Thread: Mini Pill/Pill Whats the diff...and what can I take while Breastfeeding?

Default Mini Pill/Pill Whats the diff...and what can I take while Breastfeeding?

Okay, I haven't been on the Pill since I was like 18, and I am nearly 30, so I totally forget what the deal is...

Just wondering what the difference between the Pill and Mini Pill, and what is best/safe to take while Breastfeeding??

Any reccomendations on brands etc?

Also, how soon can I start taking it after birth????

Thanks in advance

The pill is alot stronger than the mini pill. The normal pill can dry up your breast milk, the mini pill shouldn't, so the mini pill is recommended while BFing

The Pill is the one which actually stops ovulation.
    Minipill makes your uterus more hostile for implantation and all the juices less healthy for sperm to penetrate.
    Minipill is slightly less effective that the pill, but in combination with breastfeeding it is supposed to be pretty top notch

Minipill is the BF safe one, the pill will reduce your supply IIRC.
    You can start taking it immediately

The mini pill is progesterone only whilst the combined 'regular' pill is oestrogen and progesterone. You can only take the mini pill while BF for the reasons Clover explained above

Like the others have said - the Pill is prog/oest while the MiniPill is prog only - which means that it doesn't prevent ovulation, just prevents implantation.

For me - I wont take the minipill, as it could still result in fertilisation of an egg. Im not happy with letting an egg fertilise, but then choose to destroy it by not letting it implant.
    That is just my own personal feeling though.

Hi,

The combined pill is not suitable for a breastfeeding mother. The oestrogen is a show stopper when it comes to milk supply. Oestrogen will suppress your milk supply. If you are fully breastfeeding with no other supplements AND your baby is under 6 mnths old AND you haven't had a period, then it is almost impossible to get pregnant. (This method Lactational Amenorrhea is 97-98% effective) but if any of the conditions are breached (ie you give formula, get your period or your baby is over 6mnths) then all bets are off and you need another form of contraceptive. The minipill is generally regarded to be effective for breastfeeding mums

Quote Originally Posted by sneakysparkle View Post
    Like the others have said - the Pill is prog/oest while the MiniPill is prog only - which means that it doesn't prevent ovulation, just prevents implantation.

For me - I wont take the minipill, as it could still result in fertilisation of an egg. Im not happy with letting an egg fertilise, but then choose to destroy it by not letting it implant.
    That is just my own personal feeling though.
    I have the same feelings but not sure what to use... any experience on something else?

Theres only really condoms or diaphragms, or less reliable things like withdrawal and only dtd when not ovulating.
    Its hard isn't it?!