Thread: Two lives saved.

Smile Two lives saved.

Last week DS and I drove a 13 hour overnight trip to pick up our dog that we are adopting.

Fred we think is Kelpie cross some sort of wire haired breed, perhaps a Wolfhound cross, perhaps a Jack Russell cross (anyone's guess). He has had a rough start to life I suspect, he was picked up with a length of rope tied very tightly around his neck and wounds all over his back. Despite whatever has happened he is a very lovely dog. He has slotted in nicely to life here.

While in the process of our application DH tells me that a beautiful, crazy, hyper, sweet German Short Paired Pointer has come into the pound. So I had my work cut out to convince DH that we should have both dogs.

Today Katy joined our family She too has made herself very at home and we all could not be happier, well maybe not Peter our kitten who could handle Fred but is outnumbered now.

When I decided to start looking I knew I would find the right dog oneday and that it would be a dog that needed a forever home. Just so happens that there were two dogs out there in need. Both need a lot of training (gets me how people can have dogs and not teach them even basics like sit) but they are both eager to learn. I sure have my hands full now.

Default Re: Two lives saved.

Well done!!

Yay for your new family members Good on you for choosing rescue dogs.

It always makes me wonder how people can have a dog and not even teach it the very basic commands. We got a foxy cross from the pound about 5 months ago and at about one year old his lack of training was unbelievable! He toileted inside, chewed everything, nipped the kids, chewed hands whenever you tried to pat him, wet himself if you growled, wandered down the street, snatched food off the kids and most frustrating of all he just wouldn't come when he was called. It has taken a while and to be honest there were times when I could have given up on him (like the time he chewed three shoes in 4 days GRRRR). But it is worth the effort and he is a good little dog now. Still room for improvement but we will get there.

Yay- awesome to have two new family members. A similar thing happened to us about a year ago. I ended up with 2 rescue boys.

That must be a beautiful feeling, knowing you have saved these dogs and giving them a future, awesome.

Regards,
    Dianne

Nice work! It will be a tough road, as they will need to learn a lot with you, but it will be worth it! I have two rescue dogs myself and foster occasionally too.

I am constantly astounded, disgusted, and disheartened at how some people treat their pets, but then along comes a person like you willing to give them a second chance at life and I know there's good out there :-)

Me too HB. It was heartbreaking going through all the adoption pages and reading some of the stories behind so many. So many times I had to stop looking because it made me so sad that there are so many dogs needing homes.

Artechim, could not agree more.

wahoo! Bet those pups are just stoked to be living the dream!