thread: Wanting to get a new cat/kitten - is there any pros/cons for male v female?

Oct 2007
    Sydney

Thanks for all the replies! I asked DH what his reasoning was for not getting females and he said (amongst others) that he heard that they squat to wee on the grass and it kills the grass, where males pee in the bushes? Any truth to that - sounds a tad random to me

Mar 2004
    Sparta

Most cats prefer to pee in sand or loose dirt not on the grass because they want to scratch it up afterwards.

Aug 2006
    On the other side of this screen!!!

Yep, random.

Feb 2006
    Newcastle, NSW

I prefer male cats to females. I find them much more affectionate.
    Female cats can spray too, it is disgusting from either sex. We weren't sure it was normal so called our vet and he told us that it is an undesexed females way of attracting a mate. Yuck.
    I am definitely going to be desexing my next cat very early on to hopefully stop any spraying. My gorgeous male cat that passed away in 07 wasn't desexed and he never sprayed. I think it comes down to the cat.

May 2012
    Perth, Western Australia

Thanks for all the replies! I asked DH what his reasoning was for not getting females and he said (amongst others) that he heard that they squat to wee on the grass and it kills the grass, where males pee in the bushes? Any truth to that - sounds a tad random to me
    Are you sure he wasn't thinking of dogs when he said this?