Thread: Yasmin- the cause for my crazily angry moodiness?

Default Yasmin- the cause for my crazily angry moodiness?

I have started this contraceptive pill a week ago... i am experiencing bad mood swings and im sooooo snappy, yelling and getting angry at my bf.

Is it the pill to blame?

I know that changing hormonal balance is hard for your body to adjust... and i think im super sensitive to this cause i get pms real bad..

Please share some tips on different pills cause i think i should change..

Hi Stacey - I've been on yasmin a couple of times. Most recently I started again after 2 years off the pill. I'm half way through my 2nd month now. I did notice a couple of days where I was a bit snappy, but nothing too dramatic.

Maybe wait a few weeks and see if it improves?

Sometimes I find if I feel overly snappy/sensitive, I just let Mr P know and apologise in advance!

I think yasmin is meant to be good for clearing up your skin too, so if that's something you could benefit from, maybe stick with it a little longer?

I tried yasmin many years ago and it made me so weird - I would get up in the morning and walk along the wall for support - i was so dizzy and yuck! Just too strong for me.

So yeah it can have harsh side effects...

yasmin sent me into fits of hysteria and anger. i also tried brenda and diane, similar effects, so for me it was back to condoms...

Melbourne, Victoria, Australia, Australia

The pill can actually cause depression. Its not good. I have gone off it recently myself, first month off and I am getting acupuncture instead.
    Kelly xx

Creator of BellyBelly.com.au, doula, writer and mother of three amazing children
    Author of Want To Be A Doula? Everything You Need To Know
    In 2015 I went Around The World + Kids!
    Forever grateful to my incredible Mod Team

I had horrible reactions to the pill, so we've been a condom couple.

Yep, me too horrible reactions to the pill, I must have been on ten or a dozen at different times. Triphasil made me break out, Diane made me puke, Marvelon made me crazy (and that was one I could tolerate quite well).
    Very happy with the diaphragm though..... although haven't needed it for a while I will be needing a new one soon!

I would say, give it a few weeks to allow your system to get used to it and if you're still feeling yuck and not yourself, see your doctor and discuss with them, based on your symptoms, which pill might be better for you. Honestly it varies from person to person. I used to suffer from horrendous life-altering PMT which was bad when I was off the pill and even worse when I was on triphasic (three colour) and biphasic (two colour) pills, and found that I got a really good result from Marvelon first and then Microgynon 20 which I stayed on for several years. Both of these are a single colour pill all the way around the packet as well as being a different family of hormones to others that are more commonly used. Best to discuss with your doctor or family planning clinic, they should have a chart of which pills are best based on what sorts of side effects you've had until now. I hope that helps.

Thanks for all your replies girls... Marydean that was great advice thanx

I will wait and see how i go in the next couple of weeks and book in with my doctor if i still dont feel right...

Its crappy that we haveto go through more emotional crap just so we dont get pregnant...i hate the whole idea of pumping our bodies with more hormones.. esp. cos before i started my pill i felt great and my periods were light and had no probs at all

hi stacey..i just posted in another thread about yasmin. I was on it for 6 long months and decided to stop it a month ago due to shocking mood swings and absolutely no libido. It was a horrible 6 months and it all started after going on the pill...unfortunately it didn't get better for me just worse. one month of it and i am back to normal...definitely a nicer person to be around and i have my libido back!! So it definitely could be the pill, like suggested speak to your dr. I decided i didn't want to try any others as we will probably TTC in the next 3 months or so therefore we are doing the condom thing (horridly annoyng but at least we are dtd..on Yasmin i could count the amount of times i was in the mood!!). Good luck.

After terrible depressive side effects on Microgynon, I found Yasmin a huge relief with no side effects. But I only took it for a month (for timing of IVF), so I don't know the longer term effects. My sister also had terrible time with Microgynon and now loves Yasmin as her contraceptive choice. Seems we all react quite differently.

Definitely see you Dr if you experience negative side effects as you can explore other contraceptive options.

BeccaLee Guest

Hi Stacey83,

You may like to try a natural remedy for the moodiness caused by Yasmin.

I recently went off the pill (July 11th) and was due for my period over a week ago but it's not yet shown up. I went to a vitamin store, spoke with a Naturopath and they suggested "Vitex" to get my cycle back on track. Good thing about this vitamin is it helps remedy moodiness, cramping, bloating etc.

Maybe give that a try?

Hope you feel better soon!