Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Should I go off the pill?

Default Should I go off the pill?

I have been on the same pill for 8 years (Dianne) and my GYN wants to change it following my lap next month, should it prove that I have endometriosis. I am thinking about just giving it up all together and using condoms.

I haven't discussed it with DH yet and I don't think he'll be too keen on the idea but I would love to give my body a break. I've only had two years of normal AF so I have no idea what my cycle is like. We hope to TTC mid to late next year and we hadn't planned for me to go off the pill until June.

Has anyone else faced this dilemma? How did you explain it to your DH that you didn't want to stay on the pill (but weren't ready to TTC yet)?

I am tempted to tell a white lie and say the GYN recommended I go off it .

I don't want to go off in the hope I will fall pregnant sooner - I just want to have a natural, normal cycle again.

Amy - I was on the same pill for about 10 years and went off it in November 2005 - not to conceive - but I wanted a break.

We used condoms until April 2006 when we decided we wanted to TTC - we fell pregnant the first cycle and has DS in Jan 2007.

I didn't want to pump my body full of chemicals so didn't bother going back on it - and still haven't. I figure, the lack of time to DTD after children is a good enough method of birth control...lol

I had a few issues with the pill, so DH was understanding when I told him I was going off it. He was very, very good about using condoms after that too, as at the time we (more him than me!) weren't ready for kids.

If you want to give your body a break from the pill - go for it.

It's a fair call to give your body a break, especially in the light of any potential problems with your plumbing.

Maybe remind him that HE also can take responsibility for contraception too?

I'll never go back on the pill, its a pain in the butt and makes lots of us go crazy. Hey you might even uncover a libido you never knew you had.....tell him that too

Yup Im not going back on the pill either.

Messes with my body, my head, and hey like Lulu said, sex drive!!!

The sex drive thing has always been an issue - it's a catch 22 isn't it? I'll have a higher sex drive but he'll have to use annoying condoms (which I don't care much for either).

Has anyone seen improvement in the symptoms of endo and not being on the pill?

Hun, the pill screwed me sideways - in more ways than one! There is no way I will ever pump that chemical crap into me ever again. DH completely understands and does not want me on it. Do some googling as to what it does to you.

Then our second prob - I am allergic to latex! So we have to buy the latex free condoms. They are onto version 2 now - which arent as good feeling as the first ones - but, they feel soooooo much more natural than the regular type. Unfortunately they are also more exxy.

They are called Durex Avanti (i think - we havent needed them for a while!!)

I am happy to use them if it means I can get back to regular hormones and functioning again. After being told that my pill is doing more damage than good in my case I am more sure than ever that I don't want to be on it anymore.

But DH will fight me tooth and nail about having to use condoms. I can deal with a few days of crabbiness and I know in the end he will understand - but I don't want to take away any pleasure from him either.

yep i'd go off it. maybe make a deal, condoms = more booty time

Hun you should talk with your FS first. Endo reacts to hormonal changes this is why endo can cause scarring and adhesions during the monthly cycle. I am not sure how the pill or not being on the pill would be affecting any endo you may have now, but if you do end up having endo your doctor may then want you to go on a drug treatment (like Syneral) for a few months to ensure any remaining bits are knocked out. This could also affect when you start TTC - something to talk through in detail with your FS before and after your lap.

Condoms are not the only other method of contraception!. I hated being on the pill. If you get to know your cycle (which will take a while especially coming off the pill) you will be able to know when it is safe to have sex and when you will need condoms. Look into the Billings Method (it also helps if you actually want to conceive too!!). This is how we don't get pregnant and if we really have to do it when I am fertile we use condoms then. I like it cos I'm not putting horrible chemicals into my body,I am more in tune with my body and we are both responsible for not having babies!

Good luck with talking your partner into using condoms. We had several discussions about that after bubs was born & I got absolutely nowhere with it.

I'd always said there was no way known I'd go back on the pill. I was not willing to let nature take it's course so soon after giving birth so ended up on the minipill as he just couldn't be talked around. I didn't fancy any of the other options & abstaining during the first half of the cycle (seeing he wouldn't have a bar of condoms - no pun intended)just wouldn't happen.

Yeah but you have got to weigh it up Amy - you being full of crappy chemicals and him getting more pleasure.....come on now. Its a no brainer. There are plenty of contraceptive methods, and the pill really sucks.

I totally agree with catherinemoses, without the pill I am so much more in tune with my body that we use Billings as well..

I will look into Billings. I'm not going to bring it up with him until after the surgery. I'm probably worried about nothing and he will be really fine about it () but until then there isn't much point as the GYN told me to stay on the pill until my lap and we would reassess after that. I also don't want to have AF around that time so I need to stay on it for that reason as well.

I think I've made up my mind though - I've been pumping this **** into my body for 8 years and I bet I won't even know myself when I'm off it. Just think... I haven't ovulated in 8 years!!!!

You may very well be surprised by him, Amy. My DH had no issues at all with me going off the pill, once I explained that I was worried for my health. That sort of flicked a switch in him and he was totally cool. In fact, he would rather rely on condoms than Billings (though I'm really glad I charted for a good year after coming off the pill - was great for my confidence in my body even if DH didn't share it LOL!).
    You can also look into a diaphragm, even for sometimes? I haven't used one before, but as I said DH was agreeable and I was happy to leave it up to him
    Good luck with it all, mate. As I said, don't lose hope - he may very well surprise you.

the billings method will be the one i will be usuing when we decide to dtd again ... its natural and you'll know your body intimaley and be much more proud of it too !!

DH hates condoms too .. we are lucky that our dodgy "pull out" method has never ended in a PG ..BUT we are wanting more kids so if id did t would be ok .. but honestly i would rather fall pg on pourpose than fall pg on the pull out method ... id like to know that we meant to concieve .. kwim ..

and im not ready to look in to female condoms or diaprams (sp)

the pill screwed me too .. hate it am never touching any sort of assisted contraception again !!!

Just note though - I was charting - checking mucous, postion and temping every day. We waited 3 days after ov to DTD - and didnt DTD for at least 7 days before i was due to ov..... and yet there is a little unit cooking away in here! (there was a second temp dip after we dtd after ov tough - doc believes i ov'd twice)..... just mentioning this because no contraception is 100% and you need to be comfortable (both you and him!!!) with whatever you decide.

I actually wouldn't mind a diaphram. Does anyone use one? I've never really looked into it before but that might be a good option.

Information please ladies!!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast