311 ...