Thread: Microlut mini pill

Question Microlut mini pill

Howdy All,

Just wondering, can someone please explain in laments terms just how this works? do you get a period (there are no sugar pills) I have only ever been on the Levlin Ed so have no idea with this stuff .... I have started taking it even though I have not yet had a period because this is what my dr recommended ...

Also I have been feeling quite sick on it has anyone else had this??

Nae x

The mini pill is progesterone in a very small dose. It thickens your CM, and makes your uterine lining unsuitable for implantation.
    You can get your period regularly with the mini pill, but it can also cause no period or even irregular spotting through out usage.
    I have never actually used it, but I am assuming nausea may be a side affect.
    Has that helped?

yes thank you Tanya - can you accidently fall pregnant on it? or does it have the same protection as the full pill? Also - sorry for picking your brain - would we need to wait a month before we dtd just using this as protection ?

ta muchly x

Yes you can fall pregnant on it... I think it's 97% effective if used as directed (where as the eostrogen pill is 99%). You can start relying on it after 3 days of taking it

Hi Nae,

I was on this for a short while from Oct 09 til Dec 09...

My OB said it has to be taken at EXACTLY the same time every day (think you have an hour leeway) or you lose the effectiveness - from what i gathered it would be very easy to fall pregnant if you didnt take the pills on time. I struggled with that. I was told that you could take 1 in the morning at say 9am and another at night at say 9pm each day and you would be covered either way if you forgot one. You would fly through them though by taking two a day. I also had regular spotting....

The reason i went off it was because i became sooooooo moody - it played havoc with my hormones. It is meant to be better for people who suffer from Migraines - i started to get more headaches again. Its not for me....But thats just my experience !

HTH

xoxox

ETA - just read the instructions enclosed: it does say in the list of side effects that nausea is possible, as is vomiting, dizziness and the list goes on. It does say to discuss with your Dr or Pharmacist if it worries you...
    If you miss a pill - use additional forms of contraception for 7 days after.
    Last edited by Jahzara; January 4th, 2010 at 09:03 PM. Reason: ETA

I've been taking it since about 4 weeks after DS was born and really haven't had any problems with it. I did have a bit of spotting for 3 or 4 weeks to begin with (but it was hard to tell if that was from the pill or post natal bleeding), but haven't got AF back yet (mind you I have a friend whose been on it for ages and doesn't get periods). You do have to be careful when you take it, but the info in the pack says it should be within 3 hours of the usual time. I take it at night before I go to bed so don't really have any probs with this. Not sure about the nausea though, how long has it been going on?

Good questions Nae I asked my group the same thing yesterday.

I started taking it a couple of weeks ago - and it has given me like morning sickness again. I even took a preg test this morning because it gave me a panic attack! So it was negative -so i am guessing it is the pill making me feel so sick.

I'm not sure what to do though - can you take the other pills when you are breastfeeding? I guess not - the hormones would be too strong.
    Bit worrying.

I tried it for a while after DS1 was born but it just didn't agree with me. I had constant spotting so I stopped.

Quote Originally Posted by Sanchez View Post
    I'm not sure what to do though - can you take the other pills when you are breastfeeding? I guess not - the hormones would be too strong.
    No you cannot take the normal pill if breastfeeding, the estrogen effects the supply of breast milk (stops it) or so I have been told. I think the nausea is caused by the pill I guess its just a matter of getting use to it again afterall its been 30 months since I have been on any sort of pill. Its horrid really but I'd rather that then use other forms of protection or fall pregnant so soon after missy I mean I want my children close in age but not that close

I too have just filled a prescription for this but haven't started taking it. I'm hesitating for some reason... I don't want to fall pregnant but i'm just not sure about taking this either. I too was told you have to take it at the same time every day and haven't gotten my head around a safe place to put it where i will remember it at the same time every day without it being in reach of my DS1 (bedside table just isn't safe). Little things i know but hearing you talk about the side effects you have expereinced i'm hesitating even more

Myboys, you might not have any side effects at all not everyone does. As for the same time everyday, i am always up by 8 infact anything past 7 is a sleep in and i am very lucky to have a paranoid hubby who alway asks if i have taken it

NaeNae It should be hard to forget between the two of you then

I could just give it a go and see if i am hopeless and forget. I hope i'm not one that it doesn't agree with though