Thread: Mini Pill Questions

Default Mini Pill Questions

We had DD's 8 week check yesterday, and the Dr asked how I was going on the mini pill. I said it's all fine, I'm really happy with it. He then mentioned that if AF returns it may not be as effective, and so we should consider alternative methods of contraception.

Is the mini pill supposed to stop AF coming? And if it doesn't and AF may come back at any time and then I'll need to switch contraception anyway, what's the point of the mini pill? What's is even doing?

I really should have asked all these questions at the Dr, I just thought when it was combined with breastfeeding it was an effective contraception. Now I'm all confused!

I was on the mini pill after having DD and I was breastfeeding but AF still returned.

My OB never said anything about the mini pill not being enough?

I had a brainwave and checked that info that comes in the pack - dunno why I didn't think of that before lol. Apparently it doesn't stop ovulation, it just makes it harder for sperm to reach the egg, and makes the uterus unfavourable for implantation. So I guess if AF comes back it should still be doing it's thing.

For some reason he said it's usually fine for the first 6 months and can be less effective after that?

I think they say that after 6 months it may not be as effective due to possibl bub going longer between feeds? This may not be right though. I am on mini pill and BF and AF not returned as yet DD is 6 months old today. Any with DS I BF for 14 months was on mini pill the entire time and it didn't come back until he weaned himself down to just a night feed.

I think it just depends on the individual. All my friends went on the mini pill and got AF back between 6-9 months. I didn't get it back til DS' 1st birthday. Never heard of it not being effective though!

I am taking the mini-pill and BF with FF comps. AF has not returned yet. I did ask my ob if I would get my period whilst taking the mini pill and he said some women do and some don't. He certainly didn't indicate that I would have to change contraceptives if AF returned.

Off topic, but I'm taking Microlut... every time I see the box I read it Micro****. My pill is calling me a tart!!

ETA... oooh, I got edited!! Micro S lut. Is that a really naughty word? It's not nice, but I didn't think it would be removed!!

I've never hear anything like that! I went on the mini pill when I had DS and AF came back around 10 months. I weaned DS at 21 months but kept taking it until May this year (so nearly 2 years) when we started TTC. I've also had friends who have been on it for years because the normal pill didn't gave them nasty side effects, and none of them every had an 'accident'.

Everything I know about it is that it is very effective if taken at the same time each day.... But... No contraception is 100% effective.

Are you sure your doc didn't just want to talk you into having an IUD?

Thanks everyone, that's reassuring He never mentioned an IUD so I don't think he had an agenda, plus he knows I was on the regular pill before TTC. I was wondering if the 6 month thing was about dropping feeds too, because he asked how long I plan to breastfeed, and talked about starting to introduce solids at 6 months.

But it is nice to know I still may not get AF and when I do it's still doing something. And I'll take that little chance we may get pregnant earlier than expected

Nickle, I'm on the same one, it gets me every time!