Thread: Pill & weight gain?

Question Pill & weight gain?

Hello!!

I am planning to take a visit to my doctor very soon to get a perscription for the pill. Its been nearly 2 years since being on the pill and I started it oh-so many years ago that I dont really know what happened!

I know that everyone is different, but did you gain weight while you were/are on the pill?

I am worried that I am going to gain weight (cause I've worked so hard to get it off since DD) but we arent going to have a baby any time soon and I have not heard any good stuff about the rod thingy that goes in your arm.

I dont sit on my butt all day long, I am active and go to the gym each morning and go for a walk and run in the evening followed by 15 mins of ab work. So I am hoping that with my level of physical activity, I am not going to put on any weight

paradise lost Guest

The hormones in the Pill and other hormonal contraceptives can increase your appetite, but you have to ACTUALLY eat more to gain weight I gained 3kg on the pill and 5kg on the Depo shot when i was inactive and ate carelessly. I've had the Mirena for 20 months and not gained a pound, but i'm active and more careful about what i eat now

Bx

For me five kilos mostly due to water retentions. and a cup size

Ah righti-o then.

I eat really well 90% of the time but I think when I go on the pill I will probably be extra EXTRA careful, just to be sure..

Hmm water retention aye?? Can anything be done to avoid that?! hehe dont know if I will get it but want to be prepared!
    Last edited by Ngala; August 27th, 2008 at 11:04 PM.

I think there is something you can take to elimiate water retention. I learnt something about it when i was looking into herbalife. Maybe chitosan? Hmm ill have a google

I might be wrong, but I always thought that drinking water can help you not retain water *ducks*

I did not gain any weight when I started my Pill when I was 18. I was active and outdoors, but ate like a pig also. I was just lucky, maybe. Also did not gain weight after I had dd and went back on the Pill, but I was more consious and making an effort to lose baby-fat

I don't think you need to worry about it. Just eat healthy and stay active. Like Bec said, you actually have to EAT more to gain weight

I carried an extra 5kg when I was taking the pill. Once I stopped the extra weight fell off. I won't take the pill again. I feel it screwed up my hormones and was a contributing factor in my endometriosis. I felt soooo much better off the pill.

Nadine you are right about the water. The more you drink, the more efficiently your body processes it. The less you drink the more your body retains it.

I stacked weight on once I went off the pill so it can work the opposite way too.

Thanks everyone for your responses!

I've booked in to see the doctor today to get a prescription so I guess we will see what happens to me - hopefully its the opposite effect, but if its not, then I guess it will be back to the condoms! LOL